'04 never been waxed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forget the exact name, but what do you guys think about Acura's protective coat they do at the dealership for $500 or so? I was told by the salesman that you would never have to wax and a simple wash would leave the car shining. I was told by a detailer that you shouldn't have to wax for 4-5 years after getting this done.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Have camera, will travel

^^It's bunk dude. Keep your money and run the other way. Invest in a good clay, polish and wax setup.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
While we're on the subject, I always wondered how the paint cleaner - polish - then polymer/wax process went.

If I were to buy a porter cable, would I use it to apply each of the above? (to get out some swirls as well).

If I were to do it by hand, what would I use to apply it? I saw some Megs foam pads at walmart for $2. Would I apply with that and "buff" off with a MF towel?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SLeek GT
I forget the exact name, but what do you guys think about Acura's protective coat they do at the dealership for $500 or so? I was told by the salesman that you would never have to wax and a simple wash would leave the car shining. I was told by a detailer that you shouldn't have to wax for 4-5 years after getting this done.
Thats all bullshit to get your money.

Go 4-5 yrs without waxing a car and the paint will be junk. You should just put a coat of carnuba on a new car a soon as you can.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by studville
While we're on the subject, I always wondered how the paint cleaner - polish - then polymer/wax process went.

If I were to buy a porter cable, would I use it to apply each of the above? (to get out some swirls as well).

If I were to do it by hand, what would I use to apply it? I saw some Megs foam pads at walmart for $2. Would I apply with that and "buff" off with a MF towel?
Look in the Wash & Wax forum. There are about 6 billion items of useful information in there.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Advanced

wax that shiet.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SLeek GT
It's Acura's Touch of Class package (Resist All, I think it's called). I actually had it done to my car. It's only another 10 bucks per month on my payment, so I said what the hell. I don't know if it can take the place of a good wax treatment. However, I don't regret having it done. Water always beads up on my car no matter how long it's been between washing or waxing (gave my car a not-so-great wax 3 months ago). The clear coat is protected from acid rain, bird droppings, tar, etc. Anything that gets on the car comes off with a little water and car wash. In addition, the interior is also protected from spills and the leather gets a little UV protection which helps protect against fading. Anything that gets spilled on the carpets will bead up and come off with a wipe of a towel or napking, so spilt coffee or soda will never stain the carpeting. What sold me on it is that if by some chance tar or something else sticks to the paint even after washing, the dealer will take care of it for free for 5 years.

I still plan to wax the car a few times per year because it gives it extra protection, and it makes the car shine. However, it's nice to know that during these crappy New England winters when I don't get a chance to wax or wash my car, the clear coat still has some form of protection.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ read the fine print on the package first. Some of them void the cover once you wax the car.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Advanced

I don't think that's the case, but I'll have to check on that. I asked the business manager at the dealership when I decided to get it done on how it related to waxing your car, and he told me you could wax it if you wanted, but it's not necessary. Even if it does void your warranty, I'd love to see them prove that I waxed my car.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Advanced

This is my first entry to this thread, but I am excited to see this kind of stuff discussed! I am a maniac about keeping my car perfectly clean, so if you see a person washing his car during a rain storm, that would likely be me. Maybe it is OCD, but I can't stand a dirty car.

On a side note, I am expecting the delivery of my new baby, a 2007 Z06 Twin Turbo built by Lingenfelter. I had another one that was destroyed last year when a 150ft tall tree fell on my garage and crushed the car flat. Insurance paid for it, but this one I went all out. I have spent more than $85,000 in the motor alone on top of a brand new Z06. It was tested yesterday with two settings, everyday 754 hp and 811 ft/lbs tq, and a race setting 1,153 hp and 1,243 ft/lbs tq!!!!!!! These are at the wheel ratings so the car will be a beast, thus its name. Yes I can't wait for it to arrive, because one of my friends has a Hennessey Viper with more than 1,400 hp. I am tired of hearing about it and he needs a reality check.

How is this relevent? This car has carbon and glass in the body panels, so what would be the best cocktail of waxes and the like to keep the beast looking great?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:17 PM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by 2004 TL

How is this relevent? This car has carbon and glass in the body panels, so what would be the best cocktail of waxes and the like to keep the beast looking great?
Seriously, how is it relevent? It has nothing to do with TSX, obviously.

Try the right forum via the following link --