what do you like and don't like in your 1st gen Acura TL 3.2/2.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
what do you like and don't like in your 1st gen Acura TL 3.2/2.5

I drive a 1997 3.2 TL. I think everything is perfect for me except for some location for switches/buttons like
1> Small horn buttons-If you wanna honk at somebody sometimes its hard to locate.
2>Sunroof switch- Its impossible to see the switch in your normal driving position.
3>Wiered cup holders-And only for front seats!!
4>Rear seats dont fold down-So you can't use it for carrying some large items like I had to force my TV stand onto back seats and shut the doors couple of months back and i broke my door panels..
5>Gas mileage is I think just fine. I average about 21.2 MPG's OVERALL, driving 75+ on freeway and driving like crazy in city. And I think that's alright for that old car and I use 89 octane only never tried premium.
Now things I love about it:-
1> First of all i love clean and simple lines. I am in love with this car.
2> Seats are very comfortable for long journey(thats what i feel)
3> Love my smooth 3.2 V6 you can't hear that when driving but wind noise ruins all that.
4> Love frameless windows, not everybody has those.

I can't think of any more..
What do you guys like and don't like about yours...??
Mine has those typical 1st gen problems like burned out D3 D4 lights, slow windows and so on.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, I don't like the lack of rear seat leg room, but from your dislikes list:

1) I don't honk.
2) I've got that down, as it becomes second-nature the longer you own the car.
3) I don't usually use them for cups anyhow. Besides, I have two cup tables, one for the front and one for the back. I use those.
4) That's my excuse for not helping people move.
5) My gas mileage is great, feels good to compare to other "gas-sipping" cars: "You get 30MPG and make only 160 crank?" A 4MPG hit for 100 extra horses and torque up the ass (in my case) is fine by me.

Let me add that I do find it a bit of an insult when people assume I have a 2.5. I'm not knocking the UA2s, but I've had a few people try to argue with me about how my motor has to be a 5 cylinder because first gens only came in I5, . Those same people then go on to ask how did I do a 5-lug conversion and if I would swap a Type-S motor in. :shakehead But, at least those guys know it's a first gen. Other people either think it's an RL or, worse, not know what the hell it is. That last one is a love/hate, though. Glad that it's a rare car but kinda wish they'd stop asking me what it was.

On to your loves:

1) I agree.
2) I agree.
3) Well, my 3.2 was smooth, but my 3.5 is even smoother, .
4) I love them, too, but I've gotten so used to them, I usually bust my lip on the window frames of any other car I drive.

Adding:

1) The look on peoples' faces when you tell them it has heated seats.
2) The look on peoples' faces when you tell them it has heated mirrors.
3) The look on peoples' faces when you show them the ceiling mounted mid-ranges.
4) The look on peoples' faces when you tell them that the car with all of the above is a '96.
5) Walking people in their swapped hatches with their girlfriends inside recording, .

~Cheers~
Old 07-27-2008, 06:45 AM
BLUE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like that my '96 car still looks reasonably good after nearly 200,000 miles and is usually very reliable.

I don't like the cost of replacement parts!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Go90go
Well, I don't like the lack of rear seat leg room, but from your dislikes list:

1) I don't honk.
2) I've got that down, as it becomes second-nature the longer you own the car.
3) I don't usually use them for cups anyhow. Besides, I have two cup tables, one for the front and one for the back. I use those.
4) That's my excuse for not helping people move.
5) My gas mileage is great, feels good to compare to other "gas-sipping" cars: "You get 30MPG and make only 160 crank?" A 4MPG hit for 100 extra horses and torque up the ass (in my case) is fine by me.

Let me add that I do find it a bit of an insult when people assume I have a 2.5. I'm not knocking the UA2s, but I've had a few people try to argue with me about how my motor has to be a 5 cylinder because first gens only came in I5, . Those same people then go on to ask how did I do a 5-lug conversion and if I would swap a Type-S motor in. :shakehead But, at least those guys know it's a first gen. Other people either think it's an RL or, worse, not know what the hell it is. That last one is a love/hate, though. Glad that it's a rare car but kinda wish they'd stop asking me what it was.

On to your loves:

1) I agree.
2) I agree.
3) Well, my 3.2 was smooth, but my 3.5 is even smoother, .
4) I love them, too, but I've gotten so used to them, I usually bust my lip on the window frames of any other car I drive.

Adding:

1) The look on peoples' faces when you tell them it has heated seats.
2) The look on peoples' faces when you tell them it has heated mirrors.
3) The look on peoples' faces when you show them the ceiling mounted mid-ranges.
4) The look on peoples' faces when you tell them that the car with all of the above is a '96.
5) Walking people in their swapped hatches with their girlfriends inside recording, .

~Cheers~
In my case alot of people don't even know if this car exists....
and about honking sometimes some jerks on freeway piss me off.. so what else you can do....I was driving down in city and i barely had 1 car difference and a bitch almost hit me to get into that space to turn left from next lights. HONK...
Old 07-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I don't like the frameless windows. Yes they look cool, they increase your visibility somewhat thanks to the slim construction.. but they eventually require a 2 hour adjustment process or else you get all kinds of wind noise.

It should have come with a Legend strut bar standard.
It should have had a manual option.

Otherwise, for the price and era, it was a great car.

I've updated it for the 21st century just a bit and I STILL have it and drive it everyday. Thats saying quite a bit considering I've been through about 5 cars in the past 5 years
Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
needs MT... that is all i ask... vented seats for the summer would have been nice too...
Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnhs81
I drive a 1997 3.2 TL. I think everything is perfect for me except for some location for switches/buttons like
1> Small horn buttons-If you wanna honk at somebody sometimes its hard to locate.
2>Sunroof switch- Its impossible to see the switch in your normal driving position.
3>Wiered cup holders-And only for front seats!!
4>Rear seats dont fold down-So you can't use it for carrying some large items like I had to force my TV stand onto back seats and shut the doors couple of months back and i broke my door panels..
5>Gas mileage is I think just fine. I average about 21.2 MPG's OVERALL, driving 75+ on freeway and driving like crazy in city. And I think that's alright for that old car and I use 89 octane only never tried premium.
Now things I love about it:-
1> First of all i love clean and simple lines. I am in love with this car.
2> Seats are very comfortable for long journey(thats what i feel)
3> Love my smooth 3.2 V6 you can't hear that when driving but wind noise ruins all that.
4> Love frameless windows, not everybody has those.

I can't think of any more..
What do you guys like and don't like about yours...??
Mine has those typical 1st gen problems like burned out D3 D4 lights, slow windows and so on.
i did the same with the gas but now i used premium. THe car drivers so much better with premium. It moves off faster and shifts alot smoother
Old 07-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my case alot of people don't even know if this car exists....
and about honking sometimes some jerks on freeway piss me off.. so what else you can do....I was driving down in city and i barely had 1 car difference and a bitch almost hit me to get into that space to turn left from next lights. HONK...
that is true. when if orst had gotten the car some ppl were like what kind of car is that and some of my friends thought it was an older lexus lol
Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kev16
that is true. when if orst had gotten the car some ppl were like what kind of car is that and some of my friends thought it was an older lexus lol
The security person at my work was just checking parking lot. I was on my break sitting in my car enjoying music. He came to me and we started a conversation about cars..
HIM-wasup
ME-NM on my break.
HIM-You all drive some nice cars dude.(he said that cuz some other guys have some caddy's, 350z, pontiac GTO, BMW 3 series and so on)
ME-yeah(i was like where the hell he came from)
HIM- I used to drive a Buick(i forgot cars name) when i was your age. (all of a sudden) what car is that?? a Vigor??
ME- No, its a TL.
HIM-What year is it??
ME-1997
HIM-what?? I thought Acura started making TL in 1999.(But he knows about CL and RL??)

The conversation wasn't exactly the same. Thats all I remember.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
I like the fact that my 2.5TL has an odd 5 cylinder honda engine . Lots of people are surprised that honda even made 5 cylinder engines. This really makes it a unique car.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
- I guess it looks alright
- stock stereo sounds good

dislikes:
- stupid design of heated seat switches. I cant even see them under the damn hand brake.
- slow
- OBDII
- Auto
- Suspension makes it feel like a boat.
- small trunk
- no legroom
- weird feeling seats
- tiny awkward shaped headrests
- shitty door handles
- slow windows
- ugly dash
- ugly stock rims
- crappy resale value
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
- stupid design of heated seat switches. I cant even see them under the damn hand brake.
- slow
- Auto
- small trunk
- no legroom
- weird feeling seats
- shitty door handles
- slow windows
- ugly dash
- ugly stock rims
- crappy resale value
Weird, but I kinda disagree with almost everything you wrote. I know that some of the design choices(such as button placement) are not very practical, but it's much better than most cars I've driven, and the rims on 90's cars were mostly ugly as shit, the one's on the 1st gen are pretty good in my opinion. You also have to consider that these cars are over 10 years old, back then normal cars didn't have 300-350 hp and they were smaller. Compare the engines in the TL to some newer small cars, such as jetta's or pontiac g6's, the latter ones are very common everyday cars that have more power than our old "premium" cars.. Also, if you compare our TL's to the 3rd gen or even the upcoming 4th gen, you see that latter ones are bigger.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DAiNiUS
Weird, but I kinda disagree with almost everything you wrote. I know that some of the design choices(such as button placement) are not very practical, but it's much better than most cars I've driven, and the rims on 90's cars were mostly ugly as shit, the one's on the 1st gen are pretty good in my opinion. You also have to consider that these cars are over 10 years old, back then normal cars didn't have 300-350 hp and they were smaller. Compare the engines in the TL to some newer small cars, such as jetta's or pontiac g6's, the latter ones are very common everyday cars that have more power than our old "premium" cars.. Also, if you compare our TL's to the 3rd gen or even the upcoming 4th gen, you see that latter ones are bigger.
Yes, I do know what rims from the 90's look like, there are much nicer ones out there. Slow... theres no reason for it to be slower than a G2 legend which has the same motor.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
- I guess it looks alright
- stock stereo sounds good

dislikes:
- slow
- OBDII
- Auto
- small trunk
- no legroom
- weird feeling seats
- shitty door handles
- slow windows
- ugly dash
- ugly stock rims
- crappy resale value
Dude you don't like a single thing about it!! I don't know why and HOW you drive one??? I had 2003 Accord I sold that one because I never liked its seats and its golden color. I loved that cars look though.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dude you don't like a single thing about it!! I don't know why and HOW you drive one??? I had 2003 Accord I sold that one because I never liked its seats and its golden color. I loved that cars look though.
its my dad's 2nd car, i daily drive it. lol I actually told him not to get it back in 06 or whenever it was, but he was like its cheap and its a good deal, blah blah blah and bought it. I discovered the resale value part when he told me to try selling the car. Even my dad doesnt like the car. So far... nobody has emailed me about the car.