2006 Civic vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
2006 Civic vs TSX

I test-drove the new Civic today (4-door DX-G auto), and I wanted to give some impressions and info. When I started reading some of the specs it seemed like it was a pretty amazing deal for the price and seemed to go into TSX territory.

After getting a good look at one and driving it, I have to say I'm very impressed. It's the best civic ever, and looks-wise I love it, especially the rear. Unlike the old Civic it looks sporty and attractive from every angle. I'm not sure I can say that about the coupe, it also looks good but without the spoiler it has this droopy butt that just seems a bit too long. But it still looks good overall, I just think the sedan looks better.

Just like in the pictures it has this futuristic look with a short hood and trunk and very flat windshield.

The interior doesn't look as sci-fi as in the pictures, the two-part dash works and I didn't really mind the digital speedo. The front of the windsheild is REALLY far in front of you, when you're driving it seems almost like the front of the car starts at the windshield.

The handling was what most struck me about the car. It gave me the same impression as when I first drove the TSX, it really made me go "wow, this car has great handling!" More so than the TSX though, the handling suffers from crappy tires, when I was taking a curve I could hear them squealing and loosing traction and it felt like the chassis was far more capable than that. Any small variation of the steering wheel made the car change direction, it really felt great.

Speaking of steering, the steering wheel is probably the best part of the car. It's realy small and thick, kind of like on the good old civic of the mid 90's but better. The plastic was also very nice, some kind of foam-like subtance, it was almost as good as leather. The dash and other materials in the interior also use higher quality plastics than in the previous civic, and you can really tell the fit and finish of this car is great.

Some comparison points with the TSX:

Features-wise, if you get the fully-loaded EX, you can probably get nearly everything that's in the TSX, and some things that aren't, notably:
- One-touch sunroof. It's up near the sunroof too.
- Speed-sensitive volume control.
- FOB integrated into the key.
It's a real shame the TSX doesn't have these features

What really sets the car apart from the TSX is what you don't see on the options list. While the interior is very well done for a Civic, obviously the TSX has more variations in materials, more decorations, and better quality plastics. The nice covers with spring-loaded doors on each compartment, the chrome accents, etc. And of course leather.

Space-wise, the back seat of the civic actually seemed larger, the rear seats in my TSX seemed shorter than the Civic's. The trunk space and front seemed about the same, minus the very deep dash.

The egine and tranny is where you notice a big difference of course. Needless to say the TSX has way more power, and the auto on the Civic, although 5-speed, is nowhere near the one on the TSX. Compared to the civic the shifts on the TSX are almost completely seamless (and SS of course).

The funky instrument display layout may look futuristic, but it doesn't have the same quality and coolness factor as the TSX. When people sit in my car they always notice the electro-luminescent display, but I don't expect as many people to notice the Civic's. It's one of those things you can't tell from the pictures.

So, if they had a hatchback I could say with near-certainty that this will be my second car if I need one. It's great, it looks great, and I can't wait to see the CSX, maybe it won't bring shame to the Acura name after all.

It really makes me wish I had some of the features on the TSX, although it's not a car in the same class, as I should clearly have known. If I need a second sedan some day this will be at the top of the list, and I'm definitely going back to check out the hybrid and the CSX.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good write-up
Old 10-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

The key part can be modified.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Racer

I think the new civic looks sweet. I like both the sedan and coupe.

I think this is the best Civic yet.

And it get 40mpg too!!

Cant beat that.

Cant go wrong with buying an 2006 Civic.

My friend is actually buying one tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont think the TSX has higher quality plastics then the new civic. I sat in the new civic and as buttons go it has the new soft bottons.

Example...go in a coupe and push the up and down steering wheel button. Its like buttery soft. Very impressed.

The new Hondas that use this new plastic seem to be, Ridgeline, Odessey, new Civic.

TSX has a mix between the soft and hard buttons.

My accord 01 which uses the old parts bin same mirror adjustment button as a 91 nsx. Has hard plastics. Still nice tho.

Soon all hondas will uses these new soft buttons. Lovely.

I know this sounds stupid but button feel is important to the luxury aspect. hehe.

Basically what I'm saying is the civic has the new soft buttons.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Racer

in the end, its still a "Civic".

lets compare the new 2006 Saturn Ion with the TSX or the 2006 Kia Rio. These cars have got to have one or two features the TSX doesn't have.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm the Firestarter

PS. The new Civic also uses the same windshield as the NSX.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Instructor

You're comparing a 2006 Civic to a TSX? Come on, the comparison should be with the RSX. They are more in line with each other in price and engine output (Civic EX). Not sure about performance though. The TSX is in another league. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good comparison I think. For those that don't know much about the TSX, they would instantly compare it to the Civic and not the Accord. Although I have never heard of a civic with navigation. Your conclusion is what I would expect. What about cabin noise? Was it loud? Since you heard the tires squeel we can safely say that you did test the handling If they don't squeel, you aint given her all she's got cap'n! I test drove the 06 Accord w/nav last weekend and it closely resembled the TSeX.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
:ibmorepeoplegettheirpantiesinabunch:

Nice writeup belzebutt.

This may be my next car....
Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Pink as a pistol

The new Civic are nice, especially the Si. I feel the new Civics will regain its title as "The Boy Racer Car" once again.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:46 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by Hondan53
The new Civic are nice, especially the Si. I feel the new Civics will regain its title as "The Boy Racer Car" once again.
In Toronto, I really can't think of any other car that could be called "The Boy Racer Car"
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Pink as a pistol

Originally Posted by HoRRo
In Toronto, I really can't think of any other car that could be called "The Boy Racer Car"
Around here, I saw much less tricked out 2001 - 2005 model years Civics, instead, for the past few years, the kids around my area have been tricking out Ford Focuses, Suburu WRXes, Scions, Toyota Celicas or Acura RSXes.

I guess the Hona Civics kinda lost its appeal to the kids when they remodeled it in 2001, although this new generation of Honda Civics will probably gain the attention back from these kids.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by hcekc
You're comparing a 2006 Civic to a TSX? Come on, the comparison should be with the RSX. They are more in line with each other in price and engine output (Civic EX). Not sure about performance though. The TSX is in another league. Just my 2 cents.
I don't drive the RSX.

The last I sat in the RSX was a few months ago (a new one at my Acura dealer) and I would say the Civic interior is a little bit nicer. I never drove the RSX but I imagine it's better, and obviously faster than a regular Civic. The Civic Si on the other hand... the RSX better get some kick-ass equipment to be able to compete, otherwise it just becomes redundant.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by CJams
Good comparison I think. For those that don't know much about the TSX, they would instantly compare it to the Civic and not the Accord. Although I have never heard of a civic with navigation. Your conclusion is what I would expect. What about cabin noise? Was it loud? Since you heard the tires squeel we can safely say that you did test the handling If they don't squeel, you aint given her all she's got cap'n! I test drove the 06 Accord w/nav last weekend and it closely resembled the TSeX.
I would describe the Civic as "quiet". Probably not as quiet as the TSX, but I did notice that cabin noise was low. I could definitely see myself driving that car and I would have fun doing it.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I would describe the Civic as "quiet". Probably not as quiet as the TSX, but I did notice that cabin noise was low. I could definitely see myself driving that car and I would have fun doing it.
By chance, did you take it on the highway or drive over 100km/h?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm the Firestarter

By chance, did you take it on the highway or drive over 100km/h?
No, only city driving, I got it to about 100km/h on a parkway for a short time.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Professional SLACKER

Civic is a nice little car.... I test drove my friend's and it was awesome but it still have a different feeling when driving a civic. It has a simple interior like TSX but not as elegent as the TSX. Power wise, it hauls . I'm very impressed with the power it produce.

BUT price wise if you want to buy them now, I'd prefer TSX. Some dealers sales them above MSRP.... For instance, my friend bought the sedan civic with NAV, it cost him $24.5k OTD. That's almost the price of a TSX.

I'm just glad that I got the TSX, its imppresion will last me a while compare to the civic. Within a year there will be a new gen civic for every 20 cars I see. My
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
rsx-s? maybe?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Pro

nice writeup belzebutt.
I think I might test drive one for the fun of it.
although it would cost less in the long run, it would be hard to part with leather, heated power seats, 6discCD, xenons, and the extra power.
BTW, how is the stereo?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM
eve
Burning Brakes

How much?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Race Director

its' still just a civic.

the only civic i would pimp is the SI.

my first car was an accord and i still prefer the accord over the civic.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by eve
How much?
Starts at about CAN $18,500 for the base model up to about $23,000 for the EX. I'm told the hybrid should be about $27,000.

I didn't listen to the stereo much but in the EX it's supposed to be "improved" with more speakers and power than the typical small car. But I often hear how audiophiles deride even the TSX sound system which is already more than good enough for me, since I listen mainly to MP3s.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:34 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

DX MT Sedan starts at $16,800 CAD actually.

The old Hybrid was 28K CAD so I'd expect at least 28K + or more for this new one.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by dom
DX MT Sedan starts at $16,800 CAD actually.

The old Hybrid was 28K CAD so I'd expect at least 28K + or more for this new one.
You are correct sir.

EX sedan with auto = $23,000. When the sales guy told me about "$27k" he probably meant $27,999.99

But they don't have official hybrid pricing yet.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Saw my first Sedan on the road this morning. Very impressed, especially from the rear. Honda in Canada at least has a huge winner on their hands. Considering the Civic was the number 1 seller in Canada even with the old model their now sure to build a huge lead in that respect.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced

The new civic is great! the Si is great looking. Personally i like the coupe more than sedan. My only complaint is the HP, 160...come on with the sporty look should come the engine. I know its a civic but come on! Anyway the TSX is still much better!! But im happy to compare.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Civic Si Sedan Coming???

Will Honda announce a Civic Si Sedan in Chicago tomorrow??? TOV seems to think so. If so this is a serious consideration for me. It would have a 2.0 liter, LSD, and available navi. I don't really need leather seats that will only stain and crack over time. My GF has one of the new Civic Coupes and it is a nice affordable daily driver and gets mid 30s gas milage. Here is Houston it is nearly impossible to get the TSX/Nav for less than $29.5K, this would certainly be a much cheaper option. May not handle as well, no HIDs, but peppy, fun enough to drive and much more affordable. I hope it is the case.. we'll see tomorrow.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=494449
Old 02-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm a llama :(

PS. The new Civic also uses the same windshield as the NSX.
No it doesn't. They just said it's the most sharply raked windshield in Honda's history, sharper than even the NSX's. But even if it did, I don't see that as a selling point. For the longest time Honda's shared buttons with the NSX.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

Hybrid pricing is actually 3K lower than the previous gen at $25,800. Pleasant surprise.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Starts at about CAN $18,500 for the base model up to about $23,000 for the EX. I'm told the hybrid should be about $27,000.

I didn't listen to the stereo much but in the EX it's supposed to be "improved" with more speakers and power than the typical small car. But I often hear how audiophiles deride even the TSX sound system which is already more than good enough for me, since I listen mainly to MP3s.

23,000 for civic EX ? hell no i am paying that much for a civic

I paid 26,700 for my 05 TSX 6M carbon grey with navigation. It was a left over 05 i bought it 2 weeks ago brand new.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like in the pictures it has this futuristic look with a short hood and trunk and very flat windshield.

The interior doesn't look as sci-fi as in the pictures, the two-part dash works and I didn't really mind the digital speedo. The front of the windsheild is REALLY far in front of you, when you're driving it seems almost like the front of the car starts at the windshield.
thats because the front of the car does start at the windshield. i felt unsafe in it. i thought i liked it at first, but the exterior style is ugly to me (subjective) and i think the interior is just too small for me for the type of car i want.

i love the dash of the civic though. the display was really nice in my opinion. the civic will always remain a nice car to me, just not into the new style, front or back.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Will Honda announce a Civic Si Sedan in Chicago tomorrow??? TOV seems to think so. If so this is a serious consideration for me. It would have a 2.0 liter, LSD, and available navi. I don't really need leather seats that will only stain and crack over time. My GF has one of the new Civic Coupes and it is a nice affordable daily driver and gets mid 30s gas milage. Here is Houston it is nearly impossible to get the TSX/Nav for less than $29.5K, this would certainly be a much cheaper option. May not handle as well, no HIDs, but peppy, fun enough to drive and much more affordable. I hope it is the case.. we'll see tomorrow.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=494449
That would be today... In about 1 hour and 20 minutes...
I'm looking forward to seeing if this announcement is actually made. If Honda is indeed building an Si Sedan, I think people who are considering the TSX would take a peek if not actually consider getting an Si Sedan over the TSX. I myself would be curious to see what it has to offer.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
i traded in my TSX w/ navi for my 06 si coupe

and COULDNT be happier

a sedan si ( which is confiremd) same HP, navi etc etc

will defintely take a chunk out of tsx sales

sorry not everyone cars about leather and heated seats
Old 02-08-2006, 01:50 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by julyccc
23,000 for civic EX ? hell no i am paying that much for a civic

I paid 26,700 for my 05 TSX 6M carbon grey with navigation. It was a left over 05 i bought it 2 weeks ago brand new.
He said CAN. $23k Canadian. A Civic EX is about $18.5k here in the states.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Type X

and COULDNT be happier

don't u miss the rear seat room and the 2 extra doors?

civic si sedan? dang that will take away more accord sales away instead of TSX.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Type X

and COULDNT be happier

i would not give up my TSX for civic SI. come on it's a civic !
Old 02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
He said CAN. $23k Canadian. A Civic EX is about $18.5k here in the states.

my bad
Old 02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
04 remembrance

I'm extremely tempted to purchase the Hybrid Civic.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
They just announced the Civic Sedan SI today in Chicago Auto Show...byebye TSX (jk)

Quick Reply: 2006 Civic vs TSX