2nd gear and Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 06:51 AM
No-navi, yo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gear and Reverse

This is my first post, yet, I have been lurking for about a month. Just brought home a 2004 TSX, CG (yeah I know, NOT ANOTHER ONE!!) w/o Navi, last week. This is my first MT car, and I am still learning how to drive it. Though, I have already made the mistake of shifting out of the gear (into neutral, that's when I caught myself) without pressing down the clutch. How much damage I done by doing that?

Quick questions, upshifting from 1st to 2nd, in order to match the rev, what is the RPM people usually keep at before easing out the clutch to keep the ride smooth.

For backing the car, say in a parking lot, I found myself always have the clutch partial pressed, since I feel the car would accelerate too much if I let go of the clutch completely and with accelerator slightly in. Should I be practicing to let the clutch go completely? Thanks for the answers.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Normally, if the engine wasn't under load, it shouldn't be too bad, but don't make a practice out of it. If you heard a large thud, well it's not too god, but generally not dramatical.

2. I'd say you just wait a little and bring it into gear when the revs have dropped just enough, but you'll get that with practice.

3. Definitely let the clutch out as soon as possible. Hold on to the brake if idling your way in 1st gear is still too fast. But riding out the clutch will induce premature wear.

And before I forget, welcome here, and enjoy yourself.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Instructor

You will find that there are far to many variables to answer that question. Just live with a jerky ride until you figure it out. Once you stop consentrating on not killing the car and shifting smoothly, it will become second nature. Just keep driving and enjoy the car. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day! You will be heel-toe-downshifting before you know it!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
....Just brought home a 2004 TSX, CG (yeah I know, NOT ANOTHER ONE!!)....
Welcome!

Answers:

1. Same as Sauceman.

2. Well this will depend on what RPM you were at in 1st before you shifted (i.e. what speed you're travelling). Match your revs to whatever speed you're at and what RPM you should be at in 2nd gear at that speed. Same goes for other gears.

3. Sauceman's right, but another thing you can do is rev a bit and let the clutch pedal out enough for it to grab (and get you moving), and then push the pedal back down. I don't know if this technique has a name--I call it "stabbing"... It works for getting you out of a parking space and it doesn't cause too much wear. Maybe even less than letting the pedal out fully. It's hard to know.

Enjoy!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:34 PM
No-navi, yo

Thanks for the pointers. I enjoy driving the car a lot, and hopefully I will get better in shifting soon. I am learning a lot from the knowledge passing in this forum, like reving the engine a bit before release clutch at the first gear. That is what I would work on in the next trip.