07 TSX Vs 08 Benz Class C 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:43 AM
ily
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 TSX Vs 08 Benz Class C 300

I was @ Mercedes Benz Dealership taking a peak at their new C300 which is basicaly their entry level sedan .

Well, let me tell you! I was really impressed with the redesigned sporty look of the C300, the interior design felt much more luxirous than my TSX with an excellent finish. Enginne delivers 228 hp and221 lb-ft . ) Vs TSX , 205 hp, 164 lb-ft

Moral of the story, ( Do not get me wrong, I love my Acura)However...I felt that I should have done some shopping around , reason being , Canadian price wise, the C300 w/ Navi Cost the same as my 07 TSX , Navi . Moreover, you get to drive more powrefull car, you get the really luxury feel w/ same tech features as TSX.

Acura has lot sof homework to do, I expect the 09/2010 TSX model to be as competitive as Bimmers, Audi and Mercedes.. cause now it seems that TSX is a little behind the curve!

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.?id=6795
Old 10-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I can't find my garage

i read somewhere in car & driver i think, where they reviewed the c class; and it was very disappointing to them, something related to performance...i forgot.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only disappointing thing is that it comes only in auto. It's a good car. Over here in Australia, the TSX costs US$36,900 while the C280 (with the same 228hp 3.0L engine) costs US$76,500. It's a lot of money, but the safety and luxury features were very impressive.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 AM
ily
Cruisin'

TO: aaronng

07 TSX Navi, 5AT cost 41 K in Canada ( Tax, Freight & Delivery In)
08 C 300, Navi cost 43.5 in Canada ( All In, see below)

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.?id=6539
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live....

In the US the C300 base MSRP is $31975 while the TSX is $28,190, and the Merc. still doesn't have many features the TSX has without adding option packages (it probably also has some features the TSX doesn't have in base trim).

Of course the Merc. is a brand new generation this year, while the TSX is on it's 5th model year. I'd hope the C300 would have something going for it.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
It's one thing to compare in the here-and-now, and another to review again is say 6-7 years. Now my crystal ball isn't more accurate than any one else's, but by reputation and current data I'd trust my TSX to be the better car (maintenenace and repair wise) 7+ years out. If you turn cars over every 5 years, that may not be important.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
the c class is a sexy car though
Old 10-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ily
... Moral of the story, ( Do not get me wrong, I love my Acura)However...I felt that I should have done some shopping around , reason being , Canadian price wise, the C300 w/ Navi Cost the same as my 07 TSX , Navi . Moreover, you get to drive more powreful car, you get the really luxury feel w/ same tech features as TSX.
But consider TCO (total cost of ownership) ... what kind of mileage does it get?[1] What kind of warranty is provided? How reliable is it, and how much do typical repairs (brakes, a/c, tune-up) cost?[2]

[1]Consumer Reports has started to provide "gas for a year" estimates in their reviews. It's a different way of looking at mileage comparatively.

[2]Reliability was a big factor in my car choice. I only considered cars with better than average or excellent reliability ratings, and that narrowed the field considerably.

P.S. Those URLs aren't working, what're you guys trying to link to?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Last week as usual, my whole family went out for dinner with our TSX. We parked beside the last gen W203 MB C240 and the car was idling and the driver was in the driver seat reading magazine with windows down(I hate people leave car idle for nothing). When I unloaded my kids from the back seat, my little one yelling "Dad, watch out, the next car is going to explode!".... since the engine from the MB was so loud and so unhealthy! The guy from the MB were so embarrassed(actually, I feel more embarrassed but have a smile on my heart :gapteeth and said "Your Acura is sound so quiet and smooth, is it brand new?"

Then I told him it is almost 4yr old with 72000km on it. That guy replied "Damn, mine is 05 with only 40000km!"

After we were in the restaurant, my wife said "Forget about the new C-class, I dun care how cheap it is & how good it looks(I did mention to her that a fully equipped C350 is 10k cheaper than a 335i and we are going to trade in our 328i for the 335i very soon), I dun want it! I rather have another TSX....". But before I want to mention how good deal it is to get the TSX now but then I may regret not wait for the 09 blah, blah, blah... She said "I still want a BMW, period..."
Old 10-14-2007, 01:13 PM

There's something about the Acura "image" that I like. There are those who look upon owners of Mercs and Bimmers with a certain disdain. The cars carry a sort of negative cacht. My ex used to say, "All Mercedes drivers drive like they own the road. Like their royalty." I think she painted BMW owners with the same brush. Your C240 driver illustrated that: just sitting there, windows down, reading, burning up gas as if oil prices were nothing to worry about.

I like my TSX being less recognizable.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

06 TSX vs. 08 C350

Sup guys,

Well, I'm going from a CGP/Ebony 06 TSX with Navi to a fully loaded Mars Red/Black C350. I will admit, I will be loosing some features by switching namely memory seats, voice controlled climate control, and the sunglasses holder (yea, I did that much of a comparison). However, I am gaining a hell of a lot! The TSX is a great car, but I want something a little more substantial feeling. This is the best way that I can describe it: the TSX is a sports car with luxury attributes while the C350 is the opposite and then some. Not to mention, the performance of the 3.5 with 268 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque while being mated to the best tranny I have ever encountered (7 speed) is so much fun to drive and throw around. Overall, the C is a lot more stylish than the TSX on the outside. I love the shape of the TSX, but have always been a little disappointed with the rear 1/4 panel and the back. To me, they did they great job on the nose and ran out of ideas for the back . They should have went the way of the TL for the back, IMO. As for the inside, the C is a little boring, but once the 7" screen that folds away into the dash is out, the interior is complete. Not to mention, the Harmon/Kardon 12 speaker DVD/Audio system is out of this world. Even if you never plan on buying a C, you must test drive one and try the system out. You will be sold in a heartbeat!

As far as TCO goes, MBs generally cost more. My parents and I have had quite a few over the years, and I have had a few Honda products over the years. Naturally, the Honda products are relatively cheap to maintain and usually don't even require dealer visits. With MB, dealer visits are imperative and therefore can be more costly.

At the end of the day, whichever car gets into you when you get into it is the car that is for you! For me, it is the C for now. I tried the 3 but the lack of rear space and the overall boring interior (IMO) took me away (even though the 335i is an amazing performer).

Here are some links that I made after the C-Drive event in Miami ... you can see the car in random models and random colors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpTGy8_idw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0Y6HE2QX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrhOatgZaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4wbbE9WMfQ

http://picasaweb.google.com/arlondbr...ey=-Y9lOkQaLNg
Old 10-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Driving a brand new Mercedes is perceived as being ostentatious to everybody I know; friends, coworkers, immediate and extended family. There's no way I'd want anyone to know I drove a Mercedes if I did. As it is now some of them are like "oooh, an Acura". The fact that the C300 is afforded by almost anyone makes it all the more pretentious. You're flaunting a status you don't realy have. It's as if you're scratching your way into a country club with a discount coupon. That "look at me I'm rich" image fits some loud Paris Hilton wanabe females who wear all the makeup and have a hopelessly vain personality, and you can forgive them because they're ubiquitous, but there is no male equivelent to that. You'd just be an ass.

Some people will say "it's just a car, who cares what people think?" Maybe if you're a loner and have no friends or family that's true, but you have a social life it will color how you're perceived in a dramatic way.

I've never noticed Mercedes drivers acting as if they own the road; that's purely the province of Jetta/GLI drivers.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by ily
TO: aaronng

07 TSX Navi, 5AT cost 41 K in Canada ( Tax, Freight & Delivery In)
08 C 300, Navi cost 43.5 in Canada ( All In, see below)

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.?id=6539
We in Australia get shafted on luxury car prices. For example:
BMW 325i - US$72,090
Lexus IS250 - US$57,950
Audi A4 2.0T - US$60,345
Old 10-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Theres no doubt the C Class is faster, has better transmission... but remember it is 4 years newer. It will have nothing on the new 2010 type s w. turbo awd performance wise. Where I am worried is luxury and style. The class sport is aggressive and beautiful. As Ive said before, lets throw in the 09 A4 and CTS- acura has a far way to go style wise from what Ive seen. The mdx grill will be onvthe new tsx, and I just cant imagine it will make the front end as beautiful and bold as the ones listed above. We cant compare the current tsx to the those cars either- well just have to wait and see.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 AM
ily
Cruisin'

We in Australia get shafted on luxury car prices. For example:
BMW 325i - US$72,090
Lexus IS250 - US$57,950
Audi A4 2.0T - US$60,345

The sad story here though is Our Canadian dollar is even stronger than the US grenback, worse Yet, the canadian car dealers are charging 20% to 25% more than the US price tags ( same cars, same specs) .....now that pisses me off!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:15 AM

I had to give up on the Mercedes web site linked to earlier, as it was so slow to download (on a 3.5Mbyte connection) and so clunky, and hard to navigate. I hope they build their cars better than they do their web site. :P
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree that the new C-Class looks much better.

BUT...do not forget that in recent years, almost all German cars have been miserable in terms of reliability. My wife's parents have owned Mercedes cars for decades, and I have driven some of them. They are very nice and feel substantial on the road, but they are always on the shop being repaired; especially the newer ones -- if you can believe it. The two year-old SUV is breaking down constantly, as is the four year-old E-Class. (The old 1984 S class convertible they have is reliable, as is an early 90's coupe.)

If you think I'm alone in my experience, check Consumer Reports...most Germans cars, (except some BMWs) are covered with those little black dots of death.Stay away from Mercedes, Audis, & VW's.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Love my tsx.. But damn that c 63 is a Very sexy fast car.One of those cars that looks good stock.6.3 V8 under the hood. Should eat up the new m3.. what you guys think look.....

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2007...-amg-unveiled/
Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
It's one thing to compare in the here-and-now, and another to review again is say 6-7 years. Now my crystal ball isn't more accurate than any one else's, but by reputation and current data I'd trust my TSX to be the better car (maintenenace and repair wise) 7+ years out. If you turn cars over every 5 years, that may not be important.
This is an important point. My wife and I drove Audi's for many years, but we moved and now her commute is 700 miles a week and mine is 300. Audi makes a beautiful automobile, but as much as we both enjoyed them, like all German cars in my opinion, they're "warranty" cars. We never kept one beyond the warranty expiration, so between the low (relative) miles and the free regular maintenance (since discontinued) they were, for the most part, trouble free. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have stayed that way if we kept one (or more) past 50K miles. We drive TSX's now and I'm confident that we will be able to drive them the planned 75K-90K miles (before replacement) with nothing but regularly scheduled service. Based on my own experience, and that of many others, I don't think that would be the case if we were still driving Audi's or BMW's or Benzes). .
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Simba91102
We drive TSX's .
You have two of 'em? That's hardcore.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by davidspalding
There's something about the Acura "image" that I like. There are those who look upon owners of Mercs and Bimmers with a certain disdain. The cars carry a sort of negative cacht. My ex used to say, "All Mercedes drivers drive like they own the road. Like their royalty." I think she painted BMW owners with the same brush. Your C240 driver illustrated that: just sitting there, windows down, reading, burning up gas as if oil prices were nothing to worry about.

I like my TSX being less recognizable.
Actually, I do as well. When I brought my TSX home for the first time it was in the garage with the door open. I was across the street with a neighbor and he saw it and said, "That's not a BMW is it" with enough distain in his voice to make it more of an admonishment than a question.

I don't like generalizations as a general rule, but there is an undeniable stigma/image that goes with driving a Mercedes or BMW, like it or not. In spite of being rather fond of both, I don't know that I care for that unavoidable association with myself and that stigma/image. The day I go "upscale", it would be to an RL if anything.

The Acura suits me just fine. It's like a Honda, just "one louder".

Sorry, sorry, sorry.....
Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

That would have been awkward if it were a BMW.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 PM

^^ I thought so too, but I know the guy very well so I considered it more of a lead-in to what would be a lot of German vs. American trash talk. I actually don't think it's too pretentious to drive a 3-series. I think Mercedes got the short-end of the stick with it's brief relationship with Chrystler - seems like the quality dropped off after the merger (or whatever it was).
Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Audi Driving Snob

My take: the TSX has been around almost unchanged since April 2003. The C class was just redesigned. Back then the TSX out performed and out valued the base c-class which was the c230 at the time.

When the new TSX comes out next year I would put my money on it once again being the performance and value leader.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

If the '09 TSX doesn't have door hinges designed to support the weight of four overweight men you'll be eating crow.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

Well to each his own. As I stated, I love my TSX, but have had it for a year and it's time to say goodbye (I LOVE cars and intend to own as many as possible throughout my lifetime). I sure will miss her, though. I doubt i'll have the 08 C past its warranty period. I have an 07 C230 at home and so far, so good. Not to mention, I lost the US warranty when I shipped it overseas. *Fingers Crossed!*
Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Actually, I do as well. When I brought my TSX home for the first time it was in the garage with the door open. I was across the street with a neighbor and he saw it and said, "That's not a BMW is it" with enough distain in his voice to make it more of an admonishment than a question.

I don't like generalizations as a general rule, but there is an undeniable stigma/image that goes with driving a Mercedes or BMW, like it or not. In spite of being rather fond of both, I don't know that I care for that unavoidable association with myself and that stigma/image. The day I go "upscale", it would be to an RL if anything.
I think it's also ubiquity within a certain class or social group. When all the upscale young exec types flock to a certain car, it becomes an emblem, and a stigma. Like ... Bill Lumbergh and his Porsche. Yeeeaaaaaah, I'm going to have to go ahead and ogle my hot ride for 20 seconds before slithering into my corner window office. It doesn't help with some automakers further reinforce it with advertainment which overtly says, "you've arrived -- isn't it time you drove a [insert car brand here]?" I think Mercedes and BMW really tout that TOO dang much, hence the widespread recognition.

I've seen this with enough types of cars, and any number of social/ethnic groups, to realize it's all a big joke. But then, most prejudices are. Zieg heil and arrivaderci, oh my brothers (and sisters). I hear "I want a BMW," and I have to snicker.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Instructor

My dad had a 2002 Mercedes S500 and now he has a 2007 S550. Because I work for him, he would hand me his credit card and make me take his S500 to the dealership for routine service. After the 40,000 mile free service window expired, the maintenance expense was insane.

I don't know if this is true for the C-class, but for the S-Class, you don't just get a basic oil change, air filter, tire rotation etecetra and call it a day. They have a long checklist for what is required at each routine service interval. This includes running diagnostics and performing maintenance on the S-classes complicated mechanical and electrical systems. The cheapest service would cost more than $300. Some service intervals would require spark-plugs ($2,500+), brake service/replacement ($1,500+) transmission service ($2,000+).

If you follow the service by the book and fork over the cash, the S-class will run like a dream for a long time. The only serious problem he ever had with his S500 is the AIRMATIC air suspension failed and cost $1,500 to fix.

My final conclusion regarding Mercedes is that you don't have to be too terribly wealthy to own one, but you have to be pretty damn rich to maintain one after the 5-year/40,000 mile mark. I swore off owning a German car after taking care of my dad's car for him. I can only assume the C-class is cheaper to maintain though. I'll stick with the minimalistic Honda/Acura design philosophy because I know from experience that it's not expensive to keep one running for 100,000+ miles.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidspalding
[/i] It doesn't help with some automakers further reinforce it with advertainment which overtly says, "you've arrived -- isn't it time you drove a [insert car brand here]?"
I don't see that in the commercials, but you had it right with the movie reference, I think that's where the stigma comes from. Now whenever you see a Porsche a part of you will think a Lumbergh is driving it.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Hey...awkward timing. I was just in my dad's office and saw a Mercedes service invoice on his desk for a little over $200. Apparently he just had his new S550 serviced for the first time and they don't do free maintenance any more. That sucks...he jokingly said he wants a BMW now because they still do free maintenance.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
You have two of 'em? That's hardcore.
We got the 05 for her in April of 05, just when she was starting the longer commute (traded an 02 S4 Avant which was a great car, but the warranty expiration was approaching (on mileage) and the gas mileage wasn't great either) and she drove that for 2 years and about 52K miles. Long story short, we looked at a few other cars (Volvo V40, VW GTI among others) and between value (equipment for the money) and mileage (she regularly averages 30+ for her 140 mile a day commute @ 75-80 mph), we just couldn't find anything to compete (this is the east coast, and in my opinion, if you drive everyday, 12 months a year, all wheel drive or at least front wheel drive is a must unless you're willing to let the weather dictate when you have to stay home. Rear wheel drive cars didn't qualify). We hated to give up the all wheel drive (actually I drove a WRX until last spring), but the price of gas just didn't allow it. I'm driving the 05 now and she's got the 07 (6 months and 14K miles so far).
Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned

Wow, all those cars and you arived at dueling TSX's, that says something. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Advanced

The merger with Chrystler was not the beging of Mercedez quality problems it started years before that . Chrystler and Mercedez kept there distance for the most part . Just coming back from Germany after about 6 years there, I can tell you its the German worker and the problems they are having over labor .
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by Roffles
The cheapest service would cost more than $300. Some service intervals would require spark-plugs ($2,500+), brake service/replacement ($1,500+) transmission service ($2,000+).
Ouch. That's one thing good about Acuras. You can also DIY your services. Spark plugs, $60, brake pads $150 and transmission fluid $16. LOL
Old 10-16-2007, 08:06 AM
2006 ASM tsx

hmm my friends bought there cars a few months before i got my tsx in december of 06....
#1 got a 01 bmw 330ci... all he had on me was a navi.. then i got mine and he cried and now he can just beat me in racing.. (until i get hondata of course.. lol)
#2 got a mb compressor 230? or whatever the 4door champagne one... 0 of my friends like the color on it... he claims its silver.. LOL. its more like a conglomerate gold.. has all the sparkles in it? the more solid gold looks better imo... he road in my car once.. and claimed that everything that was in my 06 tsx.. was supposed to be in his... bluetooth. and some other features..

personally tho. i love my tsx. we've had hondas forever... my 89civic si ran on its original motor for 200k miles... when i first got it for ($400) brought that sucker in for inspection. and i barely failed... (all the sparkplugs were filled with oil =X) fixed that.. man the original engine passed with FLYING colors.. lol. hondas are great for the price we pay.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Get the benz

I just left my 04 TSX and it was a great car, but a benz is a benz and though people may argue not many cars and touch the name and luxury. Plus the new design is sexy!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

I have been invited to a new C Class test run tomorrow afternoon. The dealership is setting up a cone course to show off the acceleration and handling of the new C Class.

Looking forward to seeing how the vehicle handles, I am expecting to trade my TSX for a new C Class shortly.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
I agree that the new C-Class looks much better.

BUT...do not forget that in recent years, almost all German cars have been miserable in terms of reliability. My wife's parents have owned Mercedes cars for decades, and I have driven some of them. They are very nice and feel substantial on the road, but they are always on the shop being repaired; especially the newer ones -- if you can believe it. The two year-old SUV is breaking down constantly, as is the four year-old E-Class. (The old 1984 S class convertible they have is reliable, as is an early 90's coupe.)

If you think I'm alone in my experience, check Consumer Reports...most Germans cars, (except some BMWs) are covered with those little black dots of death.Stay away from Mercedes, Audis, & VW's.
I thought of this post as I drove by a well-dressed middle-aged man who was talking on his cell phone beside his broken-down 7-series this afternoon. Hood and trunk were popped wide open and I could barely make out a trail of fluid behind the car as I flew by in my Integra.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM

at the black dots of doom in CR. When I was shopping this summer, many cars that I thought looked tempting and a good purchase, were nixed by those.

at the highway breakdown. For an "ultimate driving machine" and "ultimate luxury car" (two words: "Mercedes leather"), I see a lot of older fat cats swerving on the road, slowing down, almost running into slower traffic while chitchatting and gesticulating on their cell phones. A gross cariacturization and extreme generalization, I know, but I see this every single friggin morning on the commute. I don't want to be caught in a car that so many ass-clowns are tooling around in. I presume (hope) it's different in your locales.... It's like Range Rovers. I have never seen a dirty, muddy Range Rover outside of California.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
ily
Cruisin'

So .. I was itching to see and get a feel of the new re-designed 300 C Calss..
I phoned Calgary's Benz Dealership to arange a test drive.... and get this, they told me they will receive the first production shipment sometime in March 08!!!

Sounds like Benz factory in Germany is on backorder & can not keep up with the high demand, so they are shipping limited quantities based on customers order.

I'm like is this a joke??? Class C is still considered to be Benz's entry level sedan ... IMO, 6 months waiting time is just not acceptebale !!!

Quick Reply: 07 TSX Vs 08 Benz Class C 300