2006 TSX vs 2006 JETTA 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nwalbert
Thats the point that I was trying to impress upon cp3117, that torque is one part of an equation and is only a benefit if you drive in a certain manner, and I don't expect many TSX drivers to drive that way, or else they wouldn't have a TSX

If you like even power throughout your rpm range, than the Jetta is a better feel for you.

To me, the reason I don't put the Jetta in the same class as the TSX is cause I feel lucky ot have my TSX. I work in a city of roughly 75,000 and when I go to work I see about 20-30 Jetta's everyday. I see 0-1 TSX's. I like that! People turn their head to watch my car, no one watches a Jetta go by.

Will the DSG EVER be in the Jetta? The A4 won't even see it for another year.
haha

that's the oddest reason i've heard to exclude a car in the same class as a tsx...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
None, but I'm not sure what your point is?

So what if VW hasn't been on the 10 Best list or won any awards. By that logic everyone would be driving the same handful of award winning cars.

The point is that you are comparing the TSX Which has been on the list two years running to the Jetta which has not been on the list at least in the last 5 years. It has nothing to do with people driving them, and EVERYTHING to do with the comparison between them which is what this discussion is about.

You also keep mentioning better handling in the Jetta, despite reviews produced here to th contrary? Beyond your own impression, I am guessing your not a professional driver and only test drove the TSX, what gives you this impression?
Are you feeling ok?

I keep mentioning better handling? Really where? Last I checked I said the TSX handled better Since I own one and all.

Where did I ever say the Jetta is better or a better value I think you have me confused with the wrong person.

As for my point. Awards really mean nothing. How many awards did the Chrylser 300 win this past year? Should we all run out an buy one?

Thats why we have choices. Suggesting buying a Jetta over a TSX is a mistake is plain ignorant. Different strokes for different folks. I'd take a TSX over a Jetta any day of the week. But thats becaue it fit my needs, doesn't mean it will fit everyone else's.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Thats the point that I was trying to impress upon cp3117, that torque is one part of an equation and is only a benefit if you drive in a certain manner, and I don't expect many TSX drivers to drive that way, or else they wouldn't have a TSX

If you like even power throughout your rpm range, than the Jetta is a better feel for you.
And this is the point I was trying to get at...I dont like driving at the high rev limits in order to get my power...plus more torque helps with the ole fuel consumption.

Ya its available in the 2.0T/GLI and the TDI....I believe its also available in the A3 from what I have seen...and paddle shifting if on the GLI and audi's
Old 10-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Are you feeling ok?

I keep mentioning better handling? Really where? Last I checked I said the TSX handled better Since I own one and all.

Where did I ever say the Jetta is better or a better value I think you have me confused with the wrong person.

As for my point. Awards really mean nothing. How many awards did the Chrylser 300 win this past year? Should we all run out an buy one?

Thats why we have choices. Suggesting buying a Jetta over a TSX is a mistake is plain ignorant. Different strokes for different folks. I'd take a TSX over a Jetta any day of the week. But thats becaue it fit my needs, doesn't mean it will fit everyone else's.
I was talking to cp3117, not you.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp3117
And this is the point I was trying to get at...I dont like driving at the high rev limits in order to get my power...plus more torque helps with the ole fuel consumption.

OK, so we now agree that the Jetta does not have more power, it is simply better suited for low rev drivers. And the TSX is better suited for High rev drivers.

Ya its available in the 2.0T/GLI and the TDI....I believe its also available in the A3 from what I have seen...and paddle shifting if on the GLI and audi's
The A3 does have the DSG, I am surprised to hear the Jetta's do, thats cool!!! Wonder why A4 didn't get it? Must have something to do with AWD.

You didn't asnwer my question though, what makes you feel that the Jetta handles better?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
rb1, you've been talking about buying a new car for at least 2 years now.

Go buy one already will you
Actually, I was just waiting for the mid-cycle refresh and performance bump. I did the same thing with the Integra when it came out. I sat out the 86 and 87 model years, and they retuned the engine in 88 -- much flatter torque curve -- and regeared the transmission (earlier ones where tway too short) and I bought one.

Anyway, the new Jetta is fugly. I might look at the 4-door GTI if and when it arrives in the Spring. Besides, I haven't bought a different car since I've been talking about maybe getting a TSX either have I?

I was mainly taking issue with some of the performance naysayers. A Jetta 2.0T with a DSG will probably take any stock TSX, manual transmission or otherwise.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

How many Car and Drive 10 Best has the Jetta won in the last 5 years? Or awards of any kind?
The 1.8T was on Ward's Ten Best Engines several times.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:48 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ianS
I am not having the low pressure turbo. I used to have the S70 T5, the 237hp high presure turbo piece of junk.
Yes, I wouldn't get a high pressure turbo car. Even the new 2.0T is only running 11 psi, which is middle of the road as far as they go (about the same as the 180 hp 1.8T). I also wouldn't get a ball-bearing turbo -- oil bearing is the only way to go for longevity.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rb1

I was mainly taking issue with some of the performance naysayers. A Jetta 2.0T with a DSG will probably take any stock TSX, manual transmission or otherwise.

No argument there. Lucky that engine is available is something besides the Jetta.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Race Director

TSX: Made in Japan
Jetta: Made in Mexico

'nuff said

Now if you said the 06 Passat vs. TSX, I would say get the Passat it's German made
Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Instructor

I see that you've cross-posted this here and on vwvortex. I've considered both cars myself. Though I'm currently driving an Audi A4, my last two cars were a 2004 Jetta GLI and an 2004 Acura TL.

Styling is entirely subjective. The Jetta's been criticized for its looks, but the TSX is not the most exciting looking car Acura's ever built, either.

The Jetta will perform better. The 2.0T engine's very torquey, and may even be a little underrated. Some of the chip manufacturers report that in their testing the engine's stock settings produce more power than advertised. The TSX has relatively low torque. To get meaningful horsepower, you really have to rev it up. You will never have the ability to accomplish as much with a chip in the TSX. The 2.0T will allow you to add a lot of horsepower very cheaply.

If you're shopping for an automatic, the DSG in the Jetta is impossible to beat. The TSX automatic is rather boring; in that car I'd definitely want the manual.

IMO, the TSX handles better. The Jetta has a lot of understeer, even with the sport suspension in the American GLI model.

Interior-wise, I think the seats are better in the VW. Slightly better driving position, too. The VW leather seems nicer. Dashboard's are about the same -- the materials may be a little better in the TSX. TSX has a better instrument cluster, but the Jetta's trip computer is very nice. TSX has a new computer coming out that may be better. I don't know anything about that one, but I can tell you the Jetta's computer is even better than the one currently found in the TL.

I think the Jetta's built very well, but the TSX is probably even better. The overall quality of the TSX, in my opinion, is better than the TL. The Jetta's probably in the middle.

You'll get better gas mileage out of the Jetta, especially if you go easy on the gas pedal. It's got less displacement and a more efficient manual transmission.

Good luck. I can't say for sure how I would choose on this one. I would not rule out the Passat. But if I had to consider an Acura against the Jetta, it would be the TSX.

I know that between an A4 and a TL, I would not pick the TL again, even if it had 100 more horsepower.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Interior-wise, I thought the headliner and some of the materials in the Jetta were better, but some of the hard-feeling plastic surfaces in the TSX will probably last longer. It's hard to beat the Jetta's steering wheel, assuming your Canadian car would have the same one as the U.S. GLI.

While any car can be a lemon, no modern car's reliability is abysmal. That said, I'm sure the TSX would be more reliable to own. Neither car's likely to leave you stranded.

BTW, on my previous post I meant the Jetta has a more efficient *automatic* transmission.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Instructor

After ownering the turbo Volvo, I will never never want any Turbo or supercharger on my car. Stright line accerate is not everything.
I agree...somewhat.

Im still young(23) and my last car was a 2003 saab 9-3. It had a 2.0liter engine with a low pressure turbo on it. Dont get me wrong that it was cool to have that novilety, but overall the engine and the car were pieces of crap. I would rather have a better designed engine instead of some some crappy chevy cobalt eco-tec motor with a turbos slapped on it to make up of the short commings of the motor itself.

At this stage in my life i still kinda liked havign the turbo...but i can picture myself being over it since i got a superior preforming car now. But a part of me regrets havign to get rid of that problem ridden, spent 5 weeks in the shop in two months time piece of crap. I still always wanted to take it to colorado, lower the windows and power it thru the mountains while listening to it spool up.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Instructor

The Jetta 2.0T and GLI 2.0T both come with DSG as the only automatic transmission option.

None of the available DSGs are compatible with the A4 because it uses a longitudinally-mounted engine.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:05 PM
CGP Ebony

Jetta = Chicks car

Gayest Thread Ever! DOM, please put these threads in the "Gay Threads" Section, Please?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Pro

You also keep mentioning better handling in the Jetta, despite reviews produced here to th contrary? Beyond your own impression, I am guessing your not a professional driver and only test drove the TSX, what gives you this impression?
I havent found it yet but another TSX owner in this forum saw a C&D article that when both cars in their stock configuation where tested they performed very simular numbers wise...although with a few changes to the TSX it would easily out handle the 2.0T/GLI.

Im not to much into modding unless maybe chiping the car, so thats why im interested in stock comparisons.....On the test drives i took both cars into off ramps and other various city driving conditions and yes maybe i am a little bias towards the VW because of the power range of the engine as it felt more fun in and out of traffic and accelerating out of turns etc....

With my line of work I have taken many professional driver classes and am on the road in a city of a million people almost daily, so I know what I like in a car.

The next car will be more for me rather than the both of us and it will for sure be a RWD or AWD car...(Audi A6..World Car of The Year) , although I would be very interested in a TL if Acura offers an engine with more low-midrange power and least AWD.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=cp3117]I havent found it yet but another TSX owner in this forum saw a C&D article that when both cars in their stock configuation where tested they performed very simular numbers wise...although with a few changes to the TSX it would easily out handle the 2.0T/GLI.

This monhs C&D hax a review of the GLI Jetta, which I beleive is suped up from yours, it has 18 inch wheels, and they claim"not in the same class as the TSX or S40 T5". I wonder why you can't find that article, lol.

Not taking anything away from your Jetta, but it is not compared to the TSX. Enjoy the great car.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by rb1
Let's see.

Max torque in TSX: 166 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM

Max torque in Jetta 2.0T: 207 lb-ft @ 1800-4700 RPM

Performance wise, I think it probably boils down the to driver when you are comparing the 6-speed manual cars, but there is no comparing the 2.0T DSG to the TSX automatic. In some configurations the DSG is actually faster than the manual and it would certainly blow the doors off the automatic -- probably almost 2 seconds faster to 60 mph than the TSX.

About 10% better fuel economy also depending on which car you get a 2.0T in.
When I made that statement, I didn't say (nor mean) TSX is the faster car than Jetta nor TSX is better on fuel... it just wins handsdown as the better car (IMO anyway, feel free to disagree)
Old 10-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro

[QUOTE=nwalbert]
I havent found it yet but another TSX owner in this forum saw a C&D article that when both cars in their stock configuation where tested they performed very simular numbers wise...although with a few changes to the TSX it would easily out handle the 2.0T/GLI.

This monhs C&D hax a review of the GLI Jetta, which I beleive is suped up from yours, it has 18 inch wheels, and they claim"not in the same class as the TSX or S40 T5". I wonder why you can't find that article, lol.

Not taking anything away from your Jetta, but it is not compared to the TSX. Enjoy the great car.

I believe this is the review that I have heard about, but PLEASE don't mislead people into thinking the car is not comparible by mis-quoting C&D as saying "not in the same class as the TSX or S40 T5". (this quote was overall not just for the suspention)
If im wrong I apologize in advance, but the actual quote was:

"The Jetta, and especially the GLI, moved up a class in the automotive caste system, allowing it to make direct eye contact with sports sedans such as the Acura TSX and Volvo S40. As much fun as the last GLI was, it wasn't big or sophisticated enough to compete at that level."

The first part of their statement clearly shows that they do compare and who would have thought a year ago the words Jetta, TSX and volvo would have been used in in the same automotive review.
The rest of their statement says its not big or sophisticated enough to compete at that level though. This I do agree with to a point when it comes to things like interior design and sophistication, but the rest of their numbers technically in the review only show the TSX with a slight edge in every category but the drivetrain, where the Jetta has the advantage. So to say they don't compete is puzzeling. Their is a difference though between comparing and competing when it comes to value.
This can been seen when someone compare's a TSX to a BMW....On paper the TSX is a better value but once driven there is no comparison (FWD vs RWD plus BMW engine options). This is why I assume most people buy a TSX then move up to the BMW.
This is somewhat how I came to my decision. On paper overall the TSX is a slightly better car, but at least when compared they are both FWD and only one engine available (unlike TSX vs BMW). When money comes into play, being the cars are close I believe the Jetta has more value.

I dont think VW at this time wants to improve the GLI much more anyway or else they will be cutting into their Audi sales...In this review they where already comparing it with the A3.

Hey in the long run we both love our cars and thats what matters......Alot of this this is getting repetative and is becoming just opinions, so its probably time to put this post to rest.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

I believe this is the review that I have heard about, but PLEASE don't mislead people into thinking the car is not comparible by mis-quoting C&D as saying "not in the same class as the TSX or S40 T5". (this quote was overall not just for the suspention)
If im wrong I apologize in advance, but the actual quote was:

"The Jetta, and especially the GLI, moved up a class in the automotive caste system, allowing it to make direct eye contact with sports sedans such as the Acura TSX and Volvo S40. As much fun as the last GLI was, it wasn't big or sophisticated enough to compete at that level."

The first part of their statement clearly shows that they do compare and who would have thought a year ago the words Jetta, TSX and volvo would have been used in in the same automotive review.
The rest of their statement says its not big or sophisticated enough to compete at that level though. This I do agree with to a point when it comes to things like interior design and sophistication, but the rest of their numbers technically in the review only show the TSX with a slight edge in every category but the drivetrain, where the Jetta has the advantage. So to say they don't compete is puzzeling. Their is a difference though between comparing and competing when it comes to value.
This can been seen when someone compare's a TSX to a BMW....On paper the TSX is a better value but once driven there is no comparison (FWD vs RWD plus BMW engine options). This is why I assume most people buy a TSX then move up to the BMW.
This is somewhat how I came to my decision. On paper overall the TSX is a slightly better car, but at least when compared they are both FWD and only one engine available (unlike TSX vs BMW). When money comes into play, being the cars are close I believe the Jetta has more value.

I dont think VW at this time wants to improve the GLI much more anyway or else they will be cutting into their Audi sales...In this review they where already comparing it with the A3.

Hey in the long run we both love our cars and thats what matters......Alot of this this is getting repetative and is becoming just opinions, so its probably time to put this post to rest.
Did you see where the article called it a Corllo

You started this thread sayinig the Jetta performaed much better, you have provided nothing to prove that. Now you say the TSx is better buts its more expensive. I don't care about value in this thread, I care that TSX is obviously a superior vehicle all-around. That's why it does cost more

And no I would never compare my TSX to a BMW in favorable light, unless it was a 323 which I barely consider a real BMW.

Thanks for finally admitting the TSX is better. Good idea about ending this thread.

Enjoy the unreliable Corollo
Old 10-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And no I would never compare my TSX to a BMW in favorable light, unless it was a 323 which I barely consider a real BMW.
FYI - Many of us DID compare the TSX to the E46 325 and most of us on this board still chose the TSX. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others wouldn't. While I've not been in a new 325, I'd wager there's still many things the TSX is at least as good at (other than the obvious: price).
Old 10-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Pro

Did you see where the article called it a Corllo
Yes reffering to its styling (rear end), but had nothing to do about the rest of the car.....

You started this thread sayinig the Jetta performaed much better, you have provided nothing to prove that. Now you say the TSx is better buts its more expensive. I don't care about value in this thread, I care that TSX is obviously a superior vehicle all-around. That's why it does cost more

Thanks for finally admitting the TSX is better. Good idea about ending this thread.

Enjoy the unreliable Corollo
My god I dont know how to make this any simpler for you to understand. I wish you would read this thread and especially my posts. At no time have I ever said the Jetta was overall a better or superior car....BETTER VALUE is what I have been saying and this is why I started this thread was to compare the two cars to see which is a better buy = value. So if you dont care...im not sure why your here??

If you compare tech stats The VW has better performance (drivetrain) and braking. The TSX has better wind noise, handling , suspention etc but the numbers are so close that the average person wouldnt notice...I have a link posted showing the awards for the 2.0T and many other people on this thread confirming the engine performance is better...Therefore on a stat sheet the TSX would slightly win in most categories (this is why i say its better) giving it an overall better car rating but several thousand more in price.

Even I misread the quote from C&D while at work lastnight.

I thought the last sentence was directed towards the new Jetta but its actually for the last year jetta model, which i agree doesnt hold water to the TSX. Athough I still stick with my point that the TSX interior design looks more sophiticated mainly do to how they incorporate the dash and console together unlike the jetta. This statement from C&D even proves my point further that the high end jetta does compare and compete with the TSX.

If all you care about is that the jetta is a joke, doesnt even compare to the TSX and that the TSX is by far an overall superior car to the jetta thats your opinion...Although most automotive reviews and tech sheets clearly show otherwise.

Im sorry if you paid more for your TSX that is equally compared by C&D by a (in your words) an unreliable corolla.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:48 AM
10th Gear

Don't even consider VW

Having owned 2 Jettas and now an owner of a certified 2004 TSX, don't even think about the Jetta. You will have endless problems starting day one. Yes, the German engineering is awesome and the turbo is sweet when you hit that right rpm but you will regret every dollar you pay that company the first time you break down or have to go to some cr_ppy dealer to have them fix some ridiculous quality problem or recall that they won't even admit is a problem. The worst part is once the warranty expires you will pay at least $500 for these types of things.

TSX is awesome, great car, slightly underpowered off the line but if you need to go from 75 to 95 quickly you are fine. Best part is that it has great reliability and you don't have to worry about anything.

This thread should not even be a thread. There is no comparison and if you buy a Jetta I guarantee that you will have issues. Guaranteed.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

That is what I have been trying to tell this guy. He couldn't afford the TSX so he is trying to claim the Jetta is better.

I would take a civic waaaay before a Jetta, let alone the TSX.

cp3117, why don't you move over to the VW Forums. Your going to need to get to know the guys there well so they can help you diagnose all the problems your car is going to have. The article did not mention the backed whatsoever in refernce to the corolla.

Its a good car, but not great, and it is generally accepted to be an ugly Corollo. Move on.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I find it funny that you guys are slamming his decision to purchase the Jetta. As with repairs and what not, I am sure cp3117 has considered all those other things that may (and the emphasis is on may) arise down the road.

As for that comment about how he counldn't afford a TSX...I think the last time that I checked that the model of Jetta that he wanted was about the same price point as a TSX.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

From what I heard from VW owners, The old 1.8T Jetta is more expensive than TSX unless you go strip. Also from what I heard from all VW owners and from VW engine sound, they all have the same note "stay away from VW". But different people have different taste, that's why some1 still buying dodge, mustang, MB, yogi, volvo...etc.

There are a lot of ex-bmw owners as well as current bmw owners on this board. We all love our TSX as good as if not more than our BMW. The only non-M E46 that will win my heart over TSX is 6sp 330i/ci zhp. And I never feel my fully loaded E46 328i sp M is ne better than my TSX.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:59 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

From what I heard from VW owners, The old 1.8T Jetta is more expensive than TSX unless you go strip.
Not even close. You could get a MKIV Jetta GLI -- a seriously equipped model with upgraded suspension, interior, Recaro seats, 6-speed tranny, 180 hp 1.8T engine -- for less than 23K.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb1
Not even close. You could get a MKIV Jetta GLI -- a seriously equipped model with upgraded suspension, interior, Recaro seats, 6-speed tranny, 180 hp 1.8T engine -- for less than 23K.
I do believe that one year VW did offer a fully optioned out Jetta for about 37 - 38K Canadian, which included the VR6 engine. That was quickly scrapped the next year as I do recall that this type of Jetta did not move very well. For comparison's sake, a TSX without Navi costs around 35K.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSXforme
I do believe that one year VW did offer a fully optioned out Jetta for about 37 - 38K Canadian, which included the VR6 engine.
That sounds like the Jetta GLX, which cost as much as a TSX w/Navi here in the states.

On the other hand, well-equipped 1.8T Jettas have been available for much less, with a Wolfburg edition model marketed in 2001 and 2003 with an MSRP of $21K U.S.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Forget VW.

My neighbours bought a new passat. First the moonroof stopped working. Then the coil went bad. Twice. Then they got pulled over by the cops for brake lights not working, but the kicker is, The brakes light were wired in reverse. When you step on the pedal they go out, when you come off the pedal they come on. lol!!

Ridiculous for any car especially a new car! VW is crap!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Drifting

ya, i read your thread on vwvortex. seems like you're going with the 2.0T.

i think both the tsx and 2.0T are very comparable.

i'm sure you'll have fun driving your vdub.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ragged
Forget VW.

My neighbours bought a new passat. First the moonroof stopped working. Then the coil went bad. Twice. Then they got pulled over by the cops for brake lights not working, but the kicker is, The brakes light were wired in reverse. When you step on the pedal they go out, when you come off the pedal they come on. lol!!

Ridiculous for any car especially a new car! VW is crap!

What the hell is with that brake light problem? I see at least 1 Jetta (previous gen) a day with a brake light out.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
ya, i read your thread on vwvortex. seems like you're going with the 2.0T.

Link?

I'd like to hear some TSX bashing.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dom
Link?

I'd like to hear some TSX bashing.
like any other car forum, you're gonna get some hardcore fanboy's...this particular thread is no different...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2220939
Old 10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

I just got the Jetta

Ok lets just be clear on this:

1. The Acura TSX is hands down better thant the VW Jetta. There are alot of differences, espcially when you consider the quality of the vehicle. Of course Honda has a better resale value. The Jetta is ok on the exterior, the interior is better than the previous model. The only thing the tsx doesn't have is that low end torque, which is slightly better on the Jetta performance wise.

2. The reason i got or Leased the Jetta is because of financial reasons. Plus i'm not tied down to the Jetta, since VW is now offering a 4 year B-B warrenty. So i'm basically covered for the four years i lease it. Acura is 3 year BB, but a more durable engine and a better quality engine than the Jetta. However, this year for the 2.0T they have put in the Audi A3 DSG transmission, which is nice.

3. There's more competition in Winnipeg for VW, since there are two dealers. Acura only has one dearlership here, which really sucks cuz the rape you and are not willing to deal with you.

But overall, the Jetta is not a bad car (06 that is), however when considering the bigger picture the Acura TSX you just can't go wrong with. Its got everying for 38K and I like the shape of it. I was just getting a better deal on the Jetta than the tsx. Acura was basically giving me nothing for my Audi A4. Since there is no competition for them against any other Acura dealer they don't care.

But in any case tsx is better than jetta, however jetta is not a bad choice either.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by fasash
Ok lets just be clear on this:

1. The Acura TSX is hands down better thant the VW Jetta. There are alot of differences, espcially when you consider the quality of the vehicle. Of course Honda has a better resale value. The Jetta is ok on the exterior, the interior is better than the previous model. The only thing the tsx doesn't have is that low end torque, which is slightly better on the Jetta performance wise.

2. The reason i got or Leased the Jetta is because of financial reasons. Plus i'm not tied down to the Jetta, since VW is now offering a 4 year B-B warrenty. So i'm basically covered for the four years i lease it. Acura is 3 year BB, but a more durable engine and a better quality engine than the Jetta. However, this year for the 2.0T they have put in the Audi A3 DSG transmission, which is nice.

3. There's more competition in Winnipeg for VW, since there are two dealers. Acura only has one dearlership here, which really sucks cuz the rape you and are not willing to deal with you.

But overall, the Jetta is not a bad car (06 that is), however when considering the bigger picture the Acura TSX you just can't go wrong with. Its got everying for 38K and I like the shape of it. I was just getting a better deal on the Jetta than the tsx. Acura was basically giving me nothing for my Audi A4. Since there is no competition for them against any other Acura dealer they don't care.

But in any case tsx is better than jetta, however jetta is not a bad choice either.
First off, let me say I respect your decision on the Jetta over the TSX for your particular situation. Good luck with it, have fun with the DSG

What year was your A4? Maybe better off trying to sell it privately then trying to trade-in with the Acura dealership... anyway, too late for that now obviously.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
10th Gear

VW means for "People Car" in germany. On the other hand, Acura = Lexus = Audi = BMW = MB
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 AM
Instructor

My 2 cents on VW. I had a 99 Passat like afax226... actually I sold it because i got a TSX. The Passat is a very solid car, great quality...but the repair/maintenence was so high a year (this year alone is $2500cdn) that I can finance a new car and so I did! Well, financing the TSX would cost more, but I rather do that. I didn't mind if the VW was fixable, but it wasn't...you can fix one part today and 2 weeks down the road, it goes out again. Even reps said some of their vehicles just can't be fixed properly. But the car itself I loved, I had rims, hids, and everything on it. Just had to let it go...and mind you I never beat my Passat, and it was well kept. Just the VW made that made me let it go....
Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Racer

i think the 2.0T jetta is a very good competitor to the tsx. VW is trying to go upmarket as it is what with the phaeton and all.

based on carsdirect a 2006 2.0 T configured with everything a tsx has (a dsg one navi anyway) costs about the same as an 05 tsx navi. i think on paper its really close, especially with the jetta having DSG and being quicker off the line etc since it has more torque. the tsx might handle better too, i'm not sure i've never driven a jetta, but from what i read you might have to get a GLI one to match the tsx handling.

i didn't really consider the jetta though. i used to think of the old one as a slightly feminine car, and i'd have to say the new one actually looks a lot better. but the main thing is that german cars and especially vws are not as reliable. i hate having my car in the shop, they can give me loaner cars, or whatever but it is just a pain in the ass and its just one less thing to bother with. im sure the jetta will be fine the first 2-3 years but who knows what random electrical problems it will have. and the 2006 jetta is a first year model so i'm expecting some.

anyways, on paper the jetta looks better except it is not quite as luxury as the acura and acura will probably give you better customer service, resale, things like that.

on the luxury name plate i'd say bmw, mercedes, lexus, audi are probably a higher on the scale than acura. i'd say acura is about the same as infiniti in prestige. maybe a little higher than infiniti at best (infiniti just turned itself around, most people cant even spell it, and dont know what it is... i know i owned one before). i'd say acura is though of much more in a luxury sense than vw though. thus the resale values and such.

its funny though especially for bmw. people think highly of them here, but something like an e90 320i is probably just a really nice normal car in europe. they are used in taxi's even especially the lower end ones that we dont get in america.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erwins
Acura = Lexus = Audi = BMW = MB
You can say that here, but on the Lexus forum they might disagree.

On the other forums they might disagree with Lexus, too.

Heck, I own an Audi, and I'm not sure I could get away with Audi = BMW = MB on the other two boards.

When I bought my TL, the Audi dealer was telling me, "it's not the same." I didn't believe him until after I'd actually owned one. But he was right. When I went back to buy my current A4 I was -- well, contrite.

Quick Reply: 2006 TSX vs 2006 JETTA 2.0T