car accident.. rotors and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update: both my front axles were broken. i replaced them over the weekend took less then 1 hour.

the loud grinding is one or more of my hub bearings i will be replacing all of them tomorrow or wednesday.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andrew,

The 1996-1998 Acura TL's have a ring and pinion in the front with the transmission. You actually have a differential too. That is how the engine points to the fron of the car. The next generations of Acuras turned the engine sideways.

The axles go into the dif. This has a fluid to lube everything. You might wannt to check for seals.

If your car is due for fluid changes, I would change the axles, then after you check it for a while (week) I'd then take it in for the fluid changes. I don't like changing too many this at once.

I have a 3.2 and a 2.5. I switched to the cross drilled rotors and Performance Friction pads on both. You feel the pads bite when it rolls. You can stand on them all day long and the won't warp.

I was the meat in the sandwich. I stopped so good that I was rearended into the guy in front of me. Also, if you go down this road of brakes, be sure to tell anyone who drives the car. It will stop quickly.

JustAnswer.com has a very good expert on Acura's. I've been using him to help me with a power steering issue.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

^ i do all my own work..
the really loud grinding was a loose bolt on my control arm rubbing my axle notches.

there is still a slight sound while driving, the car stops great i think its just the new ceramic pads and new rotors rubbing a little.

my pads and rotors bite very well also( seems like they even bite a little while im driving thats what the noise could be? )

and the rotors and pads seems great, i was mad because i drove for about 1 1/2 hours and was like shit they are gonna be so hot to work with but the new rotors were only warm to the touch!! im satisfied
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

yay i passed inspection!! then my CEL went on for torque converter and transmission. i found a guy who would do my 5spd swap for 500 i think thats a dam good deal!! if not i could even throw in the auto for like 300 labor, but theres still the possibility i will sell. i have a potential buyer for it.

ill keep you all posted