Worn Crank Pulley Failure, TexasHonda, other tech-minded please read

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn Crank Pulley Failure, TexasHonda, other tech-minded please read

TexasHonda, I'm a brand new member because of this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-problems-fixes-118/acura-timing-belt-harmonic-balancer-pulley-fiasco-625894/

Thank you for such a detailed accounting. I hope no one else has to experience this, but someone else might be able to use this thread in the future.

Our '96 2.5TL suffered crankshaft pulley failure and experienced almost the exact same things you'd written about in the above link (dead after an hour of driving, etc.). We had the timing belt changed by the local Acura dealer about 1200 miles ago, and, after having a starter switch (at the key), two alternators, and two new batteries replaced, the same dealer who changed the timing belt found the problem- a "worn" crank pulley. The same one that they'd handled at least twice when changing the timing belt. It looks like they've cost us an additional ~$1500 in what seems to be related and otherwise unnecessary repairs, and I fear for internal engine health.

We've called other Acura dealers and were told this should've either been caught during the timing belt change, or that the installation was flawed. The car is still in the shop and we're meeting with them mid-week to discuss matters in person. I'm trying to compile a list of questions to ask them to buttress our case.

1) We heard a squeal. If the crank pulley spun, could the engine have gone out of time?

2) If the engine went out of time, could it cause internal damage?

3) Could the timing belt be damaged?

4) If the pulley was re-installed improperly, could the crankshaft key be damaged because of the wobble?

5) What effect would the vibration from the wobbles have on other accessories (oil pump, etc.)

6) Could these vibrations cause crankshaft damage?

7) Can crankshaft damage lead to catastrophic engine failure?

8) What inspections are done to pulleys before they're replaced?

9) We'll ask them to check for valve and piston damage.

Are there any other ideas, questions, or concerns I should have? Any additional insight would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
David
Old 05-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
1) We heard a squeal. If the crank pulley spun, could the engine have gone out of time?
No, crank pulley rubber bushing slippage has nothing to do w/ engine timing.

2) If the engine went out of time, could it cause internal damage?
Yes.

3) Could the timing belt be damaged?
Unlikely, unless the crankshaft pulley was removed and reinstalled incorrectly, which was my problem.

4) If the pulley was re-installed improperly, could the crankshaft key be damaged because of the wobble?
Yes, a loose crankshaft pulley could damage the key or keyway easily. In my case, the key fell out and no key or keyway damage, but since key engages the timing belt drive sprocket and crankshaft pulley, there was nothing to properly turn the timing belt,...bad news.

5) What effect would the vibration from the wobbles have on other accessories (oil pump, etc.)
I don't see any problems, other than possible drive belts jumping off, but not likely.

6) Could these vibrations cause crankshaft damage?
I don't think so, but I'm not a professional mechanic.

7) Can crankshaft damage lead to catastrophic engine failure?
If timing is lost, and valves impact the pistons, the valves will be damaged, and possibly pistons damaged. Probably not catatrophic,... except to the pocketbook.

8) What inspections are done to pulleys before they're replaced?
That's the problem. No one suspects they fail. I've begun to inspect them, but unless they are in terrible shape, it may not be apparent that crankshaft pulley is failing. Not sure why they fail, but it's obvious they can and do fail.

9) We'll ask them to check for valve and piston damage.
Based on your post, I doubt you have engine damage, but won't hurt to check.

In this case, I sympathize w/ the shop. I've never heard of any way to check a crankshaft pulley, and this is not a maintenance replaceable item. To say they should have recognized the problem is expecting too much. My only issue w/ the problem I had was the poor installation of the replacement crankshaft pulley. If they had done the job correctly, no problems would have arisen. They tried to install the crankshaft pulley w/o removing cooling fans and other accessory parts and failed.

good luck
Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: TexasHonda

Thanks for your help. Yeah, we're at that ever-difficult "all things have a lifespan" vs. "our car sure was trouble-free before you worked on it" stage.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
I would suggest asking shop to discount (no profit might be 20-30% off) the un-necessary parts and labor and you pay full cost of harmonic balancer repair. Not going to be cheap, but at least you don't seem to have major engine damage.

good luck