wet underside

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wet underside

so i changed my oil today for first time on TL (very first time was dealer done). might i tell you that the filter is in a very stupid spot. i read that it's super hard to get to, etc. but just finding it was the hard part for me. once i found it, i just put in the left hand and unscrewed it. i didn't think it was that hard. anyhoo.

while i was under the car for my search, i saw that the underside was very wet, with oil. when i went to take the oil pan bolt out, i put a 17mm on it and it felt like it was slipping. so i put a 16 mm on it and it didn't fit of course, but it turned a bit. i was like "wtf mate?". so i just started to turn it. turned out it was VERY loose. like....bout to come off condition. i wonder if the dealership torqued it to what is specified on the oil pan (how cool is that?). anyways, y'all think that that could be what the oil is from? i mean it stretched back to nearly the first cat...where it was wet. i can't see how oil, even leaking from up top, could make its way that far back. and i'd noticed some drippage the other day since my car sat for a few days without moving. but now, i see none. did i fix it?? well, any comments are welcome.

oh, btw....detailed my car today too. i love this thing!! everything comes out with either some sort of socket, screwdriver or just pops out! well, i guess anything does, but i guess it's just very straightforward with very few hidden bolts, screws, etc. i popped the shifter cover off and cleaned that lickity split. i was impressed.

anyways....thanks for reading my babble!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the oil could be there from leaking out from the plug I would think, I would definately keep an eye on it though and make sure it isn't coming from someplace else. Keep in mind that if it is starting to come out while your driving, its got a whole lot of wind blowing it backwards, plus the momentum of the car moving forwards.

I've found that too about the car, things are pretty straightfoward when it comes to removal, the Volvo I owned before this though, that thing had more hidden torx screws then I care to remember.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i actually need to start replacing some of the parts (clips, etc.) that are broken on the car. i hope they are as easy to find as they are to remove.