No Brake Pedal Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008 | 08:06 AM
Intermediate

No Brake Pedal Pressure?

I changed the rear pads yesterday and as it turns out one of the pistons had come unscrewed. I got it back on, changed the pads as normal, but now their is no pedal pressure. The pedal literally goes to the floor, as if it is extremely low on fluid. (fluid level is normal though). Could I have gotten air into the system when the piston came off...or? I tried to "burp" the system by gently pushing the pedal, with the resevoir cap off, but nothing. Any help would be grealty appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008 | 12:23 PM
Khmer Pride

sounds like there is air
you can unscrew the bleed hole,pump the break 3 times and put a object (stick or a bar) to the break pedal to the ground and while you go to the rear and screw in the bleed.

or get somebody to pump that pedal 3 time and while you screw it back.

then refill the break fuild

i used to have a custom rear piston tool to screw in the piston,if i had alot of them i sell them

GL
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:13 PM
Team Owner

parts stores sell the $3 tool for those pistons- it attaches to a ratchet and in they go

YES you have mass quantities of air in the brake system, that piston has an oring seal that keeps the fluid contained. Past its limit and there is air from outside that wants to get into that fluid!!

Im gen2 so refer to your owner book to confirm same on your year-
free owner books here- click year then model
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

bleed order is driver front= LF then clockwise around the car
so its LF RF RR LR to bleed them
You cant just start where you want and think its good!
The res cap is ON during the bleeding/pumping operation- way too easy to get spillage- and that brake fluid EATS car paint - right now!!!

I use the pump 5 times and helper holds pedal is if on steep hill- you open the bleeder nipple - helper pushes pedal- it goes down and hits small wood 2x4 block you put there as safety spacer- its easy to push the pedal to the floor- which is BAD for the master cylinder. thats past its normal travel and can get into areas that can damage ITS o rings! HAve to be careful- everything is related.
When helper has pedal hit the board they call DOWN!and they hold pedal down while YOU close the bleeder, then they pump 5 times and hold- you open- fluid comes out- air bubbles may not appear instantly or that wheel may be ok

Since brake fluid needs to be changed completely ----EVERY YEAR!!!!----- doing each wheel until clean clear fluid comes out- and no more bubbles- then you are good to go
Takes about 1 quart brake fluid to do the whole system good

Check and refill master cylinder after each wheel- you dont want it to run dry or you have to start all over again~

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-21-2008 at 01:17 PM.