The 115 MILE FIRST IMPRESSION

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 115 MILE FIRST IMPRESSION

Just bought the 2005 TSX 6MT, No Nav, Silver with Quartz interior.

The overall impression; Car handles, feels like worth at least 10K dollars more than what it costs. Everything is so well though out. Styling, inside out is so much to the point and precise that even after 5 -6 years it will still look new...

Driving & other initial impressions; Very eager engine. You will be surprise how much power this engine can pack in just 2.4 Litres and with 4 cylinders. Power delivery is smooth in all the gears. Even on overpasses the 6th gear delivers with amazing grace. The raod feedback is precise, steering is tight and razor sharp. I have mostly driven my first 100 miles with VSA on. The transmission is a real gem. Seats are perfect for my height and built. I had read in one magazie review that all controls feel as if coated in vaseline; yes it is like that; the sound of door-closing, the door handle grip, the transmission gear changes, radio controls...list can go on.
The interior space is more than enough for 4 passengers. Actually it has 91 Cubic feet, same as a Pontiac Grand AM, a little more than the Benz C Class.

I have tested many cars including;

Audi A4: nice interior, but not so nice mechanically anymore. 3.0 litre is better but so much more money. 1.8T does not offer good power and tends to be noisey. Poor tranny compared to TSX, even the 6 speed that comes with Quattro.

ES330 (diffrent category however): Just like camry, found the tranny a little confusing.

Saab 93: A little more noise, less refined, not so much well put together, not so impressive - general interior in the base trim.

Acura TL: Liked the car with Auto tranny. The 6MT does not suit this car. Too much power for this front heavy design.

Infiniti G35: Very nice ride, not so great interior, uniques design (good or bad?). Can not get the 6Mt with AWD, and RWD is no choice for my geograohical area, so not a choice. This would still be my second choice even if prices were same for TSX and G35.

To sum up; Its a handsome car and perhaps the best Acura till date, be it craftsmanship / driving charactaristic / sportiness / fit and finish and the value as well.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much summed up my analysis of the competition to the "tee."

I'm on mile 650. I am really enjoying the surprising power in the mid-band. Very surprising - almost every time! For those who said it feels like a "6" are right. It does, but some of that might have to do with the sound dampering in the cabin that does not communicate a 4-cyl squeal. Additionally, the power in 2-6 is, in a word, potent.

I'm still struggling with smooth 1/2 shift points (some jerking when thrusting quick). I guess I'll need to put more miles on her to get it right.

Jon
Old 01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch

I'm on mile 650. I am really enjoying the surprising power in the mid-band. Very surprising - almost every time! For those who said it feels like a "6" are right. It does, but some of that might have to do with the sound dampering in the cabin that does not communicate a 4-cyl squeal. Additionally, the power in 2-6 is, in a word, potent.

I'm still struggling with smooth 1/2 shift points (some jerking when thrusting quick). I guess I'll need to put more miles on her to get it right.

Jon
when i drove it home form the dealership, i found the ride a bit tooo stiff, but after two days, now, i see the difference. i guess it was just a result of perception also; driving the new car with extra care / not being able to get the correct sweet driving position/ just the initial awe, etc.. i totally agree with yo on the power. about the gears, i still need to get some more time and expeience with changing between 5th and the 6th.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Pantji...All good info. As the owner of an 02 RSX-S and a soon to be shopper for a TSX I was also considering that color choice. How does the quartz look up against the silver??? The local dealer has an A/T Silver with Ebony on the lot but I have yet to see it with quartz.
Anyway....thanks for the great review. You ever think of working for Car and Driver........
Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chompin
Pantji...All good info. As the owner of an 02 RSX-S and a soon to be shopper for a TSX I was also considering that color choice. How does the quartz look up against the silver??? The local dealer has an A/T Silver with Ebony on the lot but I have yet to see it with quartz.
Anyway....thanks for the great review. You ever think of working for Car and Driver........
even i had the ebony inside a silver exterior in mind earlier. the reason for this was quartz is not that well advertised; on acura website its all silver with ebony interior (very high quality graphics though). a couple days ago i read it in this forum about quartz interior. one evening i go to the delae lot and see the quartz interior in a metior silver tsx. even though it was nite time i could sense it would look good. came back and saw the pics here in the forum. i must tell you the pics reall y dont do justice to certain things in the world; and quartz inerior is one of those things.

i am very happy that i got satin silver with quartz. today after much deliberation i also got the acura all season floor mats in black. i have read many people debating black floor mats on a quartz floor. beleive me guys at acura must have some aestheic blending sense; the black mats do look good inside quartz interior....well i wrote more than you asked for.. just too excited to share my experience. good luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:03 PM
04 remembrance

The TSX grabbed you by the balls.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Advanced

Jon
And just think, if you're only shifting at 5,000 rpm, you're leaving 40 hp on the table.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Instructor

I have really enjoyed the car very much in the almost 1000 miles I have put on it. I have a 05 CG/Ebony 6spd Navi. I feel like I am rich when I am in the car. The interior is awesome! All controls coated in teflon. The only two things on the car that feel cheap to me are the way the doors close (they sound hollow) and the way the engine sounds at start up. As soon as it fires it is fine. I love the car and am shocked at how smooth the engine is. The navi system was worth every penny for me.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally Posted by pantji
when i drove it home form the dealership, i found the ride a bit tooo stiff, but after two days, now, i see the difference. i guess it was just a result of perception also; driving the new car with extra care / not being able to get the correct sweet driving position/ just the initial awe, etc.. i totally agree with yo on the power. about the gears, i still need to get some more time and expeience with changing between 5th and the 6th.

Congrats! I've been driving mine for coming in on two years already and still loving it! (april 3)

If you feel the ride is stiff or jarring you might want to check your tire inflations. There have been report of dealerships not lowering the pressure put into the tires for shipping and people getting cars with as much as 40psi per tire. 32/30 is reccomended, but I ran 35 all around for better handling/economy.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Happy TSX owner

Originally Posted by jwb998
I have really enjoyed the car very much in the almost 1000 miles I have put on it. I have a 05 CG/Ebony 6spd Navi. I feel like I am rich when I am in the car. The interior is awesome! All controls coated in teflon. The only two things on the car that feel cheap to me are the way the doors close (they sound hollow) and the way the engine sounds at start up. As soon as it fires it is fine. I love the car and am shocked at how smooth the engine is. The navi system was worth every penny for me.

Agree with all the above, except the one with the door closing sound. Actually, I feel the door closing sound is a hallmark for the TSX. Total solid, deep sound. Gives you a feeling of well refined sturdiness (as if there is such a thing :-) )
Old 01-21-2005, 11:06 AM
CEO of IMHO

I remember when they introduced the TSX, they made a special point of the specially-engineered "thunk" sound the doors should make when closing. It seemed a bit weird to me that they'd advertise this, but I think they were trying to say that they were going after the A4 market.

Anyway, I also am a huge fan of the TSX NAVI configuration. Personally, the NAVI transforms the car into a hi-tech luxury sports sedan without peer. You could argue that a 325i is a better sport experience than the TSX, but if you add NAVI (which, actually is much more than NAVI -- it makes the entire car voice-controlled), then not only is the price differential laughable, but Acura's NAVI is the best in the OEM business, and to have access to this best-in-class NAVI in a car available in the $20k's is just an astounding bargain and opportunity.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSXrocks
Agree with all the above, except the one with the door closing sound. Actually, I feel the door closing sound is a hallmark for the TSX. Total solid, deep sound. Gives you a feeling of well refined sturdiness (as if there is such a thing :-) )
I have shown my TSX to coupleof friends. one comment, and usually the first one after tey have touched the car comes is about the door, how well the hadles behave, and door sound... all compliments, none negative. i have actually not seen any car with this one piece sound in any other car.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by pantji
I have shown my TSX to coupleof friends. one comment, and usually the first one after tey have touched the car comes is about the door, how well the hadles behave, and door sound... all compliments, none negative. i have actually not seen any car with this one piece sound in any other car.

The door sound is one of my complaints.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Jon, just at 850 miles here and I find that the 1>2 shift can be a little 'jerky' as well. This seems to be more so as the car is warming up. For the most part the shifts are imperceptible with the 6MT. I realize this is not the car for stop-light drag races but feel there is plenty of power for all of my day to day driving.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Instructor

I remember when they introduced the TSX, they made a special point of the specially-engineered "thunk" sound the doors should make when closing. It seemed a bit weird to me that they'd advertise this, but I think they were trying to say that they were going after the A4 market.

Anyway, I also am a huge fan of the TSX NAVI configuration. Personally, the NAVI transforms the car into a hi-tech luxury sports sedan without peer. You could argue that a 325i is a better sport experience than the TSX, but if you add NAVI (which, actually is much more than NAVI -- it makes the entire car voice-controlled), then not only is the price differential laughable, but Acura's NAVI is the best in the OEM business, and to have access to this best-in-class NAVI in a car available in the $20k's is just an astounding bargain and opportunity.
For the door sound, I must just be use to the click sould that a door makes. The TSX surely makes a "thunk". I do really like the handles.

As for the Navi coment, you sumed it up perfect. The thing is so easy to use and is so useful. I asked my wife how we are ever going to buy a car again without the acura/honda Navi system!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:07 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The door sound is fine when the doors are closed very gently. But when you slam them it sounds like slamming the lid on a garbage can. It sounds very cheap .. and its one of my complaints about the TSX. They have some work to do here to get that Audi "thud".

Its a minor issue though.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by fdl
The door sound is fine when the doors are closed very gently. But when you slam them it sounds like slamming the lid on a garbage can. It sounds very cheap .. and its one of my complaints about the TSX. They have some work to do here to get that Audi "thud".

Its a minor issue though.
Agreed. It seems to me the drivers door is less tinny sounding than the others, though.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Banned

the closing sound is quite different between front and rear door, right ?
Old 01-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Master in Science

Recommend you always drive the car with VSA on (except in deep snow). It will save you when you least expect it.