2005 Acura TSX Brakes & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2005 Acura TSX Brakes & Rotors

Hi guys,

So I just bought this 2005 Acura TSX 5 Speed Automatic for my sister with 98K miles, and it needs rotors and brakes all around. Currently, their really bad to the point where the whole car vibrates immensely when braking at speeds over 35 mph.

I know the reason for this is the rotors, but I'm going to replace the brake pads as well, just to be on safe side.

So I wanted to know where to get the original OEM Acura/Honda TSX rotors and brakes for a really good price?

She used to have a Lexus, and she would get the Lexus/Toyota branded rotors and brakes online from this site that sold wholesale original OEM license parts, and they would last very long!

Is there a site for Acura parts brakes and rotors?

Also, if there isn't what rotors/brake pads would fellow TSX owners recommend, that are priced well and have excellent quality?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by trehman
Hi guys,

So I just bought this 2005 Acura TSX 5 Speed Automatic for my sister with 98K miles, and it needs rotors and brakes all around. Currently, their really bad to the point where the whole car vibrates immensely when braking at speeds over 35 mph.

I know the reason for this is the rotors, but I'm going to replace the brake pads as well, just to be on safe side.

So I wanted to know where to get the original OEM Acura/Honda TSX rotors and brakes for a really good price?

She used to have a Lexus, and she would get the Lexus/Toyota branded rotors and brakes online from this site that sold wholesale original OEM license parts, and they would last very long!

Is there a site for Acura parts brakes and rotors?

Also, if there isn't what rotors/brake pads would fellow TSX owners recommend, that are priced well and have excellent quality?

Thanks!
We offer a brake package for the TSX that is much more durable than the factory components.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-401954.aspx

These Acurazine brake packages are designed to improve braking performance and durability at a reasonable price. The packages include Powerslot/STOPTECH performance rotors and STOPTECH Performance pads. All of the rotors have a black e-coating on the hubs and vanes and an advanced alloy composition. The Powerslot slotted rotors for the front of most Acuras also have a Power Alloy composition and a curved vane construction, which helps reduce heat in the brake system. The STOPTECH Performance pads are a para-aramid compound, which has great initial bite and long-term performance and lower dust and noise than most aftermarket brake pads.

If you want ceramic pads PM me and we can lower the price. We can lower the price further with just premium rotors.
The following users liked this post:
GWEEDOspeedo (10-24-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Do NOT use stock Acura/Honda parts.

The stock rotors are very prone to warping, and the stock pads are simply designed to brake acceptably while not putting out too much dust. Go aftermarket, there are several packages available from several sources that will be much better than stock.

I swapped my stock rotors for basic Brembo blanks and my pads for Hawks, and the increase in brake feel and performance is noticable, and that is from a simple change to beefier rotors and sightly dustier pads.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought this 4 point set from autoanything. http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

The rotors look great and stop better than OEM. The only down side is the pads are pretty dusty. But you can't beat the price. I've put 10k on them and not even a sign of noise yet.
wifipad (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

I've upgraded my rotors to aftermarket slotted rotors and my pads to aftermarket ceramic pads and I haven't looked back. So much better than OEM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xenonhid
I've upgraded my rotors to aftermarket slotted rotors and my pads to aftermarket ceramic pads and I haven't looked back. So much better than OEM.
Which ones did you use? Company?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Excelerate
We offer a brake package for the TSX that is much more durable than the factory components.

These Acurazine brake packages are designed to improve braking performance and durability at a reasonable price. The packages include Powerslot/STOPTECH performance rotors and STOPTECH Performance pads. All of the rotors have a black e-coating on the hubs and vanes and an advanced alloy composition. The Powerslot slotted rotors for the front of most Acuras also have a Power Alloy composition and a curved vane construction, which helps reduce heat in the brake system. The STOPTECH Performance pads are a para-aramid compound, which has great initial bite and long-term performance and lower dust and noise than most aftermarket brake pads.

If you want ceramic pads PM me and we can lower the price. We can lower the price further with just premium rotors.
I tried PMing you but no luck.

But anyways How much for ceramic brake kit?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by benda36
I bought this 4 point set from autoanything. http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

The rotors look great and stop better than OEM. The only down side is the pads are pretty dusty. But you can't beat the price. I've put 10k on them and not even a sign of noise yet.
Those are at a really good price. Can anyone else confirm this brake kit is worth the money??
Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
It sounds like the OP is just looking for OEM type of a brake set up. This is a used card with 100K miles and for his sister.

A nice affordable set up would be Centric Premium Rotors and Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads. It won't break the bank, will give you better rotors than OEM, won't dust terribly, are quiet, and all you need for a grocery getter.

I've had good luck with AutoAnything. Relatively good prices and quick shipping. You can probably find a discount code if you are buying over $100.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

I tried PMing you but no luck.

But anyways How much for ceramic brake kit?
Please email me at sales@excelerateperformance.com

What do you mean by a ceramic brake kit? Those typically are only for high end vehicles like Ferrari, Porsche, etc etc. Do you mean ceramic brake pads?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I used plain old Brembo blanks and Hawk pads. HeelToe.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Glad to hear this. I actually have the exact same rotors and pads, if they are the PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors along with the ceramic brake pads. Just had both the rotors and pads installed very recently. Got them for an excellent deal online. Happy with them so far. They are very quiet and brake well.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm at 91,000 and need to stop fiddling around with not yet buying new rotors. I can feel how the original rotors have warped when I brake. I read around the forums and decided to order Excelerate's Acurazine combo deal.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GWEEDOspeedo
I'm at 91,000 and need to stop fiddling around with not yet buying new rotors. I can feel how the original rotors have warped when I brake. I read around the forums and decided to order Excelerate's Acurazine combo deal.
For how much and where?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wifipad
Glad to hear this. I actually have the exact same rotors and pads, if they are the PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors along with the ceramic brake pads. Just had both the rotors and pads installed very recently. Got them for an excellent deal online. Happy with them so far. They are very quiet and brake well.
And how much and where did you get them from?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
El Cunado

For how much and where?
From Excelerate's post above for $380 rotors + pads:

Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

I felt the same way when driving on the highway and had to make a stop at a high speed. The car would start shaking because the front rotors were warped and the pads were not that good anymore. Car feels totally different now with brand new rotors and brakes. Glad that I replaced the rotors with new ones instead of having the old ones resurfaced. Brakes are very quiet. I like ceramic pads. Not exactly sure how long they'll last, but I got about 51,000 miles out of my old rotors and brake pads. 6 years was long enough and I figured that putting new rotors along with ceramic pads was a good investment.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Rotors warping is a complete myth. It doesn't happen.

You guys are experiencing brake pads break-down causing deposits on the rotors.

The best brakes out there are RB performance brakes found in HTSpec brake packages...
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=1135
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 PM
El Cunado

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Rotors warping is a complete myth. It doesn't happen.
How does that happen and not appear to the eye on the rotor? I can't prove my rotors are at all warped until I get them off the axle, but it certainly feels that way during medium-to-heavy braking.

This appears to describe what you're talking about but I don't see the images.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
How does that happen and not appear to the eye on the rotor? I can't prove my rotors are at all warped until I get them off the axle, but it certainly feels that way during medium-to-heavy braking.

This appears to describe what you're talking about but I don't see the images.
If your rotors are truly warped (which is doubtful unless they have been damaged by improper installation) you can take it to a shop and ask them to measure the run-out. They will put a measuring device on the rotor and turn the rotor and check for 'warping' and more than likely tell you they need to be turned and be happy to charge you for it. This will probably fix the immediate problem because this will remove the brake material from the rotor.

Take a few minutes and read this... it will answer your questions.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
El Cunado

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
If your rotors are truly warped (which is doubtful unless they have been damaged by improper installation) you can take it to a shop and ask them to measure the run-out. They will put a measuring device on the rotor and turn the rotor and check for 'warping' and more than likely tell you they need to be turned and be happy to charge you for it. This will probably fix the immediate problem because this will remove the brake material from the rotor.

Take a few minutes and read this... it will answer your questions.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Yeah, that's the link I set my last sentence to go to. It's a lot to take in. Wouldn't 'brake pad material' be noticeable to the naked eye? The website pictures don't load for me. Is it that ridiculous to think that rotors could wear to a negative point after 6 years of varying environments (living in a state that gets true four seasons) and 91,000+ miles of wear through highway/city driving?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

No, it would not be generally. If it gets really bad you get "glazing" on the rotor which has a brigher shine than the dull satin look the rotors should have. But you have to sort-of go on faith that the rotors are not warped.

Fact is, rotors CAN warp, and it really is due to heat or quality issues, no so much installation but that can impact RUNOUT. Runout is the hub being untrue, which can also cause a vibration.

My follow up on that Stoptech read has gotten a lot of attention over the years as well, check this out:

Full article:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-arti...on-brakes.html

Originally Posted by "mrheeltoe
Heeltoe’s Take on Brakes

Perhaps, before outlining my beliefs here, maybe I should mention a little about myself. My name is Marcus di Sabella. I have been directly involved in the automotive performance and repair arena since 1997 as a service technician, parts consultant, direct retailer, and customer support agent. I have been indirectly involved in the industry (as a consumer) since 1994. I have BS in Manufacturing Engineering Technology program at Cal State Long Beach as of Summer 2007. I am speaking in this article to and from the perspective of street sports driver.

Brake Rotors
What are we talking about here? Cast iron. Rotors are made out of cast iron because this material possesses many of the properties necessary for brake rotors to function. They can handle high temperatures and they are great at dampening vibration. They are also relatively inexpensive to produce. In fact, a basic, run-of-the-mill cast iron rotor is downright cheap to produce. It is not expensive to make a rotor that will "get the job done." And yet, so many of us are having trouble with brake rotors warping and having brake pad material build up on the rotor surface causing a violent shaking in the steering wheel. If stock rotors were adequate, why is this happening?

There are three main reasons why a brake system will cause a shimmy under braking.
1- Rotors warping
2- Brake pad material buildup
3- Inconsistent rotor hardness

Let's look closer at these points. Learning more about them will help us in fighting them.

Rotors warping (and cracking)
This issue is caused by heat. Not just too much heat, but also too much change in heat. Braking involves friction between the pads and rotors. Average around the town driving will not create excessive heat, but braking for sustained periods, lightly, or heavily, will. Descending down a hill is a good example. A small or average hill will not cause an issue, but coming down a mountain certainly will. Riding the brakes for long periods of time will cause considerable heat buildup. Or prolonged braking when exiting a freeway off ramp. Sustained braking like this will cause the pad material to get very hot, and this heat is dissipated into the rotor. Brakes can get so hot, in fact, that the material itself will start to break down. The average brake rotor will start to crack at the microscopic level. Once these cracks start, they begin to grow. Pretty soon they are visible, and then the rotors are dangerous to use. The important thing to know is, just because the cracks may not be visible, they can still be present on the rotor!

The warping occurs when the rotors get extremely hot, and are not cooled down evenly. The rotor material can get so hot that it actually becomes softer. If it is not cooled down slowly and evenly, it will actually re-solidify out of its original shape. Flat faces are no longer flat, and the rotor is no longer true. The rotor is then warped.

I once read a very interesting and enlightening article by an author named Carroll Smith. In his
The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System, he calls out the phenomenon of warped brake discs as a myth. In fact, he indicated just about any inconsistency in brake rotor surface is caused by brake pad material being unevenly deposited on the rotor surface. I do not agree; I do not believe brake rotor warping is a myth.

Full article:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-arti...on-brakes.html
wifipad (10-31-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
10th Gear

trehman: all the vendors/sponsors of this site mentioned before have good replacements...different prices for different setups/brands of course. there is a 36-page discussion on vendor BrakeMotive's Kinetic Rotors/pads that a bunch of us got, real cheap compared to name brand stuff and most of us are happy, for the price paid...
Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

These are the same ones most of us here got, from BrakeMotives, at the cheapest prices around (shop around and compare and you'll see)... had them installed for a month now and been very happy... more so then the OEM (which is just garbage)
Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Intermediate

Can't decide between PowerAnything's Ceramic brake pads and slotted rotors for $275.97 (with discount from CSR, only total $262.12) LINK: http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A1903610.aspx

or

Excelerate's StopTech PosiQuiet Ceramic Brake Pads, and regular StopTech Premium rotors for $285 total.

ROTORS (REAR) LINK: http://store.excelerateperformance.c...?itemid=334834

ROTORS (FRONT) LINK:
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-334825.aspx

PADS LINK: http://store.excelerateperformance.c...618&make=ACURA

I need help deciding guys. I want rotors that will last me a while and not warp (this is a big one for her), since she goes to the highway everyday along with some city driving.

Which one out of those would you choose?

Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Ceramics are junk, in our experience. Ceramic pads simply are no improvement over stock. I have yet to find a compound of ceramic pad that has been good at anything.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh and there is only ONE rotor has a reinforced hub area for better strength AND heat treat for more wear resistance AND curved vanes for more efficient cooling: Racingbrake
lsupcar (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Ok guys finally decided on a brake kit and ordered it!

I decided on the PowerStop Drilled/Slotted rotors plus performance ceramic brake pads from AutoAccessoriesGarage.com. Compared to AutoAnything.com who were selling the same kit for $275.65, I bought from AutoAccessoriesGarage for $262.57 and then used the 10% new customer discount on the top of their website and that brought the price down to $236.30 with taxes and shipping (AutoAnything's discount new customer code doesn't work on PowerStop products). I'm so glad I found their site!

I'll be sure to update you guys once I get the brake kit an install it!

Here is the link for anytime else that might want to order them: http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...Stop-Brake-Kit
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm looking at getting something similar to stock pads minus the deposit buildup. I'm thinking of getting the Brembo blanks for the rotors, should I get the low end Hawks PC ones or would even the Autozone Duralast Gold work? Keep in mind I want very little noise just like the OEM ones.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM
10th Gear

$145 shipped for drilled slotted rotors + ceramic pads
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390411249256...84.m1423.l2649
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM
9th Gear

Are these break good for year round usage? I live in Alberta and the winters here get extremely cold.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by finalboss
Are these break good for year round usage? I live in Alberta and the winters here get extremely cold.
Absolutely.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM
9th Gear

I will be looking in to doing my brakes soon so I will definately checkout excelerate.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dslexic
I will be looking in to doing my brakes soon so I will definately checkout excelerate.