This is why you buy OEM...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why you buy OEM...

The weather was so lovely today (35 degrees and raining) that I decided to change my transmission screen and filter.

Over the past few years I have done everything from clutches, to transmissions, to motor swaps
so I figured this job would be a piece of cake. And honestly it should have been...

Old stuff removed

Gasket came off in just about 1 piece:

Old and new:

Fluids:

RED FLAG!!!

The replacement gasket didn't line up with the pan. It looks like it came out of the mold that way which proves the
imperfections that can come with buying aftermarket parts.

I was already halfway done with the job and was freezing my ass off so figured that I'd try to give the gasket a shot and attempt to
finagle it in line with the pan and then pin it in place when I tightened the screws.

Well, long-story-short, it didn't work. So I had to make a trip back to Honda to get more ATF and to
the parts store for some RTV to make a gasket myself.

Back up in the air. This time in a parking garage instead of getting rained on like an idiot

FAIL:

I managed to save most of the fluid, but it appears that in the 40 minutes it took me to get the
parts and get her back in the air I lost close to 2qts
This thing was hemorrhaging oil!

It's not going to win you any under carriage beauty contests,
but it gets the job done.

Set it and forget it:

Back down:

Aftermarket parts make baby jeebus cry
Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
HAHAHA!! At least you didn't try to drive on it! Glad you were able to make a gasketm though. I had to make one for the left taillight. Wasn't nice to have expensive textbooks completely soaked with the pages stuck together.

~Cheers~
Old 12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
5th Gear

With your enthusiasm for doing your own work, you really deserve your own garage. If parking enforcement came by patrolling and saw you, that would have made for a funny story
Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that filter kit is for the legend thats why. Every company thinks its the same shit for the TL, but its slightly different. I had to buy an oem gasket... I have had a worse experience with changing out the filter... also with an aftermarket filter.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

That's retarded. I guess there's nothing you can do BUT buy OEM if the Legend kit is in the system as the one for the 3.2TL. It appears they didn't even bother making a specified kit for our car which would explain why the kits all have the same part numbers as the ones for the Legend.

I might order an extra OEM kit just to have one on deck if this one starts acting funky. But so far the car shifts smoother than ever. It's an easy job, it's just a biotch having to buy new ATF.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xanderpants
That's retarded. I guess there's nothing you can do BUT buy OEM if the Legend kit is in the system as the one for the 3.2TL. It appears they didn't even bother making a specified kit for our car which would explain why the kits all have the same part numbers as the ones for the Legend.

I might order an extra OEM kit just to have one on deck if this one starts acting funky. But so far the car shifts smoother than ever. It's an easy job, it's just a biotch having to buy new ATF.
yea, i ended up using the aftermarket filter but spent the $13 for an OEM gasket. I went through like eight bottles of ATF. Not fun.