On the 05 AT, can you relate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 04:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the 05 AT, can you relate?

When driving in auto mode (not sportshift), the transmission is not always butter smooth. Especially when attempting an acceleration from a speed of 40mph+, sometimes there is a slight hesitation before the shift (at about 3000 rpm), followed by a sudden burst of rpms and speed. The result is a slight whiplash effect rather than a smooth predictable acceleration. I've seen the same result with the VSA on and off.

Has anyone else experienced this or is my car screwed up? (it is used, only about 5k miles on it, under certified warranty). Any advice?
Old 05-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is pretty much standard behavior for the fully auto mode. If you're driving along at 40mph, AT is going to have you in final gear (5th). If you mash the pedal, first nothing will happen (predictably) as you WOT high gear on your little 4cyl engine. Then the box will shift for you down to 4th, but if you're feeling that big 'whiplash' effect, then its probably sent you into 3rd to actually deliver some torque and accelleration.

The transition from that won't be smooth. This is about one of the worst examples of an AT quite honestly. Since you've had the car only a little while, you'll likely learn how to feather the gas appropriatly soon enough to get a smoother driving experience, or for best performance (or when you really need to accellerate) pull that stick over into SS mode and downshift yourself.

VSA has nothing to do with this. Its traction control, wheel spin control, etc. Not accelleration.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Reach
This is pretty much standard behavior for the fully auto mode. If you're driving along at 40mph, AT is going to have you in final gear (5th). If you mash the pedal, first nothing will happen (predictably) as you WOT high gear on your little 4cyl engine. Then the box will shift for you down to 4th, but if you're feeling that big 'whiplash' effect, then its probably sent you into 3rd to actually deliver some torque and accelleration.

The transition from that won't be smooth. This is about one of the worst examples of an AT quite honestly. Since you've had the car only a little while, you'll likely learn how to feather the gas appropriatly soon enough to get a smoother driving experience, or for best performance (or when you really need to accellerate) pull that stick over into SS mode and downshift yourself.

VSA has nothing to do with this. Its traction control, wheel spin control, etc. Not accelleration.

Well said. I agree.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:16 PM
9th Gear

Thanks Reach, I think you've pinned it. What percent of the time do you use sportshift rather than full auto? Also, my gas pedal feels a little soft for my taste. Is that something that can be adjusted? I seem to remember the 06 having a more rigid feel which I liked. What do you think?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by guj125
Thanks Reach, I think you've pinned it. What percent of the time do you use sportshift rather than full auto? Also, my gas pedal feels a little soft for my taste. Is that something that can be adjusted? I seem to remember the 06 having a more rigid feel which I liked. What do you think?

Just give it time. Soon it'll be your new standard.