Pulling the heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling the heads

Hi everyone.
I need to replace the head gaskets on my 98 3.2TL. I've had a head gasket leak, maybe on both banks, for a few years. It was never much of an issue because gas was only getting into the cooling system and I was able to make a few 120 mile commutes before needing to add any water. But, over time, it's gotten to the point where the care is no longer usable.
Anyway, I have finally decided to replace the gaskets and, if necessary (probably) machine the heads, which I should have done several years ago when I had the camshafts off to replace the rear seals. and also clean out the crud in the EGR system.
My question, before I get too far into dismantling everything again is; is it possible to remove the heads with the exhaust manifolds and shields still attached (with the engine still in the car)? Getting to the heat shield bolts is a pain, and it might be just as difficult to get to all the manifold bolts, but it looks like there is enough room for the heads to come up with the manifolds still attached, and maybe also with the down-pipe on the right bank.
I don't have the facility or the equipment to pull the engine, and will have to part out the vehicle or donate it to a charity if this can't be done.
I've had the car since new, and had put 320K miles on it by 2013. Since losing my job, the mileage hasn't increased very much, but my goal has been to reach at 400K miles, which it will do once it's running again. Engine is still good and uses little oil.
Really appreciate any help.
Thanks
Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Has anyone pulled the heads with the engine still in the car? Need some help please.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I pulled the heads with the engine in the car out of my 2006 Acura TL. 3.2L
might not be much help as I had the engine torn down, removed catalytic convertors and Jpipe. also removed timing belt.
The following users liked this post:
75 cruiser (10-25-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, Justnspace.
Yeah. I have no problem disassembling the engine. I did it before, when I pulled the cams off. But, when you removed the heads, were the exhaust manifolds still attached to the heads?

Thanks again.