How to fill ABS reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 01:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to fill ABS reservoir?

I have a 96 TL 3.2. I've checked the level of brake fluid and the level for abs reservoir looks kind of low.
How to add Dot-3 fluid to this reservoir? Unlike master cylender reservoir which has a big cap. This ABS stuff just has a tiny hole after remove the small cap. Do I need a special tool or remove the whole cover in order to refill?
TIA
applyarea
Old 01-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by applyarea
I have a 96 TL 3.2. I've checked the level of brake fluid and the level for abs reservoir looks kind of low.
How to add Dot-3 fluid to this reservoir? Unlike master cylender reservoir which has a big cap. This ABS stuff just has a tiny hole after remove the small cap. Do I need a special tool or remove the whole cover in order to refill?
TIA
applyarea
remove the black rubber cap, then remove the small plastic insert. Yes, the hole is a little small, but I used a small funnel to assist in fillin it. Once you fill it, think about bleeding the abs reservoir - the bleeder nut is right next to the reservoir - if you looking at the reservoir from the front of the car, the nut if about 6cm from the black cap in the direction towards the rear of the car. Connect some tubing - i believe 3/8 inch tubing should do it, and make sure the other end of the tubing is immersed in clean brake fluid. Start the car - the abs unit should pressurize, and you will hear it buzz - once it has pressurized and there is no "buzzing" coming from that area, switch off the car. Then slowly open the nut until fluid starts flowing out though the tubing. Once there are no more bubbles in the fluid, and only a clean stream of brake flows through the tubing, tighten the bleeder nut. Add fluid to the reservoir to compensate for any loss in fluid.

You should be good to go. Bleeding the system would be wise especially if you hear a prolonged buzzing sound from the abs pump which lasts for more than 8ish seconds upon starting the car. That could mean that some air has entered the system, and hence the bleeding should get rid of it.

You should also note, that it is not uncommon for the abs modulator/pump unit to leak on these cars, given their age and mileage. Although I performed the refill/bleed procedure on mine for about a year, I eventually had the unit replaced with one i purchased off eBay.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Vishnut111. I am looking for a tiny funnel now.
But as to the bleeding, can you be more specific that how to connect the tube when bleeding? One end of the tube is immersed in fluid and where is the other end connected to?
Thanks again
AREA
Old 01-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Tube end is pushed over the bleeder. Use clear vinyl tubing to allow bubbles to be seen. Tubing has about 3/16" ID, but I'm not sure of exact size.

Common place for leaks on other ABS units (no exp. yet on TL's,...thank goodness) is the accumulator-modulator oring and lower modulator body plugs (retighten). Clean the unit and look for fluid to reappear. A small "look-behind" mirror is essential to spot the small fluid leaks and trails.

good luck