2005 TSX in TX

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 TSX in TX

I just put a downpayment on a '05 TSX Carbon Grey manual w. NAV. I got a price of 29k w. free window tint from the dealer ($298 value). How does that deal sound? I probably won't take hold of this veh. until January-February though. I got it from Sterling Acura in Austin, TX.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Race Director

Sounds ok to me,
Old 11-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

I ordered the exact same car and that is the preliminary price I was given, possibly negotiable when the car gets here in February depending on the market. I will also be able to add any options/accessories at dealer cost. Of course I'll need to find a way to validate thoses costs to make sure I'm not getting ripped. I'm really hoping to knock off another $500.00 from the price. Good choice BTW.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Sounds like it's just about MSRP.

If I'm buying a car today, I'd just go to different dealers to find the best match (color, navi, transmission) than wait 3 months for ordered one..
Old 11-27-2004, 03:23 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by campaachen
I just put a downpayment on a '05 TSX Carbon Grey manual w. NAV. I got a price of 29k w. free window tint from the dealer ($298 value). How does that deal sound? I probably won't take hold of this veh. until January-February though. I got it from Sterling Acura in Austin, TX.

Would you be willing to travel to get a better deal. I'll ask my dealer here in ELP for you if you want. He has helped me and all my friends out on really good deals, can't see why he'd pass you up for money in his pocket.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reference. El Paso is pretty far (really far for non-Texans) so I guess he would have to offer a pretty good deal.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:18 PM
cmf
ATCer

Can't hurt to ask, I'll see what he'll do. It's only about 8 hr driving.... each way
Old 11-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Another Austinite here.

Another source is Gunn Acura in San Antonio. I bought mine (Carbon Grey, 6MT w/Navi) through their no negociation pricing for $27,583 in 9/04. Doubtless there are others who love the back and forth of the haggleing game who found a better deal somewhere in the world.

I searched via the internet naming a price based on Consumer Reports dealer list price plus 5% at the time. Got laughed at by 2 dealers and ignored by 3 others. But Coby Allen at Gunn responded with the above price for the exact car I was asking for.

The whole time I was expecting some sort of game-- bait and switch, strong arm pressure for add ons, "special financing" etc. But Coby Allen just showed me the car described the features and trotted out the paperwork. The final price, plus taxes and title was the quoted price. I drove it off the lot in 2 hours.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Advanced

By the by I was able to window tint for $165 at Sunbusters out on Research blvd.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Advanced

I don't think there is too much of a price variation on TSXs in the Austin area. Its not like a Chevy Tahoe which can vary ~5000 dollars from place to place. Don't see too many TSXs on the road here. Maybe i'll roll deep to 6th street sometime
Old 11-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Hey RedPaul! Are you telling me the out-the-door price was $27,500, taxes included? You meant that was the price + ttl, right?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Advanced

That was the before taxes, title and liscence fees.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Did they have any to test drive in Austin? I'm in town for the week and would like to drive one. My plan is to purchase this month in Houston. They have a shipment coming in next week. I still haven't driven this car yet.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
10th Gear

McDavid Acura in Austin

Hi everyone... Did anyone here look at David McDavid Acura in Austin? I'm looking for a 2005 red/parch/AT/navi, and I've had all the area dealerships (austin, san antonio, dfw) try and do some dealer locates for me, but everyone has come back with the same answer - I'll have to order it. Until today... McDavid called me to say that they've found my car somewhere, and they could dealer-trade it, for me to have around Christmas. I'm going in to talk to the salesguy today - not planning on making any decision until tonight or tomorrow, but i'd like to see it for myself that they're not lying, since all the others came back with no dealer-locates available.

My second question is on the price people have been quoted around town. So far, Mac Churchill in Fort Worth was the best with $500 under MSRP: $29,060 + TTL = $31,100. Gunn quoted me $29,410+ TTL= $31,499.73. McDavid didn't quote me yet, and I'm still waiting for Sterling too. I'd really like to get it for $30,000 out-the-door, but $30500 would be ok too. Anyone getting near that in Texas?

cmf - what did you pay in El Paso - I'd be willing to make that drive if i could time it around New Years (Purdue is playing in the Sun Bowl, so that could be my "reasoning" for making that long haul).

Lastly - has anyone leased their TSX through someone other than Acura/Honda? I've had a friend recently go through D&M leasing in DFW, but I'm open to any other suggestions too.

Thanks for all the help - Hopefully I'll get to add to the "New Owners" post soon
Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by tdurham
Hi everyone... Did anyone here look at David McDavid Acura in Austin? I'm looking for a 2005 red/parch/AT/navi, and I've had all the area dealerships (austin, san antonio, dfw) try and do some dealer locates for me, but everyone has come back with the same answer - I'll have to order it. Until today... McDavid called me to say that they've found my car somewhere, and they could dealer-trade it, for me to have around Christmas. I'm going in to talk to the salesguy today - not planning on making any decision until tonight or tomorrow, but i'd like to see it for myself that they're not lying, since all the others came back with no dealer-locates available.

My second question is on the price people have been quoted around town. So far, Mac Churchill in Fort Worth was the best with $500 under MSRP: $29,060 + TTL = $31,100. Gunn quoted me $29,410+ TTL= $31,499.73. McDavid didn't quote me yet, and I'm still waiting for Sterling too. I'd really like to get it for $30,000 out-the-door, but $30500 would be ok too. Anyone getting near that in Texas?

cmf - what did you pay in El Paso - I'd be willing to make that drive if i could time it around New Years (Purdue is playing in the Sun Bowl, so that could be my "reasoning" for making that long haul).

Lastly - has anyone leased their TSX through someone other than Acura/Honda? I've had a friend recently go through D&M leasing in DFW, but I'm open to any other suggestions too.

Thanks for all the help - Hopefully I'll get to add to the "New Owners" post soon

I used a local credit union at 3%. Not too bad. They made me sign up as a member, and have an account w/ 5 bucks in it. Sounds like a deal for a low interest rate.
As far as what I payed, I paid 26K OTD but no-navi.
I have to call my dealer tomorrow anyways about my RSX, so I'll see if maybe he can help you out as well. This guy has helped me and my friends out so much. They have a few 05's on the lot, but none in red. Think it was one SSM, one Blue color, and one CG, think all were auto, not sure on Navi.
Are you set on red, so he can look around, or are you open to any other colors?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Advanced

As indicated on the first post, I got my for 29K and the dealer thew in window tinting (minor but good gesture). That was at Sterling Acura in South Austin. Sterling Acura has no more TSXs to test drive although McDavid should have one or two (auto and man.).

I stuck with Sterling because I was impressed by their professional salespersons. For example, all wore ties and slacks unlike McDavid (and many other dealers). Thats important in that they are a luxury car dealer, not a mainstream auto megaplex. Second, they were very upfront in what I wanted in terms of price. Finally, their owner came up to me and was frank about the difficulty in locating my specific TSX (I may not receive it until January) vs. blowing smoke up my arse. In all I was more comfortable with their relaxed style vs. the in-your-face hard sell of McDavid.

Wherever you go in TX, there will not be much of a price difference for the TSX. MacChurchill sorta annoyed me when I called them last month and they lied to me about physically having '05 TSXs in their lot. It was basically a bait and switch type scenrio I gathered.

Be advised that your ability to maneuver on a specifically inter-dealer traded TSX may be decreased in that someone has to eat up the extra shipping costs. I have yet to hear from Sterling about the whereabouts of my TSX. As stated in previous posts, manual w. NAV TSXs are very rare and larger Acura dealerships will probably have priority. Patience is a virtue.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Advanced

I have shared my sales experience from a year and a half ago. With staff turn over it seems that the sales crew at any one dealer could be entirely new 6 months later. I was not impressed by McDavid and Sterling hadn't opened at the time. In the intervening 18 months, I wonder if demand has increased and/or the dollar/yen exchange rates have raised the price. Since the prices you quote are a bit above what I remember.

While sales and service are two different things, I bought at Gunn in San Antonio and have had it serviced at the two local Austin dealers. For what ever it is worth here is my experience...

For those who know him, Kurt Bradley was the sales rep I first contacted at McDavid. He was a nice guy but unable to deal (sales managers?!) and so I eventually ended up at Gunn in San Antonio. Later Kurt moved to Sterling as their Service Manager. While he was very knowlegable about all things Honda (no speaky "VTEC"), I was underwhelmed by Sterling Acura's service department. Kurt moved on -- following his girl friend's career, was the story I heard. His replacements at Sterling never quite delivered on the promise of a higher Acura service standard. No call backs, no follow-up, no offer of loaner cars and a general sense of confusion left me wishing for my old Honda service department at 1st Texas Honda.

I have since moved to McDavid where the service department seems to have their act together. I get call backs, follow-ups, good explainations of what is happening and a offers of loaner cars, plus good chocolate cookies.

While this has little bearing on the sales part of the TSX experience I offer it for my Austin compadres' FYI. Part of what I paid for was the Acura experience, presumably a step up from my great experiences with Hondas. McDavid's service department has delivered on that.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
redpaul, are you scorching Kurt Bradley just for the sake of it, or are you talking about TSXs in Texas?

Kurt Bradley is a well established, and well respected member here, so you better have meat to your beef, or else you will get owned.

It always takes two to tango, and I bet you'll find your partner pretty quickly...
Old 12-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Advanced

What!?

I have nothing but repect for the Kurt and thought I conveyed it in my post. I was trying to offer insight from my experiences with three Texas Acura dealers. I mentioned Kurt only because I know he is a force around this forum and thought it would make my story more universally interesting for those beyond Texas.

As a sales rep he was very knowledable and approachable but his hands were tied a the dealer he was at. Later at another dealer as a service manager, a much better place given his vast knowledge about the technology, I enjoyed his explainations of the technical side of the cars (though there were times where my ignorance made it hard to follow or even to ask good questions). His being in charge of the service department was a real plus, in very new dealership that didn't seem to fully have its act together. When Mr. Bradley left they never did seem to get their act together and with him gone there wasn't any incentive to continue going there for me.

So to be very clear, I too worship Kurt Bradley <g>. Having met him, I respect him, found him to be direct and honest and have enjoyed his willingness to share his knowledge and experiences about automobiles and Honda products in particular.

My appologies if that didn't come through.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Advanced

On this topic, I started at the acura site and worked my way in an outwards radius from my location looking for an '05 CGP/Navi in the website inventory.

I found quite a few, tbh. Upon calling them, it was rare to find the website in disagreement with the inventory, but it did happen.

Moral of the story... if they say they can't locate it, they aren't trying hard enough because they want your sale at their convenience.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:02 AM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by campaachen
As indicated on the first post, I got my for 29K and the dealer thew in window tinting (minor but good gesture). That was at Sterling Acura in South Austin. Sterling Acura has no more TSXs to test drive although McDavid should have one or two (auto and man.).

I stuck with Sterling because I was impressed by their professional salespersons. For example, all wore ties and slacks unlike McDavid (and many other dealers). Thats important in that they are a luxury car dealer, not a mainstream auto megaplex. Second, they were very upfront in what I wanted in terms of price. Finally, their owner came up to me and was frank about the difficulty in locating my specific TSX (I may not receive it until January) vs. blowing smoke up my arse. In all I was more comfortable with their relaxed style vs. the in-your-face hard sell of McDavid.

Wherever you go in TX, there will not be much of a price difference for the TSX. MacChurchill sorta annoyed me when I called them last month and they lied to me about physically having '05 TSXs in their lot. It was basically a bait and switch type scenrio I gathered.

Be advised that your ability to maneuver on a specifically inter-dealer traded TSX may be decreased in that someone has to eat up the extra shipping costs. I have yet to hear from Sterling about the whereabouts of my TSX. As stated in previous posts, manual w. NAV TSXs are very rare and larger Acura dealerships will probably have priority. Patience is a virtue.

29K before or after TT&L?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redpaul
What!?

I have nothing but repect for the Kurt and thought I conveyed it in my post. I was trying to offer insight from my experiences with three Texas Acura dealers. I mentioned Kurt only because I know he is a force around this forum and thought it would make my story more universally interesting for those beyond Texas.

As a sales rep he was very knowledable and approachable but his hands were tied a the dealer he was at. Later at another dealer as a service manager, a much better place given his vast knowledge about the technology, I enjoyed his explainations of the technical side of the cars (though there were times where my ignorance made it hard to follow or even to ask good questions). His being in charge of the service department was a real plus, in very new dealership that didn't seem to fully have its act together. When Mr. Bradley left they never did seem to get their act together and with him gone there wasn't any incentive to continue going there for me.

So to be very clear, I too worship Kurt Bradley <g>. Having met him, I respect him, found him to be direct and honest and have enjoyed his willingness to share his knowledge and experiences about automobiles and Honda products in particular.

My appologies if that didn't come through.
I guess I read you wrong. My appologies to you.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:47 PM
Advanced

It was 29k minus TTL. I think it will be around 30.5k after TTL. I believe TX is 6.25% on new cars? I guess that is a better rate than the Cali ppl.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:27 PM
cmf
ATCer

tdurham-- sent you a PM about the red TSX
Old 12-03-2004, 11:48 PM
I make Boom Boom in

When I bought my TSX, Sterling Acura tried to jerk my chain, gave me a bogus price and when I called them back to make a deal, the guys was like, "no, we're not gonna sell it to you for that price" even though he told me he would 10 minutes earlier. What a bish. David McDavid Acura was the only dealer between Austin and Houston that actually gave me a decent deal. $25K-ish pre-tax on a 5at/non-navi back in June 04. I am thinking about going back to them to trade it in for an 04 6MT/Navi or an 05 6mt/navi and see what deals them can do for me. My car only has like 6K miles on it. What do you fools think about trading in my car?

I want to get a good price on an 05 or an even trade for an 04. Give me advice please.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:08 AM
Advanced

You will of course find that your baby has depreciated several $1000. Purely as a tranportation appliance purchase it makes no sense.

Now as an emotional desire to possess all the cool new features in the 05 cars, the thrill that can be had shifting your own gears, and the hours of amusement from the navi system it makes perfect sense, if you can afford it.

It is only money -- what else do you accumulate if for? <g>
Old 12-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul, while I moved on, I am still a good source of assistance for owners. I have taken on a career in restaurant management for those who weren't clear, and like having weekends again. I don't miss the car business a bit (well, maybe except for the little thrill I got once in a while). If I were to ever return, it would only be to Porsche or on a much higher level for AHMC. Driving instruction was always fun.

Don't sweat your earlier post, just know that some could take it in a couple of ways.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Has anyone received a '05 TSX in the Austin/Dallas area yet?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:15 PM
10th Gear

Hi All... Just wanted to post that I finally came to an agreement with David McDavid in Austin, and I put my deposit down for an 05 red/parch/AT/navi that should be arriving in 2-3 weeks! $28,900 + window tint + wheel locks before TTL. I almost got them to throw in the light wood trim kit for free, but the manager wouldn't agree to it, and I just didn't feel like fighting anymore. Can't wait to post in the new owner thread... What a great Christmas present for myself!

On a side note, I'm going to try and sell my current car in the next few weeks. I've never sold a car before, and plan on just taking some picks (got it detailed last night) and posting in the newspaper, AutoTrader, etc. Any advice? A few questions I have are 1) it's not paid off yet, so I don't physically own the title. Is that a problem? I'll just get it when I pay off the car and then send it to the new owner? and 2) What if I sell the car in a week or so (here's to hoping), and then I'm without a car for the next few weeks while the new one comes in? Is there any way to say in my advertisements that the car won't be ready until Dec 21st or so? Once I get a buyer, would I be able to negotiate with him/her (like I'll keep it until Dec 21, and as long as there is no more than 200 miles put on the car in that timeframe the deal is still on)? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not married, so I can't really bum rides off of my spouse. Worse scenario - I rent a car for a few weeks?

Thanks again for all the great info and advice on this site. It's really saved me a lot of money and also psyched me up even more for when I get to drive my new car home!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:35 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by tdurham
Hi All... Just wanted to post that I finally came to an agreement with David McDavid in Austin, and I put my deposit down for an 05 red/parch/AT/navi that should be arriving in 2-3 weeks! $28,900 + window tint + wheel locks before TTL. I almost got them to throw in the light wood trim kit for free, but the manager wouldn't agree to it, and I just didn't feel like fighting anymore. Can't wait to post in the new owner thread... What a great Christmas present for myself!

On a side note, I'm going to try and sell my current car in the next few weeks. I've never sold a car before, and plan on just taking some picks (got it detailed last night) and posting in the newspaper, AutoTrader, etc. Any advice? A few questions I have are 1) it's not paid off yet, so I don't physically own the title. Is that a problem? I'll just get it when I pay off the car and then send it to the new owner? and 2) What if I sell the car in a week or so (here's to hoping), and then I'm without a car for the next few weeks while the new one comes in? Is there any way to say in my advertisements that the car won't be ready until Dec 21st or so? Once I get a buyer, would I be able to negotiate with him/her (like I'll keep it until Dec 21, and as long as there is no more than 200 miles put on the car in that timeframe the deal is still on)? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not married, so I can't really bum rides off of my spouse. Worse scenario - I rent a car for a few weeks?

Thanks again for all the great info and advice on this site. It's really saved me a lot of money and also psyched me up even more for when I get to drive my new car home!

Good deal, glad to hear you got one lined up. Was wondering if you were still interested at all!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Congrats on your purchase. Similar to my deal at Sterling Acura although I ordered a CG/man/NAV combo. I will get mine sometime after Xmas...I hope.

Tint is a must in this part of the USA!

BTW, how come it is so expensive to install the dealer sold fog lights? I think the labor costs the same as the part.