01 TL to 08 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 TL to 08 TSX

First of all, thanks to all the information I read on Acurazine. I registered on this site when I had my 01 TL-P. I have recently been contemplating trading it in on a new TSX. Well, after reading and asking questions here, I did it.
I purchased an 08 PWP on Black TXS non-navi. I got a couple of small dealer add-ons such as tint, mud guards and a pin-stripe. My wife saw the pin stripe on a TL-S in the showroom and wanted it on our TSX. In my opinion it really looks sharp.

I never saw a real comparison of a 2nd Gen TL vs. a TSX so I'd like to add my comments.

Interior
The TSX is smaller, yet it is a sportier car. I miss the Bose stereo of the TL, but as long as your listening to CD's in the TSX, the stereo is fine. The FM and XM radio clarity leaves alot to be desired, but I can deal with it. I went with the black interior, I had the parchment in the TL. I must say that black is the way to go for the interior. It looks sporty and sexy all at the same time. My wife wanted the parchment, but I won. It is quickly growing on her, and looks especially nice with the tinted windows. There isn't as much room in the back seat, but there is enough. With 4 grown adults, it will be snug. There is plenty of room, but not as much as the TL.
The Bluetooth is great, there are so many toys and programable parts to the car, I haven't had a chance to sit down and figure them all out. It is a great combination of luxury and a little sportiness. Don't think it's fast, because it isn't, but it's definitly fast enough.

Motor/Engine
This is what suprised me. I test drove a TSX and a 3G TL about six months ago and told myself I would never get a TSX. When I realized I could get an 08 TSX for the same price as a Certified used 05 TL, I thought again. When you look at the reliability, gas mileage, re-sale value and the fact that you have a new car, I was easily able to convince myself the TSX was the way to go...if it had enough power.
As everyone says, the transmission is like butter. What suprised me was the amount of power at any RPM. From 70 to 85 you don't have to leave 5th gear. Unless you really punch it it can climb up to 85 without a problem. There isn't power to throw you back in your seat, but there is plenty of power to have fun. This is the part of the car that I am enjoying more and more.
As for road noise and cabin noise. The TL had less. The TSX has considerably more when accelerating, but while cruising, the TSX doesn't have too much more. The new TL has much less, but you pay for it.

Handling
The TSX handles much better. It has a stiffer suspension and you can have fun in the turns, but you feel it more on the not-so-great roads. I am also impressed with this. I didn't realize this car handles that well.

Overall
I couldn't be more pleased. I like the TL-P, never had any problems with it. I had an RSX before that. This is a great combination of the two. For all you who like the new Accords, and currently have a 2nd Gen TL-P, consider the TSX. The new Accord may have more power, but it doesn't have all the luxury items the TSX has. They cost the same, $27K. Get a great car that not everyone has.

What a car!!!

Hopefully posting the pictures works. If not, I appoligize.

Let me know what you think of the pin-stripe. It's not much, but I think it looks nice.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats. Nice review.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

The pin stripe looks real nice. It's always funny when people say the TSX is "snug" or "too small for a family car" as if to forget that Civics are very popular, the most popular car in Canada, and hauling families all live long, not to mention Smart Cars, Pintos, Justies, Mini Coopers, etc.

I also have to take issue with that common butter shifting reference; it clunks for me, quite distictly. Butter is not clunky.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait is it auto or manual..
if u got pwp with black and its 6speed.
man you go what i wanted!!!!!!! lol. and in tx.. i searched all over dfw but i could only find pwp on black autos..

congrats!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Racer

Nope, I didn't get your dream car, it's an auto. I would love a manual like my RSX, but the wifey can't drive stick and I don't have the patience to teach her.
I got mine at Gunn in San Antonio. All in all it was about $29K OTD including tint, guards, gap insurance, and pin stripe.

Definitly go with the black interior, wait or order it if you have to.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Racer

great write up and i'm glad to hear you like the TSX.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:27 PM
08 MDX with Sports

You got the 5spd auto? What power? **duck hhehe :p

I like your tints and from the 2 pictures can't really comment on the pin-stripes.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear

Pleased to read tftimm's excellent summary of his 08 TSX, since I just bought one today, over the internet. Bought a black, 6spd, ebony interior, with the full body kit, and the A-Spec sports suspension system. Probably will not take possession until next Monday as they have to drive it in from another state.

My wife and I are going to take it to Florida for a couple of weeks, so I may be able to post comments after that.

I would be interested if any members have customized the front grill on an 06-08 TSX.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Racer

As for the power, well, it's all relative. Compared to the TL, it's lacking a bit, but it's also about $5K less than the TL.

You'll love your new TSX. I was worried about the road noise, but don't be. You will hear the engine rev, but it's a smooth car on the highway. Make sure you break it in before your trip. They recommend not to set the cruise for atleast 500 miles. You should drive it normal, but be sure not to red-line it. Don't baby it, but don't race it.

A-Spec, body kit, you'll love it. It's a subtle car, but turns heads.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob & Bob
Pleased to read tftimm's excellent summary of his 08 TSX, since I just bought one today, over the internet. Bought a black, 6spd, ebony interior, with the full body kit, and the A-Spec sports suspension system. Probably will not take possession until next Monday as they have to drive it in from another state.

My wife and I are going to take it to Florida for a couple of weeks, so I may be able to post comments after that.

I would be interested if any members have customized the front grill on an 06-08 TSX.
CRAP man, i hope you got a deal on it because a TSX with the body kit and aspec suspension must have taken the price up quite a few grand!!! With navi or no navi?

Either way, congrats, you will def like the aspec suspension regardless of price!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.

Looking at pictures of our cars never gets old. I couldnt really see the pinstripe from the pictures. As long as you and the wife like it though. You are really going to enjoy this car.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

the pin stripe makes it look as if the car is moving, like a visible wind whistling along the side of the car.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks tftimm for the advice on breaking in. It will be interesting to hear if the dealer says anything about it when I pick it up.

I did not get the Navigation figuring a portable Magellan I have will be all I need and, of course, it is $2k less.

The dealer shaved a bit off the A-spec suspension and the body kit, but still more than if I had bought from Hondacura World, but I wanted to get on with it.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Racer

I thought the same with the tint and mud guards. I wanted to drive the car off the lot and that's it. I didn't want to have to take it somewhere for this, worry about installing the mud guards, etc.
Let them do it, if something happens to the tint, they'll fix it when I bring it in for service, same with the mud guards.
Enjoy your ride, and be sure to post pictures once you get it.