Surges and dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surges and dies

My 98 2.5TL started surging at idle and wouldn't drive. This would happen after the car was warmed up and was restarted.
Once you could get it over 3k rpm it would be fine. This progressively got worse to the point where it would be undriveable. It would load up and backfire occasionally. It wasn't setting a dtc for as long as it was happening, 6 mo. or more, but recently it did put the check engine lite on but i haven't pulled the code yet. I recently have replaced the coil which had no effect. I brought it to a Acura repair facility who said it was the MAF sensor, they wanted 300 for a used one plus the 117 diagnostic fee. I put in a reman one which didn't fix the problem. I also changed the ect sensor since it was only 25. No change. I cleaned all the ground points relative to the ECU. If I disconnect the ect it idles fine and drives but shifts hard. I also can disconnect the throttle position sensor which has a similar effect, idles fine but doesn't drive as well. The D4 light is out so i can't see if it's giving a trans. control module error. I plan on resetting the DTC and limping it down to have the codes pulled if it sets one again. Any suggestions on which scantool to buy if I did get one??
Any thoughts on this problem would be helpful. It's got 240k on it but aside from this problem has been great.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
I would remove distributor, and replace the distributor cap and rotor. Make sure distributor interior is clear of excess oil. As the distributor ages, oil passes the shaft seal on the distributor drive shaft and if bypass oil can't drain (drain hole on lower side) the oil will load up and foul the distributor. I had this happen on my 2.5TL and symptoms were similar; difficulty starting/running, and backfiring.

good luck
Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks, I'll check it once the rain lets up. It's been raining/flooding in RI for the last few days and my barn is occupied with a '88 Mustang GT which my son found out can be a pretty quick car when you're inexperienced. That's a project for another day, though!
Thanks TexasHonda
Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 PM
3rd Gear

And..btw. What rocket-scientist thought up the location for the distributor on this?? :-)