ABS Light DTC 18 and 51 '98 3.2TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Light DTC 18 and 51 '98 3.2TL

I had the ABS come on steady for a few weeks and took it upon myself to figure out the cause.

I retrieved DTC 18, using the following method.

I tried resetting it several times but to no avail. This code corresponds to the Rear Left Vehicle Speed Sensor being faulty. The sensor is accessible without removing the wheel and the connector is orange and is located under the rear of the vehicle, center of both wheels and forward of the gas tank. I checked the sensor with an Ohm meter and it read infinite impedance, meaning the cable to the sensor is open or the sensor itself is damaged. I checked the other side of the cable going to the ABS Control unit and the cable checked out fine.

I found the part on eBay for $115, much cheaper than at the Dealer saved over half price also the cost of labor, which I can't imagine. Part # ALS982 SMP

I removed the old sensor and the surface was damaged. After I replaced the sensor, I erased the DTC code and went for a test drive. The ABS light immediately illuminated. I retrieved code DTC 51, corresponds to Motor Lock. I re-checked the connections to the Modulator and the new ABS sensor. Everything looks ok. After surfing online through forums, it seems that the modulator may need replacing.

Magically later in the evening I went for a further drive and the ABS light went off and stayed off. I'm thinking the ABS controller needs the wheel sensor to register the signal over a certain distance or speed and log the reference point. I was a happy camper, however only momentarily. The next day I went for another drive and the ABS light illuminated immediately. After some distance it turned off.

The past few days, the ABS light has been behaving as mentioned above. Illuminating immediately after the start of driving and then turning off after some distance. Also there have been occasions where the ABS does not illuminate for the entire drive. Could be a glitch in the ABS control unit, but I am just speculating. Don't really want to purchase and change the Control Unit or Modulator just yet.

So at the point I have re-checked all the connections again and I am in between either replacing the ABS Control Unit or the Modulator. If anyone has come across an issue like this, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A straightened paper clip can also be used in lieu of the PGM tester. I assume your brake fluid level is full?
Otherwise, I guess you'll have to wait and see if the light ever remains on.
It seems like the ABS modulator on these models isn't very good, but I guess I forget how old the cars have become.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An update on the intermittent ABS after the sensor change.

After 2 weeks the ABS light does not come on again. It has been over a month that the ABS light has not illuminated. Seems like the Control Unit needed to log the signal as a reference point and compare it a few times before it acknowledges the sensor is operating correctly.

I am taking an educated guess since that ABS light and bad sensor was on for several months almost a year since when I replaced it.