08 TSX MP3 CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried a MP3 CD with 80 songs in my 08 TSX cd-changer and it doesn't play. Ya the 08 brochure did say there are 2 ways to play MP3.. CD changer or using AUX jack. Perhaps I will write a letter to Acura to complain about it too..

-- william
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned

mp3 disc? ipod?? wat
Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Instructor

I think this thread is like the Energizer bunny

Just to clear this up 'again' the in dash CD player won't play MP3 CDs. The 'extra' one that fits in the slot right above the "Not an ashtray" does if you get it.

You can also get an aftermarket iPod dock either from Acura or other companies like Dice that plugs into that back of the stereo and displays your ipod tracks on the screen, lets you control from the steering wheel, etc.

Additionally, there is ALSO an 1/8" jack inside your center console waaaaay down in the bottom at the front, it's super hidden in there. You can plug anything you want in there, once something is plugged in, it enables "AUX" on your stock head unit by pressing "XM/CD/AUX" a few times. So you could also plug your iPod/Vuze/Discman/Walkman in there If you purchased your car from an Acura dealer and they didn't show you this during your 'after purchase tour' you should complain!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I can't find my garage

^^
THANK YOU...gosh, i was gettin sick of seeing this thread keep popping up
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 AM
2nd Gear

Do you guys think that the RDX's in dash 6-cd changer (also plays mp3s) would fit in to the TSX's dash slot ? (right above the "not an ashtray")
I have both 08 RDX and 08 TSX. The size are the same.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx4lyfe
Wait I Cant Play My Ipod In My Car?? I Have 08 Im Confused
Please read the preceding pages, not to mention that Owner's Manual that came with your car. All will become clear to the attentive reader.
Originally Posted by TheDukeZip
Additionally, there is ALSO an 1/8" jack inside your center console waaaaay down in the bottom at the front, it's super hidden in there. You can plug anything you want in there, once something is plugged in, it enables "AUX" on your stock head unit by pressing "XM/CD/AUX" a few times. So you could also plug your iPod/Vuze/Discman/Walkman in there If you purchased your car from an Acura dealer and they didn't show you this during your 'after purchase tour' you should complain!
It's detailed in the manual at least once, and the brochures. It's only "super hidden" if you've got lots of maxipads, flashlight, tire gauge, UTNE READER, and handiwipes in there.

I don't think this is a trivial issue. KidQwik has a valid point, the brochure promised something, and the car didn't deliver. How about if the brochure promised a 235hp engine, and he got 205hp? How about if it said "dual front/rear heater vents" (like the TL) and it doesn't? Is it "trivial?" I think not. He simply needs to take the right steps to contact the agent for service for Acura America and raise a complaint that sticks in their craw. Failing that, class action lawsuit, though costly and time consuming, might also remedy it. Acura might settle with, or be forced to pay, 2008 buyers with the equivalent cost of a "mp3-playing CD changer." IANAL, but things like this come up in the news all the time. I got $20 from Yahoo for an inaccurate wording on their "guarantee" for one service.

Yours,
David the Grump
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KidQwik
I tried the all the CDs I made and zero work. Garbage they shall go. We were so false advertised by Acura who tries to make their cars look all luxury like but the company itself is cheap as fuck.. Customer Care my ass.. I'll never recommend an Acura to anyone again after the way the regional manager did zero to get me what I thought I was supposed to get as per their own brochure which they still distribute and their own press release on Honda's site that says the car comes with with a 6 Disc CD Changer that plays MP3s. I should have stuck with getting a Mitsubishi Eclipse like I had orignally planned. It has a 6 Disc CD Changer that plays MP3s. Acura lost a customer with me. I'm so pissed tha I'll be stuck with this car for 3 yrs now. Sad thing is it's a nice car otherwise. It's just I'm so sick of the bullshit Customer Care department I'd rather have another car just for that reason. Oh. And my passenger side window seems to squeak on and off when I lower it and raise it. I think I read other people were having this problem too.... Grrr..
Sorry to bring this up again but it's important to me and i'm sure at least one other person

Why don't you just add the mp3 player, after-market?!?! It's a bit pricey at $562 OR you can always find a 1GB or 2GB mp3 player for the AUX port. You can prob do that for around $40 or less.

I have the '05 Special Edition Civic and it def plays mp3 discs. I have tons of them and I average about 80-90 songs per disc. My lease ends next month and I was planning to get an '08 TSX since I don't think it's worth it to wait for the '09s. It looks like I will also have to get the add-on mp3 player but you can be SURE that I will take a disc from my Civic and attempt to play it in the TSX to see what the dealer does when I show him my TSX full-color brochure that says the car plays mp3 IN the regular 6-disc changer, not with an add on. But to be honest, I was wondering why they even offered an add-on, if the normal player could actually play mp3s too.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Civic2TSX
Sorry to bring this up again but it's important to me and i'm sure at least one other person

Why don't you just add the mp3 player, after-market?!?! It's a bit pricey at $562 OR you can always find a 1GB or 2GB mp3 player for the AUX port. You can prob do that for around $40 or less.

I have the '05 Special Edition Civic and it def plays mp3 discs. I have tons of them and I average about 80-90 songs per disc. My lease ends next month and I was planning to get an '08 TSX since I don't think it's worth it to wait for the '09s. It looks like I will also have to get the add-on mp3 player but you can be SURE that I will take a disc from my Civic and attempt to play it in the TSX to see what the dealer does when I show him my TSX full-color brochure that says the car plays mp3 IN the regular 6-disc changer, not with an add on. But to be honest, I was wondering why they even offered an add-on, if the normal player could actually play mp3s too.
I was going to delete my ^^^ message but I just realized that everything I said has already been said in previous posts. I'm sorry for that. Mods can feel free to delete.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM

Frankly, in my '06 I like a PDA/phone/Inno player that sits in the little upper armrest tray, plugs into the mp3 AUX port in the lower storage, and keep the cubby hole in the console (which I use daily). My Inno holds something like 10-15 hours of music, my phone can hold 8 hours. Yes, I have up to three devices (not counting a companion's iPod, iTouch, Zune, whatever) to play music on. CDs are handy, but ... I don't burn CD-Rs much anymore. I burn CD-As of albums I only have the digital files for. Those DO play in my car.

HELL YEAH, bring that CD-R and try it with the brochure in hand. Keep the CD and brochure in hand during the price/deal negotiation. Got nothing to lose.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:43 AM
2nd Gear

Any One Have Any Idea What To Do When The Cd Player Does Not Want To Play Cd's And Starts Displaying An "error" Message??happen To Anyone??! This Is On An 05 Tsx
Old 03-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Advanced

what error message?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 AM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by ninishortcake
Any One Have Any Idea What To Do When The Cd Player Does Not Want To Play Cd's And Starts Displaying An "error" Message??happen To Anyone??! This Is On An 05 Tsx
probably a scratched cd
Old 03-15-2008, 04:18 AM
Banned

Some people seem to be pretending that screwing around with some mp3 player while driving, whos battery will quickly run out and require redocking in the house, is equivelent to mp3 CD in quality-of-life terms, it's not, it's not even close. I have a Zune, I choose not to drag it out to the car every god damned time I have to run a quick erand. mp3 cd playing cd player from my old Integra, I miss you. I love you.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:21 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
Some people seem to be pretending that screwing around with some mp3 player while driving, whos battery will quickly run out and require redocking in the house, is equivelent to mp3 CD in quality-of-life terms, it's not, it's not even close. I have a Zune, I choose not to drag it out to the car every god damned time I have to run a quick erand. mp3 cd playing cd player from my old Integra, I miss you. I love you.

You had an aftermarket deck in your integra right?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Banned

Ya, they've made aftermarket decks a little less practical and didn't have the common decency to replicate some of the better features of an aftermarket deck.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ninishortcake
New Question, Please Search In The Audio/video Section, I'm Sure It's Been Answered Before.
Some people seem to be pretending that screwing around with some mp3 player while driving, whos battery will quickly run out and require redocking in the house, is equivelent to mp3 CD in quality-of-life terms, it's not, it's not even close. I have a Zune, I choose not to drag it out to the car every god damned time I have to run a quick erand....
(tongue in cheek) Some people continue to bark and snark at those who have different perspectives then their own. Listen, I carry my phone with me for most any trip (lots of people do, YMMV), so having music on there that I can play is a no-brainer. LIkewise my Inno, I carry it to work to listen to, and it's with me when I'm driving home. I have a phone charger in my car anyway, and the Inno lasts several hours on a charge.

This is not a very complicated concept to grasp.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Civic2TSX
OK...so I go in to pick up my new ride and I remember about the mp3 issue. So I immediately ask the salesguy, can the car play mp3s. He of course says, "yes". But he was talking about thru the AUX port. So I question him on it, "are you sure". I could have sworn it says so in my brochure and if my old Honda can do it, surely the Acura can.

I get out my full color brochure and proceed to show him, his manager and the financial guy the paragraph where it states you can use "mp3 encoded disc IN the 6-disc changer" or thru the AUX port. They are all dumbfounded. They don't even think there is an OEM mp3 player. So I proceed to show them it in THEIR Accessories catalog. They tell me it will cost me $500. I tell them, there's no way that I should have to pay for that.

I honestly believe it was a typo in the full color brochure bc there is NO mention of mp3 cd capability in the Owners Manual at all. I decided that it wasn't worth it to get it AND I knew that the car wasn't going to play my mp3 cds bc of this site anyway. I was kinda hoping that maybe Acura had realized this error and changed it for later production of the 2008s, possibly. It was a longshot, I know.

It turns out, I can get a mp3 CD player installed for about $200 but I think I'll just use either my $40 1GB Sony mp3 player or my Blackberry Curve with a 2GB mini-SD to play my own music. Either will actually hold more than a disc and I'll have a lot less CD clutter in car, that's for sure.

Oh, I'm going to try one last CD however. I'm going to burn it at the very lowest speed and see what happens. I'll only report back if I'm successful.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

I hope you're not like that guy that expected a free mp3 deck becuase of a typo in a brochure. Sure they'll replace major car parts for free during a recall, but that's a decision that comes from the very top and a far cry from a typo. At best they'd give a discount on the mp3 deck but they won't even bother with that because the number of complaints is likely too small to warant it. Surprising still is that anyone would expect satisfction from a car dealer of all people, they are the biggest jerk offs on the planet. You don't see people standing infront of grocery stores with signs that say "I got fucked by these people."
Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Racer

I hope you're not like that guy that expected a free mp3 deck becuase of a typo in a brochure. Sure they'll replace major car parts for free during a recall, but that's a decision that comes from the very top and a far cry from a typo. At best they'd give a discount on the mp3 deck but they won't even bother with that because the number of complaints is likely too small to warant it. Surprising still is that anyone would expect satisfction from a car dealer of all people, they are the biggest jerk offs on the planet. You don't see people standing infront of grocery stores with signs that say "I got fucked by these people."
Nah, never really expected them to throw it in. But it would have been nice. I did want to see their reactions when they saw it in print. I'm totally prepared to use the AUX and the XM, which is new to me.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my experience. Yeah, salesman are asses. But I'm happy with what I am paying for the car and I was in and out in about 1 hour so it was pretty painless. If I had shut up about the mp3 thing, I prob would have been out in 40-45 minutes.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 AM

I hope you're not like that guy that expected a free mp3 deck becuase of a typo in a brochure. Sure they'll replace major car parts for free during a recall, but that's a decision that comes from the very top and a far cry from a typo. At best they'd give a discount on the mp3 deck but they won't even bother with that because the number of complaints is likely too small to warant it.
That was KidQwik or something, IIRC. The guy I kept telling, "Stop talking to the consumer complaint schmoe, talked to the agent for service. Or the BBB...." No word on his progress, which is no surprise. He was happily talking to the hand, last we heard.

I agree with you for once, it's not the dealers' fault. They're selling what Acura provides. They don't get to say, "woah, wait, it's missing that little feature mentioned clearly in the corporate brochures, we're gonna stop selling until Acura America fixes this." That'd be dumb. If anything, dealers should be quietly complaining to corporate that the slick promotional stuff misleads consumers about something, and the sales people at the end of the food chain get the grief from 1/1000 customers.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Be Yourself: Be Present

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So my second test with an MP3 CD (burned with nero onto a CDRW with ~100 songs) yielded the following results:

The unit recognizes the CD, says I'm on track 1 and starts playing. I can fast forward through track 1, but I can't go to any other track. It "thinks" it's playing, cuz the counter keeps incrementing...but no sound

I'm going to try some other variations of the MP3 CD. I burned a regular audio cd this morning and I only got 14 tracks...boourns to that!!