1000 Mile Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1000 Mile Review

well, it's actually slightly over 1200 now, but I've been busy and didn't have a chance to sit down and write out a review until now....

just a little background information, i bought my TSX about 2.5 weeks ago, trading in an '02 Jetta 1.8T (that was loaded with maintenance issues....)

first of all, i'll go ahead and state some of the obvious differences between the two cars. i like the looks of the TSX better, the interior is a night and day difference, and the german vs. japanese engineering is definitely something to get used to. the jetta was definitely more sporty, more of a drivers car. the TSX however, is a much more luxurious and refined driving experience. admittedly, it took around a week for me to actually get used to driving the TSX since the two cars are so different in size and feel.

things I knew I'd really like, and do really like:
- comfort of the seats. I love them...the leather is soft, and i like how the seats kinda hug you into the chair.
- smooth as silk transmission and engine. thank you acura!
- having power everything!
- XM -- I'm a music junky and enjoy having so much variety. sometimes i hit some dead spots, but i live downtown chicago, i should probably expect that every now and then with all the interference in the area

things that I didn't even think about/notice when buying, but LOVE on the TSX:
- the HID headlights: I've never experienced lights like this before, and can't believe how they light up everything in sight. amazing!
- the low end rumble of the car when you're engaging the clutch
- the windshield wipers: they're great, and my pet peeve is shitty wipers
- autodim on the rearview mirror -- very cool
- the instrument panel's clarity is top notch
- i think the car is a bit faster than it gets credit for. i originally thought it was a bit slow too, but i soon realized that i was used to a turbo charged engine with a disproportionate torque curve. the TSX is every bit as fast as my last car, it just accellerates much differently. much smoother, more refined!
- nice sized trunk

little things that i'd change, but obviously aren't the end of the world:
- turning radius: obviously being a bigger car, i can't whip around like i could in the jetta. not too much of a problem, I knew this was coming even before i bought the car, and it obviously wasn't a dealbreaker
- the cd player: how come it doesn't display the timing of the track? (maybe i just haven't played around with the settings enough to find how to display it??)
- gas mileage isn't great, but hopefully it'll get better as the engine breaks in more just as it has for others on the forum
- doors dont lock when you reach 10mph. i dont have any kids (thank god) so i guess it doesn't matter much, but lots of other manufacturers have this, so i guess i'm just used to this feature.
- stereo: a little muddy on the low end, and you can't seek thru radio stations from the steering wheel -- can only go from preset to preset

things that I really don't like about the TSX:
NONE

overall, i'm really happy with the purchase so far. my dealer was fantastic, quoted me $500 over invoice right off the bat and even budged a bit more than that since we were right at the end of the month. very professional service and he was a straight shooter, none of the BS you have to deal with at some other dealerships. for you chicago people, i worked with angel rivera at arlington acura. if you need help, go to him, he'll treat you right.

the overall value of this car is pretty fantastic. so much is included in a base price, you dont get nailed with upgrades for everything under the sun. other car manufacturers really need to step it up and put out a solid car in the 25-30k pricepoint cause it seems that all the competition is in the sub-25 or 30+ pricepoints. for the selling price, you really can't ask for too much more in the TSX, it's a great value.

thanks to everyone who participates on the board....i've learned a lot here both prior to and following my purchase!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Life's a beach

I'm approaching 1000 miles and would echo pretty much everything you said.

Wish I could justify keeping XM past the trial. I, too, am a total music junkie and have already gotten hooked on several XM stations. Oh well....

I'm also thinking that I do see the timing of the CD track, somewhere on the audio screen. Isn't it there somewhere? Guess I'll have to get back in my car and check it out. The one thing about it that I DO wish was there was CD-Text capability so the artist and track names would be displayed.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:54 PM
6th Gear

Just passed 1000 miles myself...

I came from a 95 Integra GSR that I drove for over ten years and really like that car a lot. I actually did not sell it yet so I am able to compare it to the TSX as I get to know the TSX better.

So far I am appalled at the mileage I am getting. Last fill up just averaged over 21 mpg (100 % city driving for that tank). I know my Integra was a lot lighter, but I always averaged well over 30 mpg and did not expect the TSX to be THAT much worse. Hopefully the engine is breaking in and that will make a difference. We have a 2001 Toyota Highlander as well, and it is a 6 cyl SUV and it averages about 20 mpg!

I also really do not like how large the pillars are on each side of the windshield (to accomodate the side airbags I presume). For my seat position, it really feels like I have a major blind spot that is especially apparent when turning. The Integra just has a lot more forward visibility in my opinion.

I also hate the turning radius. It can make parking a pain compared to my Integra.

Finally, I unfortunately think the Integra Gear box was better. The throw from gear to gear seems shorter and it just feels to "pull" itself into the next gear as I shift. 1st to second especially on the TSX is not too smooth for me for some reason. Maybe the Integra is just broken in nicely after 10 years. I do plan to buy one have Dan's new shift knobs that might help the feel.

I really am trying to like this car and don't mean to sound like I am bashing it. I even spent 4.5 hours giving the first wash, clay, wash, polish, and finally wax job on it today. It is just that on some days I step into the garage and prefer to get into my old Integra to go to work.

I bought the car foolishly thinking it would be almost a 4-door Integra and should have done more research. Maybe as the gas mileage hopefully improves, and the Integra sentimental attatchment wanes, I will come around.

I maybe should have started an Integra to TSX thread to check others opnions, but thought since this is my first 1000 mile impressions that I would add to your thread.

Finally, I love the interior, the stereo, and the handling. On paper, I suppose the Integra is supposed to be quicker since it is so much lighter, but I really like the acceleration of the TSX too.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Winterwaves
I'm approaching 1000 miles and would echo pretty much everything you said.

Wish I could justify keeping XM past the trial. I, too, am a total music junkie and have already gotten hooked on several XM stations. Oh well....

I'm also thinking that I do see the timing of the CD track, somewhere on the audio screen. Isn't it there somewhere? Guess I'll have to get back in my car and check it out. The one thing about it that I DO wish was there was CD-Text capability so the artist and track names would be displayed.
Yes, you can see the track timing within the audio screen. The lack of support for CD-Text is a real shame, though.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
If you fast forward or rewind the CD, you'll see the track time.