1st Acura AWD sedan - TSX or TL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 1st Acura AWD sedan - TSX or TL?

Audi, BMW, MB, VW, Subaru, Volvo and now Infiniti all have sedans that feature various AWD systems. "IF" and this is a big "IF", Acura ever comes out with an AWD sedan, do you think it will debut on the TSX or the TL? Here are my thoughts...

I would put my money on the TL for a variety of reasons.

WEIGHT & PERFORMANCE: The TSX's 4 cylinder engine is already pulling a lot of weight around and adding the extra weight of an AWD system would hurt it's overall performance even more. Maybe a V6 version of the TSX would be better suited for any AWD system?

PRICE: The TSX is priced at 26,990 w/o navi. Adding AWD to a vehicle is usually around $2,200. That would bring the cost to around 29,200 which still isn't bad, but I am not sure they could do it with the 4 cylinder engine. Adding a V6 would push the price too close to the TL and I just don't see that happening.

The TL has more than enough power to handle the addition of an AWD system and more importantly, the TL's MSRP is more in line with the price being offered for the competitions AWD sedans.

The 2005 Volvo S40 will be interesting to see. The T5 edition will feature a turbocharged 220-horsepower engine with AWD. Early-to-mid 2004 - estimated $28,000 range. That vehicle will come down to the interior. IMO, Volvo has yet to impress me with ANY of thier interiors.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:17 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd guess it would come in on the higher models, maybe even the rl, ...and then works its way down to the TSX.

I also think the TSX will eventually get a 6 cyl engine. With the horsepower wars going the way they are ... I dont think a N/A 4 will be able to keep up once cars like the 325, is300, A4, etc start getting alot more power in the next few years. Then again maybe I am not giving enough credit to honda...they are masters of the 4 bangers so maybe they can figure something out.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
What we know for sure is that the next RL due later this year will not be FWD, thats been confirmed by the president of Honda. We can safely bet it won't be RWD so I guess it will be the first AWD Acura.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:48 PM
More On

TL, because of some additional reasons:

-- There are going to be a lot more of them, so the extra start-up manufacturing costs would be a lot less on a per-car basis.

-- TL's have basically their own production lines. TSX doesn't. (Right??)

But if they come out with an AWD on the Euro Accord, it's all a different story -- then it could go either way.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by larchmont
But if they come out with an AWD on the Euro Accord, it's all a different story -- then it could go either way.
There already is a AWD TSX sold in Japan using the Base RSX 2.0L 160Hp engine. Its not sold in Europe but its made in the same factory as our TSX.

The RL will be the first AWD Acura IMO.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:56 PM
More On

Funny that someone could do 4000 posts without knowing that, eh?
Old 01-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro

Originally posted by domn
Has anyone seen any spy photo's of what any new RL might look like? The current RL is just so boring...
Old 01-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

I think RL will get AWD first in America.Usually the "flahship" is the first to get the new item. And a V-6 TSX.. i don;t think so.... Acura will stay in I-4 for TSX. like EL model. In 99 is 1.6, 2000 move to 1.7. But still have the same HP. even the civic have the same HP as EL now.. (in 99 EL have 20hp more compare to 99 civic, beside SIR model) so acura won;t change TSX to V-6.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by domn
I second or third or fourth this...
Old 01-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Last rumor I heard was the RL will have a 6-cylinder engine driving the front wheels and IMA driving the rear wheels. It sounds like it's for performance rather than all weather capabilities, I don't think it's even considered to be truly AWD. But like I said, it's just a rumor.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

I bet on the TL too. But I hope the TSX will have as Type-S version with 240 hp+ :'(
Old 01-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

It's almost certain the RL will be an AWD platform and the fourth gen TL will be next. For the TSX who knows, there is one in Japan right now.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Let's not all forget that the TSX has been engineered in its current form to accept IMA driving the rear wheels.

The RL will be first, but don't put the money on that AWD TL just yet. However, the "where it fits in the line" problem is a very big one ... oh wait ... check out the A4 Quattro vs. the A6 prices

I personally think the TSX AWD might have a bigger market than a more luxury based TL market. Anyone have a place handy that shows Audi's quattro sales on A4 vs. A6? That would be verrrrry interesting and might give some insight on this debate.

As for me ... I might just have to buy whichever one comes in 2nd after the RL
Old 01-02-2004, 10:21 PM
has been here awhile

Re: 1st Acura AWD sedan - TSX or TL?

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
..."IF" and this is a big "IF", Acura ever comes out with an AWD sedan, do you think it will debut on the TSX or the TL?...
Sorry, but AWD for future Acuras is not an "IF" question...it's WHEN and WHAT. Around the beginning of April we'll see the new RL @ the New York Auto Show (which almost certainly has AWD or some form of it.) Acura knows that it can't keep making FWD cars while upping HP.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro

Re: Re: 1st Acura AWD sedan - TSX or TL?

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Sorry, but AWD for future Acuras is not an "IF" question...it's WHEN and WHAT. Around the beginning of April we'll see the new RL @ the New York Auto Show (which almost certainly has AWD or some form of it.) Acura knows that it can't keep making FWD cars while upping HP.
I hope you are right, but I just don't see a big market for the RL unless it is a totally, and I mean totally different car. Either that or it will have to be consideribly less than the other flagship vehicles out there because there is a lot of stiff competition.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Racer

RL will be introduced with AWD, TL will get it next (to compete with AWD G35 and also to mitigate the reported excessive torque steer on the 6MT model especially) and the TSX will also get it, maybe even for 05.
Why do they need to put a 6 cyl in the TSX if they can tweak the I4 to make a smooth 240 HP or so? What's the point? Buyers haven't been so put off by the fact the TSX has a 4 cyl anyway, judging by sales.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:52 PM
More On

Re: Re: Re: 1st Acura AWD sedan - TSX or TL?

.....I just don't see a big market for the RL unless it is a totally, and I mean totally different car. Either that or it will have to be consideribly less than the other flagship vehicles out there because there is a lot of stiff competition.
Gotta agree with B-D. I never much understood what the RL market is, but I don't see how it would help much to put AWD on anything like the old RL.

Putting it all together, I'd have to guess the new one IS going to be a very different car all around.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
RL will be introduced with AWD, TL will get it next (to compete with AWD G35 and also to mitigate the reported excessive torque steer on the 6MT model especially) and the TSX will also get it, maybe even for 05.
Why do they need to put a 6 cyl in the TSX if they can tweak the I4 to make a smooth 240 HP or so? What's the point? Buyers haven't been so put off by the fact the TSX has a 4 cyl anyway, judging by sales.
AWD TSX in 05? That would mean it would be coming out toward the end of this summer? I think that is a little optimistic, but I think we would all love to see it.
As far as upping the 4 cylinder to 240hp, I think that is a little more than a "tweak" and I think they already "tweaked" fairly well to get it to 200hp. Can Honda/Acura do it, of course they can, but I would think that slapping in the current 240hp V6 Accord engine would be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier. Even if they tweaked the current 4 cylinder engine, the additional weight of the AWD system would eat up a lot of that additional hp in a hurry.
Although the 4 cylinder in the TSX is not preventing people from buying it, I don't think it is exactly thier main selling point either. I think it would be doing just as well if not better with a 240hp V6, even if that bumped the starting price to 28k.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Racer

AWD TSX in 05? That would mean it would be coming out toward the end of this summer? I think that is a little optimistic, but I think we would all love to see it.
As far as upping the 4 cylinder to 240hp, I think that is a little more than a "tweak" and I think they already "tweaked" fairly well to get it to 200hp. Can Honda/Acura do it, of course they can, but I would think that slapping in the current 240hp V6 Accord engine would be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier. Even if they tweaked the current 4 cylinder engine, the additional weight of the AWD system would eat up a lot of that additional hp in a hurry.
Although the 4 cylinder in the TSX is not preventing people from buying it, I don't think it is exactly thier main selling point either. I think it would be doing just as well if not better with a 240hp V6, even if that bumped the starting price to 28k.
I'm guessing the V6 won't fit in the European Accord's smaller engine bay and would also add too much weight? 240 HP is do-able for Honda with this engine, just give them some time. 2005 may be too optimistic, perhaps 2006. A 240 HP engine is going to be plenty in an AWD TSX. Figure 10-15 HP to take care of the added weight and you still have 25 or more left. Plenty enough - the car will probably be quicker.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:19 PM
has been here awhile

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Acura AWD sedan - TSX or TL?

Originally posted by larchmont
...Putting it all together, I'd have to guess the new one IS going to be a very different car all around.
Definately--seeing the TL, we all know that Acura is capable of making a very nice, sporty, luxo-cruiser. I think the new RL will make up for the long wait...and my guess is that it'll be a flagship sized car with a mid-size price ($47-50k).