2006 TSX vs 2006 JETTA 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:47 PM
iVTEC no koe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
Ha Ha! Jetta is a Chick's Car! Enjor your Fem Ride!

For some reason, The TSX seems more EURO than VW. Hmmmmm

If you're going to like a Euro car, at least like a BMW or something, dang, Jetta is such a female's car! Not to be sexualist or anything.

heh, the Jetta looks like it came off the same assembly line as the Corrolla.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cp3117
Well everyone I would like to thank you for all your input as this was a tough decision, but in the end i went with the new Jetta. A lot of it was personal preference but when i looked at everything on paper, the jetta was just better value for the buck for both cars equipped the same with the jetta having better performance....
I do enjoy the forum though and will be checking in as im hoping eventually the TL will get AWD, as that will be a great car if it does.
Personal preference goes a long way - as long as you're happy with your purchase... and remain happy. I never considered the mainstream/family sedan category myself, even though the TSX is our only car. Does the Jetta really outperform the TSX, or are you just talking about stop light racing?

Good luck with your new car. If the repair stats are accurate, you'll definitely need it! Heh. :-P

PS - Admittedly, newer civics remind me of the TSX. However, I was at a light today and saw the tail of the car in front of me at a glance and thought it was a Kia or Toyota. A minute went by and I looked close and discovered to my surprise that it was a champagne colored Jetta 2.0t. YMMV.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Advanced

If I had a choice btw Jetta and TSX, I would definitely go for TSX again.

Jetta's new design is so gay. Can't stand the chromic nose design.

It is just not a man's car. I am not saying TSX is a man's car but the Jetta design

makes you imagine a guy in pink dress shirt driving it. AND I CANT STAND GUYS IN

PINK DRESS SHIRTS sorry. had to say it.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Get the Jetta if you like switching up cars after three years. I would hold on to it after the warrantee is up. I'm an ex-Dubber.

In fact, buy my '05 TSX so I can go and get either a WRX STi or EVO.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by glott
the new jetta is cool if you like looking like you have a toyota corolla
I guess the toyota corolla would be cool for that too.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by vitocorleone
Personal preference goes a long way - as long as you're happy with your purchase... and remain happy. I never considered the mainstream/family sedan category myself, even though the TSX is our only car. Does the Jetta really outperform the TSX, or are you just talking about stop light racing?

Good luck with your new car. If the repair stats are accurate, you'll definitely need it! Heh. :-P

PS - Admittedly, newer civics remind me of the TSX. However, I was at a light today and saw the tail of the car in front of me at a glance and thought it was a Kia or Toyota. A minute went by and I looked close and discovered to my surprise that it was a champagne colored Jetta 2.0t. YMMV.
Handling wise they are very close, but once you step on it there is no comparison. The 2.0T has a lot more torque compared to the TSX and little turbo lag, I think thats why it feels more fun to drive. Drivetrain wise it's rated one of the best in the world in its category, so im not to worried about that....The rest of the car reliabilty wise we will have to wait and see. It feels a lot more solid than last years model and initial reviews from consumers etc have been really good compared to the last model in its first year, so we will see if VW has turned it around.
I know some people say it looks like a corrolla, but the only area of the car that looks slightly close is the taillights. The new 4dr civics taillights are simular to the new Audi, so by using these peoples theory they must be the same car.

Two days before I bought the Jetta I saw a car facing me at night and we thought what a aggressive good looking car (could see the outline of the front end and xenons) didnt know what it was till it passed and realized it was a 2.0T. That kinda finalized it as it's a very unique car from the front and the body lines.
The TSX has a very sporty rear end, but from the front or side its a very generic asian car and from the front you can tell its a honda but never what model as the acura and honda lines all blend in as the same with their grill etc.

The TSX is an incredible car, Hell it's #2 out of all my choices, but when it came to value the new jetta was just a little better.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Handling wise they are very close, but once you step on it there is no comparison. The 2.0T has a lot more torque compared to the TSX and little turbo lag, I think thats why it feels more fun to drive. Drivetrain wise it's rated one of the best in the world in its category, so im not to worried about that....The rest of the car reliabilty wise we will have to wait and see. It feels a lot more solid than last years model and initial reviews from consumers etc have been really good compared to the last model in its first year, so we will see if VW has turned it around.
I know some people say it looks like a corrolla, but the only area of the car that looks slightly close is the taillights. The new 4dr civics taillights are simular to the new Audi, so by using these peoples theory they must be the same car.

Two days before I bought the Jetta I saw a car facing me at night and we thought what a aggressive good looking car (could see the outline of the front end and xenons) didnt know what it was till it passed and realized it was a 2.0T. That kinda finalized it as it's a very unique car from the front and the body lines.
The TSX has a very sporty rear end, but from the front or side its a very generic asian car and from the front you can tell its a honda but never what model as the acura and honda lines all blend in as the same with their grill etc.

The TSX is an incredible car, Hell it's #2 out of all my choices, but when it came to value the new jetta was just a little better.
I'm glad you like your purchase. That's the one thing that I miss with my old VW...which was the fun to drive factor. Happy driving for you!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSXforme
I'm glad you like your purchase. That's the one thing that I miss with my old VW...which was the fun to drive factor. Happy driving for you!
I came from an Audi A4 with the 1.8T engine, and I test drove the new one with the 2.0T engine before I decided on the TSX. Had the money been equal I would have gone with the A4 but for only one reason. I live in Eastern Canada and I was worried about giving up my AWD.

The Jetta in my opinion is not in the same ballpark as the TSX despite what it looks like on paper. The Jetta is your average car that you see on every corner and I think it drives and feels that way. The TSX really stands out, and has a sporty feel and feels like a special car. Even more so than when my A4 was brand new.

Everyone has their own taste, but I am guessing you chose the Jetta to save money, I just hope that the car does not breakdown and end up costing you more. My Audi was very unrelable and basically led to me going with a Japanese car, and the fact that I fell in love with the TSX.

Good Luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Another thing you mentioed is that the Jetta outperforms the TSX , which seems ridiculous to me, and I have to ask what has given you this idea? Torque is one part of an equation that determines power. Try pushing your Jetta to 7500 RPM, I don't think it will be very happy

And guys I don't think its fair to compare the Jetta to a Corolla, Toyota's are much more reliable than VW's. Agreed though that the new Jetta look is really bad. Not sure what they were thinking.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nwalbert
Another thing you mentioed is that the Jetta outperforms the TSX , which seems ridiculous to me, and I have to ask what has given you this idea? Torque is one part of an equation that determines power. Try pushing your Jetta to 7500 RPM, I don't think it will be very happy
Is Jetta able to rev up to 6000rpm???? wasn't it already broken down when it up to 5000rpm????

And guys I don't think its fair to compare the Jetta to a Corolla, Toyota's are much more reliable than VW's. Agreed though that the new Jetta look is really bad. Not sure what they were thinking.
I will buy an Echo over ne VW even they are same price.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:46 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
This is kind of dumb question to ask in TSX fourm!!! I'm sure if you go to VW fourm. They are going to say their car is better. samething here!!~ This is your car not mine or any other people here so. Go with whatever you feel like. long as you like your car. That's all matters.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 AM
Pro

No car is very happy at 7500 Rpm and your just looking for trouble if you take it there daily, but saying that VW/Audi have never had problems taking an engine to that level...I don't know what to say but just drive one. On paper it shows that its a better performer and once you drive one you will see. It has aprox 40 more torque (and less revs to get it) and 5 less Hp (once again at less revs)...The torque will get you off the line quicker and the HP obviously will help on the higher end.
Honda has a great racing history and has been known for higher end power although with these 2 cars they are fairly equal (HP wise)..the german cars have a history for being great at both and have always been known for excellent drivetrains.
this site is one of many that shows this and the 2.0T won the best in its category overtaking the honda which had the title for the past 5 years.
http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...egories04.html
and overall the german engines took the majority of awards.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Intermediate

No car is very happy at 7500 Rpm and your just looking for trouble if you take it there daily, but saying that VW/Audi have never had problems taking an engine to that level...I don't know what to say but just drive one. On paper it shows that its a better performer and once you drive one you will see. It has aprox 40 more torque (and less revs to get it) and 5 less Hp (once again at less revs)...The torque will get you off the line quicker and the HP obviously will help on the higher end.
Honda has a great racing history and has been known for higher end power although with these 2 cars they are fairly equal (HP wise)..the german cars have a history for being great at both and have always been known for excellent drivetrains.
this site is one of many that shows this and the 2.0T won the best in its category overtaking the honda which had the title for the past 5 years.
http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...egories04.html
and overall the german engines took the majority of awards.
It seems you may not really understand the relationship between HP, torque, and RPM. I will leave that point alone.

Please look at my post, I have driven the 2.0T engine, only it was in an AWD A4 which is superior to the Jetta and I still did not feel the hadnling was better than the TSX.

I also find it strange you mention that German engines are generally better. Probably the most successful engine of all time is Nissan's 3.5L V6 that they use in half a dozen vehicles. Other than the 1.8T and 2.0T I can not think of a famous German engine.

As someone else mentioned, we are biased towards TSX, thats why we bought them, but I think you are being unrealistic as well, the Jetta does not compare to the TSX, the A4, the Legacy GT, and the S40 T5 do. The TSX is Car and Drivers 10 Best two years runnung. What was the last award that the Jetta won? There is a reason there is such a large margin in price between the vehicle.

Ber very happy with you purchase, sounds like it was just right for you. I am 24 now, already went though my VW (Audi) stage and now appreciate the TSX much more. But don't think that you got more than you did.

I would compare it to my Dad's brand new 2006 Hyundai Sonata. On paper, looks great, lots of HP (235), all the amenities, etc. but guess what its still a Hyundai and still does not offer a true luxury feel. There is a reason its still cheaper than the Camry, Accord, Altima, etc..

Enjoy the Jetta! At least the old ones were good looking.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Pro

cp3117,
Congrats on your purchase. Personally, I like the new Jetta as an overall package. I like the front grill and styling of the front end. I haven't sat in one, but from the pics it looks very appealing. Every car has its +/- and certainly, both the TSX and the Jetta have their own as well. I don't agree with your interpretation of the TSX's exterior look. I personally like the TSX's styling and find it very European. But, that's just my opinion.
Enjoy your new ride!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
cp3117,
Any chip updates for the 2.0T out yet? Thats whats always intrigued me with VW's. The 1.8 had the potential for 240 WHP but with better feul economy Hope the same upgrade will be available for the 2.0T.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
cp3117,
Any chip updates for the 2.0T out yet? Thats whats always intrigued me with VW's. The 1.8 had the potential for 240 WHP but with better feul economy Hope the same upgrade will be available for the 2.0T.
From what I've heard, a chip update is available. APR (Audi Performance Racing) has a chip out that can bump up the hp by 50 and the torque to almost 300 lbs/ft.

I'm not saying one car is better than the other as I consider myself to be a car enthusiast first. Let's see any Honda get that much gains off of one reflash.

And I'm as much of a Honda fan as anyone is on this board!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the 2.0T come with a better suspension than the 2.5? I ask, because the handling of the 2.5 is not as good as the TSX according to reviews. I haven't seen any reviews of the 2.0T. I have no doubt that it is faster, though I personally find the TSX to be more than fast enough, and VERY fun to drive. Again, the TSX's strong point is being good, but not the best, at everything, which is why I bought it; while other cars are getting closer, there's still not a car out that offers the same level of cohesive "togetherness" in an award winning, entry-level sport sedan package at such a good price.

I personally find the new VWs and Audis to be rather unattractive (esp the fronts) and uninspired, whereas the TSX looks attractive and refined, but to each their own.

If VW has improved their quality, then the Jetta sounds like a nice car. For you.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 AM
TSX User

Originally Posted by dom
cp3117,

Hope the stock tranny can handle that much power, let alone the entire car.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
Hope the stock tranny can handle that much power, let alone the entire car.
I've always wondered that myself.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm the Firestarter

I live in Eastern Canada and I was worried about giving up my AWD.
Why, do you live on a farm or a small village? Do you have trouble controlling the gas pedal when coming out of turns?

It always seems suspicious to me when city people claim they "need" AWD. The last time I got stuck in the snow and AWD could have possibly saved me was about 12 years ago when I was fooling around in the winter and took a corner way too fast in a K-car with old all-season tires and got stuck in a snow bank. FWD + winter tires is plenty enough for 95% of the population.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Let's see any Honda get that much gains off of one reflash.

Apples to oranges.

One is Turbocharged the other isn't. I don't know of any Naturally aspirated engine that can get the gains of the 1.8 or 2.0.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Why, do you live on a farm or a small village? Do you have trouble controlling the gas pedal when coming out of turns?

It always seems suspicious to me when city people claim they "need" AWD. The last time I got stuck in the snow and AWD could have possibly saved me was about 12 years ago when I was fooling around in the winter and took a corner way too fast in a K-car with old all-season tires and got stuck in a snow bank. FWD + winter tires is plenty enough for 95% of the population.
Why, do you live on a farm or a small village?

Yes! I live in the village of New Maryland, population approximately 3500. I think anyone would prefer AWD over FWD if the money was even. I agree, snow tires on the TSx should be fine, but not as good as AWD with snow tires

My driveway is fairly steep and I do anticipate having occasional problems getting up it that I might not face with AWD.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

From what I've heard, a chip update is available. APR (Audi Performance Racing) has a chip out that can bump up the hp by 50 and the torque to almost 300 lbs/ft.

I'm not saying one car is better than the other as I consider myself to be a car enthusiast first. Let's see any Honda get that much gains off of one reflash.

Those are turbo engine, you can easily get more hoursepower by boosting up the pressure but is it drive good and will it over stress the engine than usually VW owner won't care since no matter how you baby the car, it still won't last! Same thing that you can very easily to boost up hp on WRX, STi...etc. After ownering the turbo Volvo, I will never never want any Turbo or supercharger on my car. Stright line accerate is not everything.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
Apples to oranges.

One is Turbocharged the other isn't. I don't know of any Naturally aspirated engine that can get the gains of the 1.8 or 2.0.
I know that...that was just mentioned to inform CP3117 the best bang for the buck mod.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I know that...that was just mentioned to inform CP3117 the best bang for the buck mod.

I'd consider a new A4 for that chip upgrade alone.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by crisco
cp3117,
Congrats on your purchase. Personally, I like the new Jetta as an overall package. I like the front grill and styling of the front end. I haven't sat in one, but from the pics it looks very appealing. Every car has its +/- and certainly, both the TSX and the Jetta have their own as well. I don't agree with your interpretation of the TSX's exterior look. I personally like the TSX's styling and find it very European. But, that's just my opinion.
Enjoy your new ride!
Thanks crisco...I agree looks are a persons personal opinion and saying that, the TL and TSX I feel are really the only asian car that has come close to euro styling,(thats one reason why i originally looked at it) but then again thats the market their aiming for and in the end thats what it came down to was personal opinion.....the TSX interior I still like a lot and has a nice design (wish I could transplant that into the jetta).
Old 10-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Pro

I also find it strange you mention that German engines are generally better. Probably the most successful engine of all time is Nissan's 3.5L V6 that they use in half a dozen vehicles.
Like I said, generally they are better and have been known for that and most reviews confirm it....But I couldn't agree with you more about Nissan's 3.5L, thats one of the reasons why my dad bought his FX35. (hell of a nice SUV)

As someone else mentioned, we are biased towards TSX, thats why we bought them, but I think you are being unrealistic as well, the Jetta does not compare to the TSX, the A4, the Legacy GT, and the S40 T5 do. The TSX is Car and Drivers 10 Best two years runnung. What was the last award that the Jetta won? There is a reason there is such a large margin in price between the vehicle.

Ber very happy with you purchase, sounds like it was just right for you. I am 24 now, already went though my VW (Audi) stage and now appreciate the TSX much more. But don't think that you got more than you did.

I agree people here are going to be bias towards their car, as they should be, like any other forum. Im in no way saying the TSX is a bad car, its an excellent car. I was originally here just looking for advice on the TSX to help with my decision.

To say it's not comparible is just being blind....Most automotive reviews are putting the fully equipped Jetta 2.0/GLI and the passat 3.6l in the category of the TSX and TL. People often think less of these lines because VW offers such a wide range to the public rather than just auto and navi as options...This is a marketing decision of course by acura which appears to be a good and succesful one.
The 3 cars you compared are close except the subaru is std awd with a better drivetrain and the Audi is close as long as its not the quattro. The volvo matches up well.
The Jetta 2.0T/GLI and TSX have comparible drivetrains, handling, ride, quality of materials ie, leather, size etc etc....

I noticed in these forums most BMW,AUDI, MERCEDES etc people get upset when the TSX and TL are compared to their cars (and they should be). Side by side in the sport luxury market the acura is a better buy over the euro vehicles being some are $10,000 different in price, but once you start and drive them the comparison ends and so does the value. You cant compare FWD vs RWD or AWD and the engines have better performance unless you compare to the lower end euro engines..(once again thats a choice for the consumer rather than one engine choice for acura)...ride, handling is all different between the two.

When I went into the acura dealer originally looking at the TL, the GM that I was reffered to was comparing the car to the new BMW 550 based on size. Well no doubt its gona look like a better value but once driven you can see why its $25000 more.....by using his theory i can compare my new Jetta to a audi RS4 for value....

Sorry for ranting guys ..I just like comparing apples to apples. I hate it when people say they are getting better value but the comparisons are way off.

I would compare it to my Dad's brand new 2006 Hyundai Sonata. On paper, looks great, lots of HP (235), all the amenities, etc. but guess what its still a Hyundai and still does not offer a true luxury feel. There is a reason its still cheaper than the Camry, Accord, Altima, etc..
Again people knock Hyundai and Kia etc because of there early cars/name etc. These two companies though have been watched by many automotive review agencies as the ones to look out for as they are slowly catching the compitition. They will never compare to Acura, lexus, BMW, AUDI etc...but then again no one thought Honda or toyota would untill they made it more luxurious, put their better performing engines in and threw on the ACURA and LEXUS nameplates..(its all in the marketing).
Old 10-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
good points...
Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Drifting

The Fun One
By Dan Kahn
Date posted: 09-08-2005

Fun. It's what's been missing from the recently redesigned Volkswagen Jetta. VW gave the car new lines, a bigger cabin and more power across the board, but somewhere along the way, the Jetta got a bit too serious. So far there have been just two models, the entry-level 2.5 and the frugal TDI.

For 2006, Volkswagen has added two more: the luxurious 2.0T and the sporty GLI. The two models cost essentially the same, and use the same turbocharged engine, but they're as different as wine and whiskey.

With its standard heated seats and optional wood trim, the 2.0T is for the someday-CEO, the Trump wannabe that just made it out of the mailroom.

In the Jetta's sensible-yet-sporty world, the GLI, with its blacked-out honeycomb grille, sport seats and a sport-tuned suspension, is for the up-and-coming rock star. It's the fun one.

Juiced-Up Jetta
Both models are front-wheel drive and use the same 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder that's also used in the Passat as well as Audi's A3 and A4. The engine produces 200 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 207 pound-feet of torque from 1,800 to 4,700 rpm, which is more than enough grunt to make the chubby 3,300-pound 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI a relatively quick ride.

Buyers can choose between two transmissions, a six-speed manual or a six-speed direct-shift gearbox (DSG). We prefer the DSG, which permits fully automatic or true manual operation. In "Drive" it's a quality automatic. In manual mode, it switches gears in a heartbeat and perfectly matches revs on every downshift. Plus, there's no clutch pedal to mess with, just a couple of well-placed steering wheel paddles.

Fuel economy is good, too, 24 city/32 highway with the manual and 25 city/31 highway with the DSG, but the 2.0-liter drinks premium.

Additional features include standard stability control, traction control and 17-inch alloy wheels. A standard sport suspension is the GLI's only real mechanical difference over the 2.0T, and the cars we drove wore optional 18-inch five-spokes with summer performance tires, also exclusive to the GLI. The resulting ride is stiff and sporty but by no means uncomfortable, much like the ride in our Audi A4 long-term car.

Looking the Part
In typical German fashion, big honking wings, spoilers and faux carbon fiber are all conspicuously absent. Instead, VW's wild child Jetta has subtle touches to denote its high-performance pedigree.

Outside, the GLI gets the black honeycomb grille accented with a red pinstripe, black lower body trim, blue tinted windows, dual stainless exhaust tips, bright red brake calipers, auto-leveling high-intensity xenon headlights, and GLI badges front and rear that replace the Jetta name completely. Two new colors are exclusive to the GLI, Salsa Red and Deep Black Metallic.

Things are just as sporty yet subtle in the cabin. All the wood and metallic trim from the standard model have been replaced with genuine aluminum. The front seats are eight-way adjustable sport buckets that are exclusive to the GLI. They offer exceptional support and comfort, even on long drives. The pedals are covered in aluminum trim with rubber grip strips for quick footwork, and the tilting and telescoping F1-style flat-bottom steering wheel is thickly padded.

Safety concerns are addressed with standard dual front, front-side, front-side curtain and rear-side curtain airbags. Rear-passenger thorax airbags, which come out of the door, are optional.

Behind the Wheel
This is not a horsepower-addled rally car like the Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evolution. It's fast, just not crazy-fast. VW claims the car will sprint to 60 mph in 7 seconds when equipped with the DSG transmission. That's the same time recorded by the last A3 we tested, which used the same drivetrain, and it's nearly two and a half seconds quicker than the last Jetta 2.5 we took to the track.

Instead of stoplight-to-stoplight racing, the GLI is built for high-speed cruising and occasional canyon carving. The DSG-equipped GLI we drove positively shone on the open road. The turbo four offers plenty of bottom-end torque to get things rolling, but it really shines from 4,000-6,000 rpm, where the motor sings and the turbo whines. Tip the accelerator in the engine's sweet spot and the car leaps forward.

At triple-digit speeds on an empty stretch of New Mexico highway, the GLI's interior remained quiet and its engine purred along like a happy kitten. High-speed stability was excellent.

When the road does turn, the electromechanical steering is tight and sporty, offering excellent feedback and feel. And the suspension, which has thicker antiroll bars, gives the car a hunkered-down planted feeling in the corners. Push too hard and radical understeer rears its ugly head, but the car is easy to drive quickly and much more fun than we thought it would be.

Conclusion
At $23,790, the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI's base price is only a grand less than the starting price of the Audi A3, which shares the Jetta's platform. Order the option Package 1 for $1,460, which adds a sunroof and satellite radio, and the GLI's value remains high.

But cough up $3,200 for the option Package 2, which includes the sunroof, the satellite radio, dual-zone climate control and heated leather seats, and $1,800 for the DVD navigation system, and suddenly the affordable GLI costs about the same as an equally equipped Acura TSX.

Additional options on the GLI include the DSG transmission ($875), the 18-inch wheels ($750) and the rear thorax airbags ($350). Order it all and a loaded-to-the-gills GLI comes in over $31 thou.

As much as we like to think of ourselves as rock stars, and as much as we like driving the GLI, that sounds like a lot for the Jetta.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107126

looks like a nice car to me...
Old 10-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
Nice find!! This is typical of reviews that i have seen for the 2.0T and the GLI. Its even mentioned along with other excellent cars such as the TSX, but the last line of the review cracks me up.

"as much as we like to think of ourselves as rockstars,and as much as we like driving the GLI,that sounds like a lot for a jetta"

Even people doing reviews can't break out of the stereotype of the VW name,although it exceeded their expectations.....
Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Why, do you live on a farm or a small village?

Yes! I live in the village of New Maryland, population approximately 3500. I think anyone would prefer AWD over FWD if the money was even. I agree, snow tires on the TSx should be fine, but not as good as AWD with snow tires

My driveway is fairly steep and I do anticipate having occasional problems getting up it that I might not face with AWD.
Wow, you're actually part of the 5% that could use AWD.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Nice find!! This is typical of reviews that i have seen for the 2.0T and the GLI. Its even mentioned along with other excellent cars such as the TSX, but the last line of the review cracks me up.

"as much as we like to think of ourselves as rockstars,and as much as we like driving the GLI,that sounds like a lot for a jetta"

Even people doing reviews can't break out of the stereotype of the VW name,although it exceeded their expectations.....
ya, but that's just a brand like any others.

if you like it, get it.

i don't have any experiences driving and owning a vw, but as a passenger, they are solid rides (doesn't mean shiit though)...
Old 10-14-2005, 10:09 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
no comparison... TSX wins handsdown.
Let's see.

Max torque in TSX: 166 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM

Max torque in Jetta 2.0T: 207 lb-ft @ 1800-4700 RPM

Performance wise, I think it probably boils down the to driver when you are comparing the 6-speed manual cars, but there is no comparing the 2.0T DSG to the TSX automatic. In some configurations the DSG is actually faster than the manual and it would certainly blow the doors off the automatic -- probably almost 2 seconds faster to 60 mph than the TSX.

About 10% better fuel economy also depending on which car you get a 2.0T in.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:20 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ianS
After ownering the turbo Volvo, I will never never want any Turbo or supercharger on my car. Stright line accerate is not everything.
This is another misconception. I have a 150 hp 1.8T, and the turbo (low-pressure as far as they go, just 8 psi) isn't just for acceleration, it's mainly for boosting low-end torque to provide a broad and flat torque curve down into the low RPM range (155 lb-ft @1750-4200 RPM in my car) and that helps immensely with driveability. Normally aspirated cars -- especially 4 cylinder ones -- can be positively anemic torque wise at the low-end of the RPM range.

The TSX continues near the top of my list of next cars, but having owned a turbo car for 4+ years, I wonder if I can go back to an NA motor.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

rb1, you've been talking about buying a new car for at least 2 years now.

Go buy one already will you

And I know it will be a VW or Audi of some sort.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rb1
Let's see.

Max torque in TSX: 166 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM

Max torque in Jetta 2.0T: 207 lb-ft @ 1800-4700 RPM

Performance wise, I think it probably boils down the to driver when you are comparing the 6-speed manual cars, but there is no comparing the 2.0T DSG to the TSX automatic. In some configurations the DSG is actually faster than the manual and it would certainly blow the doors off the automatic -- probably almost 2 seconds faster to 60 mph than the TSX.

About 10% better fuel economy also depending on which car you get a 2.0T in.
Thats the point that I was trying to impress upon cp3117, that torque is one part of an equation and is only a benefit if you drive in a certain manner, and I don't expect many TSX drivers to drive that way, or else they wouldn't have a TSX

If you like even power throughout your rpm range, than the Jetta is a better feel for you.

To me, the reason I don't put the Jetta in the same class as the TSX is cause I feel lucky ot have my TSX. I work in a city of roughly 75,000 and when I go to work I see about 20-30 Jetta's everyday. I see 0-1 TSX's. I like that! People turn their head to watch my car, no one watches a Jetta go by.

Will the DSG EVER be in the Jetta? The A4 won't even see it for another year.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom
rb1, you've been talking about buying a new car for at least 2 years now.

Go buy one already will you

And I know it will be a VW or Audi of some sort.
How many Car and Drive 10 Best has the Jetta won in the last 5 years? Or awards of any kind?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

How many Car and Drive 10 Best has the Jetta won in the last 5 years? Or awards of any kind?

None, but I'm not sure what your point is?

So what if VW hasn't been on the 10 Best list or won any awards. By that logic everyone would be driving the same handful of award winning cars.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb1
This is another misconception. I have a 150 hp 1.8T, and the turbo (low-pressure as far as they go, just 8 psi) isn't just for acceleration, it's mainly for boosting low-end torque to provide a broad and flat torque curve down into the low RPM range (155 lb-ft @1750-4200 RPM in my car) and that helps immensely with driveability. Normally aspirated cars -- especially 4 cylinder ones -- can be positively anemic torque wise at the low-end of the RPM range.

The TSX continues near the top of my list of next cars, but having owned a turbo car for 4+ years, I wonder if I can go back to an NA motor.
I am not having the low pressure turbo. I used to have the S70 T5, the 237hp high presure turbo piece of junk.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dom

So what if VW hasn't been on the 10 Best list or won any awards. By that logic everyone would be driving the same handful of award winning cars.

The point is that you are comparing the TSX Which has been on the list two years running to the Jetta which has not been on the list at least in the last 5 years. It has nothing to do with people driving them, and EVERYTHING to do with the comparison between them which is what this discussion is about.

You also keep mentioning better handling in the Jetta, despite reviews produced here to th contrary? Beyond your own impression, I am guessing your not a professional driver and only test drove the TSX, what gives you this impression?

Quick Reply: 2006 TSX vs 2006 JETTA 2.0T