my 96 2.5 TL slammed

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:29 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 石春林
Now I remember, I think I wanted to avoid coilovers because they drop the car... whilst if I select my own complimentary springs I could retain the height. I did not know coilovers had adjustable heights... or by does he mean purchase a set already at that height?
Aftermarket coiloverss are all adjustable, and usually go from stock to -3". I know of no aftermarket spring (unless designed to be OE replacement) that will keep you at stock height. Most people would just leave the springs as is if they wanted to stay at stock height.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Go90go
Aftermarket coiloverss are all adjustable, and usually go from stock to -3". I know of no aftermarket spring (unless designed to be OE replacement) that will keep you at stock height. Most people would just leave the springs as is if they wanted to stay at stock height.

~Cheers~
I think what I was afraid of was the -3"

I know there is no aftermarket spring to retain the stock height... but if I wanted to raise my car there are springs for that... so I'm assuming I can find a middle-ground between lower-shocks and raising-springs...

However, that is pointless now that I know there are coilovers out there which do not drop my car. So, the coilovers do not have adjustable heights--rather I'll have to buy some that are stock height.. correct?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 AM
大日本帝国

You have to get the correct spring length to match the height after mounting and compression to the stock setup.

Most people who raise cars to fit blang-blang rims use the rubber spacers sold at Pep Boys. That is the most idiotic thing to do because your car will be wobbling around and blowing shocks. If you want to keep the car at stock height, just get replacement OEM shocks and forget about coilovers.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Instructor

You have to get the correct spring length to match the height after mounting and compression to the stock setup.

Most people who raise cars to fit blang-blang rims use the rubber spacers sold at Pep Boys. That is the most idiotic thing to do because your car will be wobbling around and blowing shocks. If you want to keep the car at stock height, just get replacement OEM shocks and forget about coilovers.

~Cheers~
I don't mind losing one inch if I can attain better handling. I am sold on adjustable shocks...

As for raising cars with giant bling-bling rims... not everyone does that... some demographs raise there cars with smaller-than-stock wheels with bling-bling... haha, I'm so not into that. I do not see the point in getting rims that'll disallow me to to retain my turning radius. [regards to the 20"+ rims]

If I were to change anything about my tires other than lighter-weight rims with a touch of bling (for the luxury appeal) I would simply get thinner tires to reduce friction and therefore increase mileage [may be a minute increase, but a penny here and a penny there... I could be a rich man]

I know thinner tires are in contrary to my safety and handling... considering wider tires hug turns better... but I stack certain priorities... Plus, I will lose traction with the reduction of friction... effectively losing a bit of efficiency in acceleration.. but I'm not racing this car.

I guess the question now is... where do I find coilovers closest-to-stock height?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by 石春林
I don't mind losing one inch if I can attain better handling. I am sold on adjustable shocks...

As for raising cars with giant bling-bling rims... not everyone does that... some demographs raise there cars with smaller-than-stock wheels with bling-bling... haha, I'm so not into that. I do not see the point in getting rims that'll disallow me to to retain my turning radius. [regards to the 20"+ rims]

If I were to change anything about my tires other than lighter-weight rims with a touch of bling (for the luxury appeal) I would simply get thinner tires to reduce friction and therefore increase mileage [may be a minute increase, but a penny here and a penny there... I could be a rich man]

I know thinner tires are in contrary to my safety and handling... considering wider tires hug turns better... but I stack certain priorities... Plus, I will lose traction with the reduction of friction... effectively losing a bit of efficiency in acceleration.. but I'm not racing this car.

I guess the question now is... where do I find coilovers closest-to-stock height?
You make them. Get the Ground Control sleeves and have GC make you springs to order. You can specify length, ID and spring rate.

Get a harder compound and a narrower tire, and you'll see an improvement. You won't change tires as often either.

~Cheers~
Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 AM
Instructor

You make them. Get the Ground Control sleeves and have GC make you springs to order. You can specify length, ID and spring rate.

Get a harder compound and a narrower tire, and you'll see an improvement. You won't change tires as often either.

~Cheers~
Bleh, horrible with nomenclature... what is this "harder compound" you speak of? You referring to the rubber the tire is made from? The alloy the rims are made of?

As for making the coilovers... So... I guess I should be asking where I can find Koni Yellows to fit my car? I noticed your friend is having troubles with finding the right fit... what part numbers/sizes do I order? Cannot find any answers on google... but I know you guys are aware of cars with similar sizes that I can reference.

Length I am guessing will determine my "drop"... ID is the basic fit... but what is Spring Rate?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by 石春林
Bleh, horrible with nomenclature... what is this "harder compound" you speak of? You referring to the rubber the tire is made from? The alloy the rims are made of?

As for making the coilovers... So... I guess I should be asking where I can find Koni Yellows to fit my car? I noticed your friend is having troubles with finding the right fit... what part numbers/sizes do I order? Cannot find any answers on google... but I know you guys are aware of cars with similar sizes that I can reference..
Ken mentioned it in the other thread. The tire compound is harder, which means you sacrifice grip. It makes it easier to roll, hence the term: low rolling resistance. Your car works less to keep the car at speed, which in turn saves you gas. It doesn't help you get around turns easier, nor stop faster.

97 Accord V6 Sedan. The part numbers are on the board in the other thread, I believe.

~Cheers~
Old 10-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TLin401
Coilovers are win.

I just haven't been able to find any for a 2.5.
Originally Posted by TLin401
Coilovers are win.

I just haven't been able to find any for a 2.5.

Here you go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Groun...ht_3136wt_1165

Now BUY them with some koni's...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 AM
Banned

I refuse to drop my car.. =T

I see no point in losing the versatility of my car, I like to hop islands when needed... or even take the car offroad at times. Another reason I don't care for flashy rims, haha

However, I do see a point in adjustable shocks, so are there any raising springs to bring my car back up to stock height? I'm for sure getting koni adjustables... I just want to re-raise the baby.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
That is a double post.

The OP said that.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
^ That's all I've ever seen him do, copy and paste other people's post.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
aka romeo da kid

Location: i live north of knoxville, TN and south of Bristol, TN
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>>new guy here<<<

i like the way it looks slammed. what size wheels do u have, and idk much about coilovers just that when u drive yur vehicle slammed it is proned to eating up yur tires on the inside. do u have this problem with coilovers? I have 20's on my TL and would love to have it slammed but not if its gonna eat my tires up, thats y i was looking into bagging it.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
thats hot!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Chrome is not my thing, but the ride height looks pretty sweet. Doesn't seem to practical for a DD in my area, but looks good none-the-less.

Has anyone had the ground control/ koni yellow combo installed long enough to know whether or not they sag and need further adjustment after a year or two?

I will likely be doing either the gc sleeves/koni yellow combo or tein basics which has a better reputation (blown/leaking struts being the other obvious deciding factor).

Last edited by Xanderpants; 11-12-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Advanced

i thought about lowering my tl 2.5, but I'm just gonna buy a lip instead. Its looks really good tho