1 yr/20K maintenance schedule at Honda OK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 yr/20K maintenance schedule at Honda OK?

Hi

Just wondering if and when you guys have your scheduled 1 year/20K maintenance, do you go to an Acura dealer?

I live quite 1 hour away from the nearest dealer.

I go to the Honda dealer in town for regular oil and filter changes etcetc. Would it be advisable to send my car for 1 year scheduled maintenance at Honda? Is there a downside?

I do baby my car, and I know its such a silly question, but any help would be great.

Thanks, Lisa

ACURA TSX w/Navi 2005
Meteor Silver Metallic
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Race Director

All I'm wondering is how do u get Honda to service your Acura TSX?

I tried doing that once at a Honda dealer and they wouldn't touch the TSX cause it's an Acura, not a Honda.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If they are willing to service your TSX then, by all means, go for it. The maintenace can be done by anyone, so long as its done. You can do it yourself, a private shop, a Honda service department (if they're willing), or an Acura service department. Regardless of who does it, keep the receipts so that, if servicing ever becomes a question (eg. warranty work), you can prove that it was done. If the reciept shows that Honda mechanics did it, so much the better.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
really? theres no acura dealer here at actually i service at honda no problem. the dealer even sells brand new acura if u special order it
Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Advanced

I had my 20K service/oil change done at a Honda dealer. My advice is to read your owners manual first so you know exactly what your car needs. Dont let the dealer try to sell you any unnecessary items.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx

I tried doing that once at a Honda dealer and they wouldn't touch the TSX cause it's an Acura, not a Honda.
The Honda service dept in town never made a stink. In fact, they went "wow!" when they saw the car -- which may be a good thing or not. The "bad" being that they might not know about the intricates of the acura car servicing.

I also have dealt with them with my previous Honda Civic; so they know me quite well. A relationship had been established.

I have also purchased acura floor all-season mats and paint from them. They will order them. In addition, they sell acura badges, and acura license protectors etcetc in their parts dept.

While I don't think that there should be a problem w oil/filter changes, my only issue/concern was if it was OK to send an Acura for the 20K maintenance to Honda, instead of Acura. It sounds like the it should not be a problem.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlukja
If they are willing to service your TSX then, by all means, go for it. The maintenace can be done by anyone, so long as its done. You can do it yourself, a private shop, a Honda service department (if they're willing), or an Acura service department. Regardless of who does it, keep the receipts so that, if servicing ever becomes a question (eg. warranty work), you can prove that it was done. If the reciept shows that Honda mechanics did it, so much the better.

Thank you!! I will send my car to them without hesitation! I keep all records/receipts, even from my previous Honda Civic (which reminds me that I should toss them since I have traded it in!!)

Cheers, people!

Lisa

Acura TSX 2005 w/Navi
Meteor Silver Metallic
Old 03-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced

!

Originally Posted by ssmtsx
I had my 20K service/oil change done at a Honda dealer. My advice is to read your owners manual first so you know exactly what your car needs. Dont let the dealer try to sell you any unnecessary items.

I will bring the list from the acurazine maintenance scheduling, as well as my acura manual to the Honda crew!! HOwszat for being thorough!!!!

Thank you folks!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Advanced

An update. Honda said that they would do the maintenance service for me since they have a similar package for their Honda cars.

The cost at Honda is $99. I called the nearest Acura dealer, and they quoted $119.95 for the maintenance service.

My car is already booked for next Saturday at Honda.

Just a short note. Bye!
Old 03-12-2006, 06:36 PM
ICG
British

I asked the same question last week to a local Honda dealer they said "Yep we can service your Acura but we can not do any warranty work". This is also a dealer I have used for a few years.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by ICG
I asked the same question last week to a local Honda dealer they said "Yep we can service your Acura but we can not do any warranty work". This is also a dealer I have used for a few years.
I agree that warranty work should be done at ACURA. I don't expect Honda to agree to warranty work.

Maintenance can be done at Honda (as clarified by the above experts).

Cheers and laters!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Instructor

I was in the same situation, the nearest Acura dealership being 45 minutes away and the nearest Honda dealership being across the street. They didnt mind at all. I've taken both an Acura RSX and TSX to my local Honda dealership before, they even had a spare fuel filter that fit my car.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Racer

has anyone try taking their TSX to Lexus or Mercedes dealer for service?? that, I would like to know...
Old 03-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ICG
I bought my TSX from an Acura dealer that has the same owner as a nearby Honda dealer. Both service departments will happily service either Acura or Honda - but both will refer you to your "brand" for warranty related work.

I found this out when I dropped of my Odyssey at the Acura dealer for service - They called me to say that they found the source of my problem but the Honda dealer would have to do the warranty work. They made my life easy by driving the car from one dealership to the other (I guess that's what happens when they are co-owned and, except as limited by American Honda, try their best to be "one business)
Old 03-17-2006, 07:01 PM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by greendestiny
has anyone try taking their TSX to Lexus or Mercedes dealer for service?? that, I would like to know...
If you use dollar bills in the place of floor mats, sure.

I've seen a guy bring in his Jag into a Hyundai dealership, heh..... I would guess it's cheaper
Old 03-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Another update!

The TSX got a 20K maintenance at the Honda service dept today.

Honda found a nail in one tire, and and split tire rubber damage on another. Otherwise, the TSX was A-OK!

I have no idea what I could have possibly done to get a 6 inch tire split damage. I am not particularly "reckless" and I do baby my baby. I'm told that it possibly could have happened if I ran over a deep pothole; which by the way is NEVER. I do go over shallow potholes on occasion at slower speeds.

I immediately went to Hansen Tires, and they repaired the tire with the nail in it. They put a loaner Bridgeport for the damaged tire.

I hope that Michelin would honor the warranty. The tire only saw 19400 miles so far. I will not know until next week.

As an aside, I was very pleased with HOnda service dept and Hansen Tires.

Another thing I learnt is that tire warranties don't need to go through ACURA dealership.

This also underscores the importance of regular maintenance!!! I would NOT have liked to be on a highway, with busted tire...or worse....

Sigh! (A good sigh at that)
Old 03-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Race Director

Katz are you located in Canada or the USA?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Katz are you located in Canada or the USA?
I am located in California. Are you thinking that hot summer, and cool winters causing problems to tires? I think they are more hardy than that.

It was so hot last summer, that I thought the tires would melt. (I got laughed at, of course... so stop snickering!!!) After all -- I did SEE Josef Beloki's bicycle tires slip on melted tar on Tour De France 2004, while he was chasing Lance Armstrong.

I'll be moving to Boston suburbs next year. I am a little concerned about winter driving in the TSX. Hence, i would probably get another vehicle for winter (thinking about RDX).

Lisa
Acura TSX 2005 w Nav
Meteor Silver Metallic
Old 03-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Katz
It was so hot last summer, that I thought the tires would melt. (I got laughed at, of course... so stop snickering!!!) After all -- I did SEE Josef Beloki's bicycle tires slip on melted tar on Tour De France 2004, while he was chasing Lance Armstrong.
Different situation to car tyres. Beloki was riding Tubular/Singles tyres which are glued to the rim (not held by a bead as are car tyres and normal bicycle tyres) whilst descending that mountain in high heat the braking reactivated the glue causing his tyre to roll of his rim. Hence the mess you witnessed after.