03 TL vs 05 TSX 6MT + Navi

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
03 TL vs 05 TSX 6MT + Navi

Hey guys I'm in the market for a newer vehicle right now. I'm a very active member in the 2G TL forum. I currently drive an 03 TLP NBP with 280K on the clock. It's been a great car. So smooth and quiet. I've had her 4 years now and honestly I couldn't have asked for more. I'm looking for input especially from people who have made this transition already but from the rest of you as well. I'm just wondering what the difference is between these 2 cars. Driving dynamics, ride quality, gas mileage, reliability, etc. I've done some research and I'm a big time car guy so I know the basic differences but I've never gotten to drive one so I'm looking more from a drivers perspective. Obviously there's a difference switching form the J32a1 to a K series motor but I really want to make sure if I got this car that it would feel at least similar in quietness and soft ride quality. I don't mind it being a little harder but I don't want to feel every single bump in the road. Anyway, just tell me what you think and any advice. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In a nutshell, you're going to get less power, a better transmission, better gas mileage (averaging 29-30 mpg in my 6MT), and slightly newer tech.
The TL is most definitely going to ride smoother. I'm on A-spec suspension with a progress sway bar so I'm slightly firmer than stock which I like. You'll have to test drive one to see if it's to your liking.

Also, get a 06+ if you can. It brings with it a few minor updates and the kinks ironed out. My 06 has been pretty much been gas, oil and tires. Still on original brakes and battery at 100k.

Last edited by psteng19; 01-25-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Just switched from an '02 TL-S to an '09 TSX 6 speed. ( yeah, I know I'm on the 1st gen forum )

Took me a couple weeks to wrap my head around the change, especially the power on tap but I'm thoroughly enjoying the TSX now.

My TSX rides solidly, not harshly, but yes, I feel the odd bump. Winter tires on now which are a bit softer than the all seasons will be. So far it has handled nicely in moderate snow and slush.

The car is quick and is a blast to rev high and zip around in. Great gearbox, supa smooth. I find it more agile and it handles better. Cornering way better.

Very intuitive cockpit, and smooth and comfortable on the highway. Great seats.

Reliability unknown since I'm still a short term owner, but appears to be very good overall.

Gas mileage better when driven sensibly, about 7.7 litres per 100 kms on the highway so far.

And the most exciting of all...a USB port !!!

It's a big change from the TL, but I'm happy at this point !

Good luck....
Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Finding a 6MT TSX is one rare beast compared to the 5AT model. You going to have to keep your eyes open, have $$ on hand, and be willing to travel to pick one up. I've had my 06 TSX (a-spec suspension+progress RSB) since new and its been gas, brakes, tires, windshield wipers, battery (not batteries), and routine maint. There are some improvements with the 06-08 models that might make it a better choice IF you like that body style over the 05 model.
- bluetooth for phone
- memory seat for driver
- M.I.D. maint reminder
- better trip computer in M.I.D.
- more HP, about 12-15hp more than a 04-05 model
- standard fog lights
- thicker steering wheel with grip bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock
- updated OEM rims
- +05 models have XM radio
- +05 have AUX connector in arm rest
- updated grill and no metal trim on hood
- updated Navi with DVD disks still available for a few more years (I think they are going to stop making the 04-05 Navi disk this year)

You can always add a supercharger to the TSX 6MT if you want so extra HP for $4500+labor. A 07-08 TL Type-S might also be a good choice if don't want to give up too much HP and you are fine with the handling dynamics of you 03 TL. (front heavy compared to balance in the TSX).
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wrayman
Just switched from an '02 TL-S to an '09 TSX 6 speed. ( yeah, I know I'm on the 1st gen forum )

Took me a couple weeks to wrap my head around the change, especially the power on tap but I'm thoroughly enjoying the TSX now.

My TSX rides solidly, not harshly, but yes, I feel the odd bump. Winter tires on now which are a bit softer than the all seasons will be. So far it has handled nicely in moderate snow and slush.

The car is quick and is a blast to rev high and zip around in. Great gearbox, supa smooth. I find it more agile and it handles better. Cornering way better.

Very intuitive cockpit, and smooth and comfortable on the highway. Great seats.

Reliability unknown since I'm still a short term owner, but appears to be very good overall.

Gas mileage better when driven sensibly, about 7.7 litres per 100 kms on the highway so far.

And the most exciting of all...a USB port !!!

It's a big change from the TL, but I'm happy at this point !

Good luck....
I think this comparison is less to the point since the OP should be aware that the 2nd gen TSX (09-014) is a very different car than the 1st gen (04-08). So much so, that I'm of the opinion that they should have renamed the later car (I have both). Due to their age, a good first generation car will now be much harder to find, but well worth the hunt. They're a much better driver's car.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
good points Simba91102, especially given that you have tried both generations.

My general point was addressed to the OP's possible change from his TL to a TSX. Having just done this myself, I wanted to convey my growing enthusiasm for the TSX. It IS a big change from the TL. Likely regardless of TSX model year.

Cool cars, I must try and hitch a ride in a 1st Gen sometime...compare the two.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I say go with the MT 1st gen TSX.

Won't have to deal with the 2G transmission issues. Plus the 6spd is a rare find. There's a couple in Cali right now.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the tsx. I was a little disappointed in the gas mileage expecting a little more since I was upgrading to a k from my 96 accord. As for the ride, it is smooth but since it is more of a "sporty" car, you'll feel some of the road's imperfections. I would recommend test driving a 06/07 Accord. It has the same engine, about the same gas mileage and the ride is a little bit smoother...we have yet to have any problems with my wife's 06.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:51 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tsx ftw!