Weird sounds and their origins

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird sounds and their origins

To all of you that posted about the weird clank noise coming from shifting from park to reverse, is not your transmission is actually one of the ball bearing in your front upper control arm that is worm or breaking.

another noise that was reported like a shirp or a birdy or a metal tapping sound coming from one of the wheels, check that the clips that retain your brake pads are there. If they are gone your break pads will hit the metal cylinder and make that noise. Those clips look like the metal parts of the floopy disks, they are cheap about a dollar each.

If you are feeling metal touch metal when you accelerate from a stand still on your brake pedal, or you feel like your transmission is shifting very hard, don{t worry is not your transmission again, is the transmission mount, check under the front driverside wheel youl see a metal bar that looks like your jack with a big bolt in the middle, check the rubber around it if its cracked you need a new one. Also the reason for this cracking is because your left front engine mount tends to loosen the screws that fasten it to the engine until they fall out. That causes your engine to jump towards the driver when you accelerate in D. Make sure the bolts are there and tighten them.

Hope this helps
Old 11-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is somewhat related to this topic. I dont hear a weird clanking noise as you put it, but after reversing out of my driveway, as I begin to pull forward, I hear a short rubbing noise coming from what seems the front tire area. Not sure what it is, but anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a weird scratching/metallic noize when I would slow down, it was a screech almost, not a tapping like you described, but it was actually rust build-up on the outter edge of the rotors and was scraping the caliper (?? thing that holds the brake pads). Actually, its starting again, have to find a permanant (and free) way to fix it.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
I had a weird scratching/metallic noize when I would slow down, it was a screech almost, not a tapping like you described, but it was actually rust build-up on the outter edge of the rotors and was scraping the caliper (?? thing that holds the brake pads). Actually, its starting again, have to find a permanant (and free) way to fix it.
not to question your judment or anything...but u sure that metallic noise isn't the brake wear indicator?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered Driver

I bust the rust away, and the noize goes away. The rust comes back, the noize comes back.

I've had the dealership look at it too, they wanted to resurface my rotors (and new pads too I'm quite sure).