"Please help" tranny shifting hard & VSS might be going bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry "Please help" tranny shifting hard & VSS might be going bad

(98 TL) I will try and make this a short story.
One night my father told me I had a leak and he thought it was transmission fluid. The next day as I was driving on the highway my car started to overheat. I also noticed my speedometer acting crazy, going up and down for no reason (already posted problem in forum). Once my boyfriend arrived we noticed there was no oil in the car, we then knew then we had an oil leak. We put oil in the car and some anti-freeze and everything seemed fine. Mind the fact we had the oil change a month prior. We took the car back to where we got the oil change and they said it wasn't the oil, but the transmission fluid. We then took it to a transmission shop and they said it was the oil. The mechanic showed my boyfriend the leak, and it was determined it was an oil leak. (When we checked the transmission fluid it seemed empty so we went to an Advance Auto and they told us the Acura can use regular transmission oil). (Stupid me for not calling the Acura dealership). Anyways, we picked the car up on Saturday, and on Monday the car started to shift hard between 1-2nd. Of course I felt the repair shop damaged the car, but all of a sudden they said my transmission went bad because we put the wrong transmission fluid in. In actual time I only drove the car for 5 days with the wrong transmission fluid in it. They had my car from Tuesday to Thursday stating I had to replace the transmission and it would cost $2,600 (rebuild). Once we called Acura they stated the transmission fluid should not have killed the transmission. She told us to ask the repair shop what was the code and all they said was P0700. She said that was a generic code, and wanted the more specific code. They said there was no other code and that was it. I feel the repair shop was trying to take me for my money. My questions are could it be the VSS causing the problem of the hard shifting, or will doing I a transmission flush do the job? The dealership said it would cost $4,000 to fix.
P.S. I also have a code for the 02 sensor. Also does anyone know a replicable Acura repair shop in Orlando, FL?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Have you tried putting in Acura or Honda transmission fluid in and seeing if that helps?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 PM
10th Gear

No I haven't. I was thinking to go and get the tranny's fluid flush, but I am afraid to drive it. Will it mess up the car to drive to a shop?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. tranny flush and filter screen replacement
2. replace oil and filter
3. coolant flush and use honda coolant.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 AM
10th Gear

Angry "Please help" tranny shifting hard & VSS might be going bad

(98 TL) I will try and make this a short story.
One night my father told me I had a leak and he thought it was transmission fluid. The next day as I was driving on the highway my car started to overheat. I also noticed my speedometer acting crazy, going up and down for no reason (already posted problem in forum). Once my boyfriend arrived we noticed there was no oil in the car, we then knew then we had an oil leak. We put oil in the car and some anti-freeze and everything seemed fine. Mind the fact we had the oil change a month prior. We took the car back to where we got the oil change and they said it wasn't the oil, but the transmission fluid. We then took it to a transmission shop and they said it was the oil. The mechanic showed my boyfriend the leak, and it was determined it was an oil leak. (When we checked the transmission fluid it seemed empty so we went to an Advance Auto and they told us the Acura can use regular transmission oil). (Stupid me for not calling the Acura dealership). Anyways, we picked the car up on Saturday, and on Monday the car started to shift hard between 1-2nd. Of course I felt the repair shop damaged the car, but all of a sudden they said my transmission went bad because we put the wrong transmission fluid in. In actual time I only drove the car for 5 days with the wrong transmission fluid in it. They had my car from Tuesday to Thursday stating I had to replace the transmission and it would cost $2,600 (rebuild). Once we called Acura they stated the transmission fluid should not have killed the transmission. She told us to ask the repair shop what was the code and all they said was P0700. She said that was a generic code, and wanted the more specific code. They said there was no other code and that was it. I feel the repair shop was trying to take me for my money. My questions are could it be the VSS causing the problem of the hard shifting, or will doing I a transmission flush do the job? The dealership said it would cost $4,000 to fix.
P.S. I also have a code for the 02 sensor. Also does anyone know a replicable Acura repair shop in Orlando, FL?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The dealershio installs a rebuilt unit they get from a dedicated supplier who does al ltheir rebuilds
Your old trans gets removed and replaced. $4000
With a rebuiler shop- they take yours apart and fix whats needed about 2500$

Changing the trans fluid- especially a partial change with wrong fluid that acura says should only be used in emergency- and then drained and refilled with Honda stuff...
has led to many trans failure shortly afterwards, even using the honda fluid.

The stick on the passenger side is engine oil
The stick on driver side is trans oil
Where was the leak from- where did they point-
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

Thanks

I wasn't there to say where the actual leak was coming from, but he said behind the oil pan. The repair shop said it was a bad O-Ring, but charged the hell out of labor. I am going to try and find out what is considered the average time to replace the O-Ring since I feel they are trying to get all of my money. Do you think a bad VSS might make the transmission shift hard?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Team Owner

yeah- find out whats going on, because there is a rear engine main seal and a trans front main seal that you can inspect but to reach them is about 6 hours labor for a 10 dollar part
Requires transmission removal
Old 01-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
threads merged...
Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Start by telling us if you have the 2.5TL or 3.2TL. It may make a difference.

The 2.5TL will shift hard 1-2 if the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working. There should be a OBD2 code P0715 or OBD1 code 15. Code 15 is 1 long blink, pause, 5 short blinks on D4 transmission shift position indicator light w/ Service Check Connector (under dash on pax side) shorted w/ jumper wire and keyswitch ON. Note, you will only get this code when speedometer is not working.

good luck
Old 01-20-2008, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

I actually have a 2.5 TL. I towed it to the dealership yesterday, so I have praying for a miracle. I hope it is an easy fix. Since everyone is getting the codes for their car, I am assuming everyone has their personal code reader. If so where can I purchase one from? I saw some on Ebay, but I am not for sure which one to purchase.
Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

No need to buy one- we all go to autozone or kragen type store- they come out and read them for free. Codes are not diagnosis by any means- they are clues to a problem
Old 10-28-2009, 06:20 PM
7th Gear

hard shifting 1-2

I have a 96 2.5tl and it shifts hard from 1-2. i have been reading about the vss possibly causing the hard shift, but the speedometer works. But the tachometer does not work are these two connected to similar problems. Also the cruise control doesnt work. Please hhelp trying to sell car and would like to fix this problem.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to know this also; i have a 2.5 tl that shifts hard in 1st and 2nd.All my gauges work fine but i dont think my cruise control ever worked...is it VSS?