15K Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15K Report

Well I’ve had my 05 SSM 6MT TSX (Non-Navi) for 15K and about 17 months now. I have been lurking on this site for some time and have found it very entertaining and informative so I thought I would post this. Overall my impressions of the car are very favorable. Before the TSX I was driving a 95 Del Sol so I made a big move up. I wanted to move into a used CL S but my wife insisted on a 4 door because our baby son was on the way. Here are my impressions of the car so far:

Engine: What’s there not to like, as everyone says the K series is unbelievably smooth. As for it being underpowered, well it is less powerful than a lot of cars but in normal driving I don’t notice it. In fact I get frustrated because I rarely get to use the power it does have. (I commute during rush hour.) I mean realistically I don’t need any more power, I speed enough as it is. I am always amazed at the more powerful cars (especially TLs) I pass on both the freeway and surface streets.

Transmission: The 6 speed MT is a freaking work of art.

Handling: Fantastic. For a stock set up what more could you want? I will be ordering a Progress or Comptech Rear Sway Bar soon.

Stock Tires: Cheap. I accidentally squeal the tires while accelerating. That should not happen in a FWD underpowered car. I am consoled because I know they will wear out eventually.

Stereo: The stock speakers could be better but overall it’s a damn good system. The sound is crisp and provides good detail. The sound seems to have gotten better over time. Is that possible, or am I just getting used to it? One qualm: the display doesn’t show the time remaining or elapsed on CD tracks.

Interior: Impressive. I love the minimalist look. Very elegant. Fit and finish is excellent, I have had no squeaks or rattles. Everything is easy to reach, there is ample storage space, and there is a handy reminder that that red felt pocket is not an ashtray. The interior cleans up nice: When my wife was in labor she vomited all over the passenger door on the way to the hospital. It cleaned up easily. Getting the baby in and out of the back seat has been no problem. The trunk is plenty big. One qualm: I find the shift knob to be oddly un-ergonomic. It just isn’t comfortable to me. I’m thinking of replacing it, maybe with a momo.

I have had only one problem with the car and it was very minor. A small piece of exterior molding on the drivers door was pealing off. Dealer told me he’d call when he got the part in, he didn’t. I went to another dealer, was told they would call when they got the part in, they didn’t. So I called them: at first they wanted me to tell them what part they were supposed to have ordered. Since I didn’t know the name of the part I couldn’t. They fumbled around until I got bitchy and they just set up an appointment. It took them a whole week to install this little tiny piece of molding. Apparently they had never had to replace that particular part before. The upside was they gave me a TL to drive for the week. I wasn’t so impressed with the TL. The fit and finish was not at the level of the TSX. The engine was more powerful but the car didn’t seem to want to go fast. I did not like the AT at all. It handled like a boat. It would be a great Pontiac. I was happy to get the TSX back.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice evaluation