06 fog light mesh "grille" DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
might not be easily bendable enough...
Why does it need to be bendable? I re-read the directions and didn't see the need to bend this material during installation. I'm questioning you, but rather just trying to understand.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STL
Why does it need to be bendable? I re-read the directions and didn't see the need to bend this material during installation. I'm questioning you, but rather just trying to understand.
well, in my case, i had to kind of wedge it in between the glass and the front bumper from the bottom. the lexan needed a slight bend to it to make it around the "corner" or bottom edge of the glass housing. i hope this makes a little more sense.

if you were to take the front bumper off, you could completely unscrew the foglight housing and stick your thicker lexan in there and it would probably work just fine. i was able to get mine in there though by just removing the front grille and reaching down and unscrewing the correct screw
Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STL
For those of you that have done this, do you think 3/32" lexan would work too -- or is that too thick? That's all I can seem to find locally.
Well, for the record the thicker stuff from Home Depot worked fine -- and it's only like $3. I did loosen the screws on both sides of the foglight to get the lexan in place (then retightened them). Be aware the passenger side is easier to do because on the driver's side the airbox makes getting to one of the screws a bit harder. I did all the work with the bumper in place, but removing (or rather just loosening and pushing back) the black undercarriage plastic underneath the car. You'll need a stubby philips screwdriver to loosen the foglight screws -- and you have to do it by all by feel (but it wasn't really too hard).
Old 01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jswim99
Since both my fogs cracked within a month of purchasing the TSX, I recently decided I'd better apply this mod before the housings were completely destroyed. I liked this foglight mod, but I was a little worried about the loss of light output. Using the same idea, I bought some 1/16" Lexan sheet and cut it into rectangles (pics below).

I was able to pull the undercarriage plastic down enough to get under there and see what was going on; but I actually found that my arm was skinny enough to insert through the venting behind the license plate. I found the "brass" screws (mine weren't brass), which, to clarify from the above images, are inserted along the length of the car, not from the sides. In the same way as ruffell I was able to slide the Lexan sheets between the bulb housing and bumper, although I had to use a pair of scissors to round the edges of the sheets first.

I did a little research before buying the Lexan--it supposedly can handle temperatures up to 240F, which in my estimation should work. Does anybody know how hot the bulbs actually get? Hot enough to boil water? Also, the plastic doesn't touch the surface of the bulb as much as a Rockblocker film does, so hopefully these won't get burned up. If so, I can always replace very easily ($10 of Lexan will get you about 10 bulb covers), and now that I know where everything is, I could probably do it without removing the undercarriage covers.

Sorry the pics are kinda crummy...basically you can't tell the Lexan is even there (the lines are my cracked bulbs underneath the Lexan). I'll post an update if the plastic starts to burn up.

Thanks to ruffell for the idea/instructions!

What size did you cut the Lexan to? I'm going to do this during the weekend and it would be great to have the Lexan pre-cut before I go out there to work on my car.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Racer

I pretty much eyeballed it. Trace the lamp outline onto paper, add a quarter inch offset, and trim if necessary. You can cut the lexan with scissors if you get it thin enough.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Advanced

I have been eyeing this for months now...I have an 05 TSX with cracked lenses....I however, don't have the neat little hole in the bumper to support the lexan....at least I dont think....any suggestions on working around this? as the fog lights are exposed in the assemblies.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Instructor

has anyone successfully installed and replaced their cracked lens on an 05 with this lexan stuff? i need to replace my driver side lens it cracked two days ago and its got a lil water in it.