wierd vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005 | 10:21 AM
10th Gear

wierd vibration

I have this problem, when I accelerate heavy the car vibrates prety bad. It doesnt matter if I accelerate from a dead stop or already moving a decent speed. It almost feels like out of balance wheels, but it isnt that because I had them recently balanced and rotated and nothing changed. Also, it is fine as soon as I let out of the gas. the vibration is particularly bad around 55-70mph.

The car has just over 100k miles on it, and as far as I know it has never been in any type of wreck. The CV axles need to be replaced soon, but the boots are not busted.

On another note that might be related, sometimes when I stop there is light annoying vibration at idle when in gear. As soon as I take it out of gear it stops vibrating, but if I hit the gas it is still there. I think that this might be a motor mount, because sometimes it is better than others.

Any idea's? I was thinking that it could be a weak strut or something but they all seem to act fine when cornering and over speed bumps. Harmonic balancer? I don't think that it could be the rotors but maybe? Also, the vibration seems to come mostly from the passenger side of the car.
Old 03-10-2005 | 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Sounds like a bad motor mount.
Old 03-10-2005 | 01:32 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Definately be the first place/thing I would check out.
Old 03-11-2005 | 01:23 PM
10th Gear

ok, I figured it was a bad motor mount. How do I go about figuring out which one it is? I dont really want to buy all new motor mounts considering they are so damned expensive...
Old 03-14-2005 | 10:06 AM
10th Gear

how do I figure out WHICH motor mount is bad? Is there a process of ilimination? Maybe someone who has done this before?
Old 03-16-2005 | 11:10 AM
7th Gear

Ufmwk, I got the same exact problem. I took it to the dealer yesterday for warranty on exhaust & they said my mounts were bad. I asked which one and they said they change both - ("not w/ my money, way too much"). Anyway if the rain lets up today I'm going to try eliminating the vacuum lines solenoid and tap them both into a solid vacuum source. Then disconnect each one individually and see if I get a diff. The other idea I have is way different. But I'm wondering why the new TSX, ect. have solid mounts, not vacuum assist. If I take out the old ones, I'm going to try and machine a new type solid rubber mount. Its easier said than done I know, but $ 260 a pop does not interest me. If it works I'll let every one know. I can get CL mounts for 49 each and they are vacuum, so why aren't ours?
Roark
Old 10-16-2006 | 07:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Roarkster
Ufmwk, I got the same exact problem. I took it to the dealer yesterday for warranty on exhaust & they said my mounts were bad. I asked which one and they said they change both - ("not w/ my money, way too much"). Anyway if the rain lets up today I'm going to try eliminating the vacuum lines solenoid and tap them both into a solid vacuum source. Then disconnect each one individually and see if I get a diff. The other idea I have is way different. But I'm wondering why the new TSX, ect. have solid mounts, not vacuum assist. If I take out the old ones, I'm going to try and machine a new type solid rubber mount. Its easier said than done I know, but $ 260 a pop does not interest me. If it works I'll let every one know. I can get CL mounts for 49 each and they are vacuum, so why aren't ours?
Roark

Where can you get the CL mounts for 49?