How to make 20's fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make 20's fit?

I know therese more people than TEEKAY with 20's. I'm about to buy some, very cheap price and my tires are dry rotted, so i figure I'll just get these wheels and ride them out. I"m thinkin I gotta make sure they have 225's or 235's on them. I'm also thinking about suspension spacers anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

don't do it bro.....
Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Old 10-11-2007, 05:39 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
If you do it, you will def regret it because then the car looks weird. The wheels will look absolutely to big for the car. If you wanna do it then do it but I wouldn't.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Dark TL

I have a black 05 and I put 20" Black Forte F8 Spikes on it about 6 months ago and everyone says they look awesome!!! ($1500.00 wheels and tires, turn-key price)Now, know that I'm a 36 year old white guy that lives in the suburbs and the people telling me my car looks great are the same. It doesn't look ghetto; it doesn't look weird or out of place at all. I've never bought wheels for any car that I've ever owned in my life and was a little apprehensive about doing it but I'm so glad I did. I have the 235 series tires on it cause the 225's would have been just too low.
I live in Houston, TX so I certainly have to deal with bad roads but have had very little trouble getting around at all, in fact there's only one place I know of that I really have to slow down at. My speedometer is a little off now showing a slightly slower speed than my actual and my odometer is of course showing lower mileage than I'm actually putting on it but that's good thing right?
The stance of the car is much more aggressive and it has a very tough look to it!
Here are the only downfalls I've encountered...
1. Car gets VERY dirty, very quickly if I drive it in the rain since the tires are wider.
2. The back tires have rubbed up on the top part of the metal lip that tucks in on the wheel well and bent it upwards (hope I described that well enough). Since this metal was already bent inwards you couldn't see it anyways, now it's just sloped in and upwards.
3. You won't be able to ride with 4 large people in your car, the back end will rub the tires... but ONLY if you have 4 large people or 3 obese people. My wife and I have no problem... I'm 200 lbs and she's 140 lbs... and her sister rides in the back to and she's about 170 lbs.
Here's the link to the wheels I bought...
http://www.americanwheelandtire.com/...supplier=Forte
If anyone can let me know how to post pictures on this site I'll gladly put a picture of my car...
Good Luck... and go for it!
D.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:34 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by distrutt1
I have a black 05 and I put 20" Black Forte F8 Spikes on it about 6 months ago and everyone says they look awesome!!! ($1500.00 wheels and tires, turn-key price)Now, know that I'm a 36 year old white guy that lives in the suburbs and the people telling me my car looks great are the same. It doesn't look ghetto; it doesn't look weird or out of place at all. I've never bought wheels for any car that I've ever owned in my life and was a little apprehensive about doing it but I'm so glad I did. I have the 235 series tires on it cause the 225's would have been just too low.
I live in Houston, TX so I certainly have to deal with bad roads but have had very little trouble getting around at all, in fact there's only one place I know of that I really have to slow down at. My speedometer is a little off now showing a slightly slower speed than my actual and my odometer is of course showing lower mileage than I'm actually putting on it but that's good thing right?
The stance of the car is much more aggressive and it has a very tough look to it!
1. Car gets VERY dirty, very quickly if I drive it in the rain since the tires are wider.
2. The back tires have rubbed up on the top part of the metal lip that tucks in on the wheel well and bent it upwards (hope I described that well enough). Since this metal was already bent inwards you couldn't see it anyways, now it's just sloped in and upwards.
3. You won't be able to ride with 4 large people in your car, the back end will rub the tires... but ONLY if you have 4 large people or 3 obese people. My wife and I have no problem... I'm 200 lbs and she's 140 lbs... and her sister rides in the back to and she's about 170 lbs.
If anyone can let me know how to post pictures on this site I'll gladly put a picture of my car...
D.
There is a difference though on how they look on a 1st gen and a 3rd gen though. 20's can look good on a 3rd gen and on a 1st gen they just look weird. Here are some links for you to decide:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2375050 <---3rd gen

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2427945 <---1st gen

This is just my opinion, but people use these links to see what some of us are trying to say.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:34 PM
-Arsenic-

Originally Posted by distrutt1
D.
Your car is an 05. His is a 1st gen, so what you just typed is completely irrelevant. 20s look good on 3rd gens, (bigger wheelwells) NOT on 1st and 2nd gens.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Instructor

To each thier own but if teekays rims were a half inch less wide, I'd love em.. My deal fell through tho, the tires were to thick 255's. I'm tryin to find some 2nd gen type S wheels now.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Those would look sick.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
20s would look dope but you'd have to do some major modifying for it to look good...i mean major.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TLBaller
20s would look dope but you'd have to do some major modifying for it to look good...i mean major.
I think *PROPERLY* cut and flared wheel wells would do wonders to our cars' exterior. Add a good suspension system and the cars would have a really nice presence, although I personally wouldn't go over 19".

~Cheers~
Old 10-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Dark TL

Originally Posted by 02type-s
Your car is an 05. His is a 1st gen, so what you just typed is completely irrelevant. 20s look good on 3rd gens, (bigger wheelwells) NOT on 1st and 2nd gens.
My bad!!! I must have mistakenly got directed to the 1st gen forum instead of the 3rd gen...
Deadsetonlivin, good luck on whatever decision you make and in the end it's what you feel comfortable with and what you think matches your personality. Just one hint, when I bought my wheels I went to a store with a lot of variety in stock (see link in previous communication) and got the sales guy to pull out several wheels to my car and we'd set them in front of my OEM's and step back to see what looked good and what didn't. Through process of elimination I picked the Forte's.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by deadsetonlivin
To each thier own but if teekays rims were a half inch less wide, I'd love em.. My deal fell through tho, the tires were to thick 255's. I'm tryin to find some 2nd gen type S wheels now.
i got some chrome typeS rims if u want.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With such sized weels Your car'll eat smth like 30 litrs per hundred km and push to 60 about 11-12 sec. Is it so nessesary?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

I just want to know what the fuss is about, why pay so much for "ballin wheelz yo!"
when you can buy 17's or 18's and they'll fit the car like a glove?

I have 17's you be the judge.

I think that looks fine.

Or you can get get some "fly azz 20 DDDDD's yo" and turn your classy TL into a fuckin' clown car, then to complete your pimped out ride just put that skyline bodykit on and in no time "Fast and the Furious 4: Pimpin' Cali" will call you to be in their movie.

But it's your choice.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
moved to tires, wheels and suspension...
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 96teeluxury
I just want to know what the fuss is about, why pay so much for "ballin wheelz yo!"
when you can buy 17's or 18's and they'll fit the car like a glove?

I have 17's you be the judge.

I think that looks fine.

Or you can get get some "fly azz 20 DDDDD's yo" and turn your classy TL into a fuckin' clown car, then to complete your pimped out ride just put that skyline bodykit on and in no time "Fast and the Furious 4: Pimpin' Cali" will call you to be in their movie.

But it's your choice.

lol, i think he already made up his mine..
Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Inspired[RUS]
With such sized weels Your car'll eat smth like 30 litrs per hundred km and push to 60 about 11-12 sec. Is it so nessesary?
whos smith?

are you up drinking vodka, cause you make no sence..
Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
-Arsenic-

Originally Posted by Colt45
whos smith?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colt45
whos smith?

Wow, we have a smart gay here! He knows "vodka"! (everybody furiously clapping)

Seriosly, how much will 20" 9-10J rims weigh? It seems to me, that 15-17 kg per rim and smth about 8-10 kg per tire. So we have about 30 kg per weel instead of 15 in stock, so, twise more (!). If you turn to physics and lern smth about underspring mass you'll understand, that in each kg+ you'll loose a lot of power, espesially in taking-off. Its a main reason. And I'm not telling about offset, stupid wide (255), and so on yet.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 AM
大日本帝国

Wow, we have a smart gay here! He knows "vodka"! (everybody furiously clapping)

Seriosly, how much will 20" 9-10J rims weigh? It seems to me, that 15-17 kg per rim and smth about 8-10 kg per tire. So we have about 30 kg per weel instead of 15 in stock, so, twise more (!). If you turn to physics and lern smth about underspring mass you'll understand, that in each kg+ you'll loose a lot of power, espesially in taking-off. Its a main reason. And I'm not telling about offset, stupid wide (255), and so on yet.
It's guy, but I understand the language barrier. It's unsprung weight, and I KNOW Colt knows about that. His car is being built for looks and comfort, those are his immediate goals. Besides the pistons, nothing else is really changed in the engine bay. People wonder why I spent the money for the Inspire grill, emblems, side visors, tails, bumpers, and painted sideskirts. BECAUSE IT LOOKS BETTER. That was one of my goals: have a clean looking TL. Sound system? ALL of it is lightweight (8" sub in a sealed box a tad under 1 cubic foot, but stuffed to be 1.3 cu.ft.) because I know I don't need to rattle the car next to me, just myself and the occasional passenger(s).

~Cheers~

P.S. 255 is not stupid wide, the stock 365s on the Veyron are. I'm planning to run at least a 215 on my next set of tyres to aid in traction, as I'm spinning the shit out of these Federals. Say goodbye to fuel economy, but that's something we didn't have much of anyway, so who cares? Shit, with the 3.2, I was happy to get 18MPG.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Go90go
It's guy, but I understand the language barrier. It's unsprung weight, and I KNOW Colt knows about that. His car is being built for looks and comfort, those are his immediate goals.
Sorry for non-guy

But, we are talking NOT ABOUT HIS CAR in this topic, Am I wrong? I sad, that with such big rims and wide tires Topicstarter loose a lot of power and fuel.

Besides the pistons, nothing else is really changed in the engine bay. People wonder why I spent the money for the Inspire grill, emblems, side visors, tails, bumpers, and painted sideskirts. BECAUSE IT LOOKS BETTER. That was one of my goals: have a clean looking TL. Sound system? ALL of it is lightweight (8" sub in a sealed box a tad under 1 cubic foot, but stuffed to be 1.3 cu.ft.) because I know I don't need to rattle the car next to me, just myself and the occasional passenger(s).
Wow, what is it for here? I just sad what author loose if he‘ll do what he wants. I didn’t ask why or what for he wants to do that – I sad what he’ll loose if he is.

P.S. 255 is not stupid wide, the stock 365s on the Veyron are. I'm planning to run at least a 215 on my next set of tyres to aid in traction, as I'm spinning the shit out of these Federals. Say goodbye to fuel economy, but that's something we didn't have much of anyway, so who cares? Shit, with the 3.2, I was happy to get 18MPG.
For 1st generation 255 is stupid wide, because of completely lost controllability, and necessity to use 9-10 wide rims. 215 are wide enough for good looking and non-critical falling drivability.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Instructor

You know i really want some rims on my car and this thread attracted me. But you know im only 16 and i don't understand a word u guys were saying about these rims sizes, smth and weight of the rims and the performance of the car lol. but from what one of you guys said how the rims can make the way the car takes off slower is not letting me want rims anymore...

but the stock wheels really make me sick so lol.

i want some 17" or 18" wheels. my real question here is that do rims really ruin the ride of the TL, making it ride kinda bad? i love the way the car drives now it smooth and its suspension it nice. im just wondering will rims get rid of that? thats why i want the 2nd generation TL-S wheels (chromes) because i don't think it will change anything but they are very pricey and i don't think ppl would wanna steal those any... unlike the after market wheels ppl will steal them and i think they are cheaper and they look nice. 96teeluxury i love your car but how does it drive?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Balla
There is a difference though on how they look on a 1st gen and a 3rd gen though. 20's can look good on a 3rd gen and on a 1st gen they just look weird. Here are some links for you to decide:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2375050 <---3rd gen

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2427945 <---1st gen

This is just my opinion, but people use these links to see what some of us are trying to say.
the rims on the while Tl doesnt look bad i love the red one tho and i want the mirrors that are on them.. those are from the RL?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

I'm just going to put this out there. 96teeluxury you have inspired me to get 17s like those once the spring/summer comes.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm just going to put this out there. 96teeluxury you have inspired me to get 17s like those once the spring/summer comes.
same wheels from wheelmax.com
Old 10-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Yea it was only for looks.. I still may do it if I find some for a good price.. Mostly cause I'm thinkin about a g35 or a X5 around march of next year.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Thanks man that's a real compliment, you should go steal them off an Enzo like I should have done. I bought my wheels with tires a year ago in Brooklyn from some guy on craigslist for $250, might as well have stolen them for that price heh.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
大日本帝国

For 1st generation 255 is stupid wide, because of completely lost controllability, and necessity to use 9-10 wide rims. 215 are wide enough for good looking and non-critical falling drivability.
I'd be running 255's if I had rims wide enough to support them. Seriously, man, explain to me why a larger contact patch will hinder control as you are saying it does? I almost put G35 rims with 245's on my car, but I didn't have the money to repaint them. Would those rims have caused me to become unstable in turns? I doubt it. Almost anything is better than the bald 205's I've got on right now. I understand unsprung weight, and how if a wheel's edge is closer to the axle, it will spin easier, but seriously, some of the things you are saying don't make sense. Granted a 255 tyre will weigh more than a 215 tyre of the same size, but that can be countered with a lighter/smaller rim. If I could get a 15" or 16" rim that can run 255's, hell, I'd slap 275's on there just for fun. FD rims, here I come, hehe. Light as a feather, look good = A+ in my book. 255/45R16 FTW.

~Cheers~
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
B A N N E D

as soon as i rob some more people and get some more prostitutes making me paper, im getting...
20x9.5 -27mm ET ultra low disc vs-xx 225-30-20 rears ...keeping the 19x9 fronts the same

yea 225 on a 9.5 wide, and a 30 series. so like 1/2 inch sidewall..... and a 5.5 inch lip instead of 4 haha

mass raked mmmm
Old 11-19-2007, 07:17 PM
大日本帝国

^ Holy shit, haha. That's going to be one stretched ass tyre!

~Cheers~