Time for some real advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007 | 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Time for some real advice

Time for some real advice from the pros…

I have a 1997 2.5 TL
Lately, I feel that the car is not performing up to its capability. It’s very slow to response to acceleration. It’s not that it reves or something, but takes few seconds longer to get up to that speed, It feels that the really have to press harder on the gas pedal. I also understand that it has 220k on it.

Recently, I have changed tranny filter and fluid.
I also put in new spark plugs. New radiator and secondary 02 sensor. I changed the plugs wire about 20k miles ago with good quality NGKs. PCV valve was changed also.

I have an issue, the engine / piston ring leaks very little oil to # 5 and # 6 spark plug. I don’t know if that’s the reason I am loosing power.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Also, can some one recommend a better quality spark plug?
Old 03-07-2007 | 11:17 AM
Htown slab rider

I'm having the same issue which i resolve by warming up my vehicle before i drive it each morning, but i donno though hop[efully someone knows the real fix to this problem
Old 03-07-2007 | 11:17 AM
Team Owner

First do a Seafoam treatment- see 2nd gen - Seafoamed the ol TL

NGK is fine

Oil on the plugs will make it run bad- you can put one of the "spark plug extender/oil cover" on those plugs (new ones)
it is a shroud that keeps the oil that drips into the cylinder when parked-from splashing on the plug at start up- and then the oil bakes onto the plug and car runs like ptttttt
Old 03-07-2007 | 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
First do a Seafoam treatment- see 2nd gen - Seafoamed the ol TL

NGK is fine

Oil on the plugs will make it run bad- you can put one of the "spark plug extender/oil cover" on those plugs (new ones)
it is a shroud that keeps the oil that drips into the cylinder when parked-from splashing on the plug at start up- and then the oil bakes onto the plug and car runs like ptttttt
Do you know where can I find this extender?
What is exactly they are called?

thanks
Old 03-07-2007 | 12:50 PM
10th Gear

you can go to any autoparts store to get those extenders. You can also get the fuel injectors cleaned and decarb the engine.
Old 03-07-2007 | 01:03 PM
Team Owner

Seafoam is also available at any parts store for 8 bucks- get 2 cans

The extenders are about the same for 2- ask parts person for help
Get 2 new plugs as well- need 1 step colder than normal with extenders

Doing the Seafoam procedure as outlined in the gen 2 thread will scour all the gunk from inside the fuel injectors, valves, piston tops etc. You put some in the oil to clean the bottem end and some in the tank to really clean the injector spray pattern- the rest goes in the maifold vac line right into the engine.

It is the SAME product used in the $99 cleaning at dealers and shops.
They just pour it in with a gallon of gas, hook into the injector inlet and
run for 20 to 30 minutes.

Do it yourself- everyone should
Old 03-07-2007 | 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Seafoam is also available at any parts store for 8 bucks- get 2 cans

The extenders are about the same for 2- ask parts person for help
Get 2 new plugs as well- need 1 step colder than normal with extenders

Doing the Seafoam procedure as outlined in the gen 2 thread will scour all the gunk from inside the fuel injectors, valves, piston tops etc. You put some in the oil to clean the bottem end and some in the tank to really clean the injector spray pattern- the rest goes in the maifold vac line right into the engine.

It is the SAME product used in the $99 cleaning at dealers and shops.
They just pour it in with a gallon of gas, hook into the injector inlet and
run for 20 to 30 minutes.

Do it yourself- everyone should

thanks for the advice, keep them comming.

I was wondering where is the vac line for the 2.5 TL? A picture would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2007 | 02:59 PM
Highway Junkie

I'm nervous about Seafoamin' my '97 TL 3.2... the little grey rubber hose that I think is the right one runs up to another part of my engine nice n' tight and I worry about replacing it properly. Any advice for a not-so-enginey guy?
Old 03-07-2007 | 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Sorry- I am gen2 so slightly different
Should be a line coming from the back top of the engine that runs over to the fenderwell and connects to a plastic fitting and another hose. Thats on g2 cars

If you GENTLY remove this line and have the engine running a small suction will be felt.
Old 03-07-2007 | 10:01 PM
Safety Car

your air filter might be dirty. clean it or change it out for a new one.
Old 03-09-2007 | 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I have changed the air filter recently.

I seafoamed my car last night. Only ran 1/3 of it thru brake booster, car smoked like hell.
The CEL came on also. I hope it will turn off soon.
Old 03-09-2007 | 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Normal for CEL to come on as things are changing with the cleaning- it will go off
If it remains after 2 days- disconnect battery for 5 minutes- that should clear it

If you got big smoke on 1/3 can- which is the suggested amount,

Drive a few days then do the treatment again,ok to use 1/2 can or more and put the rest in a full tank of gas.

Some people think less fuel in tank makes it work better-BUT the intended way is a slower full cleaning of things thru tank, plus a blast - solvent clean by intake vac
Old 03-09-2007 | 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Normal for CEL to come on as things are changing with the cleaning- it will go off
If it remains after 2 days- disconnect battery for 5 minutes- that should clear it

Drive a few days then do the treatment again,ok to use 1/2 can or more and put the rest in a full tank of gas.

Some people think less fuel in tank makes it work better-BUT the intended way is a slower full cleaning of things thru tank, plus a blast - solvent clean by intake vac
thanks for your suggestion.
Old 03-09-2007 | 04:56 PM
Racer

Here are my thought:

1.) Try switching gas to Shell V-power.
2.) also try using a K&N drop in filter. Even better if you also remove the resonator beneath it.
Old 03-09-2007 | 05:02 PM
Racer

Sorry- I am gen2 so slightly different
Should be a line coming from the back top of the engine that runs over to the fenderwell and connects to a plastic fitting and another hose. Thats on g2 cars

If you GENTLY remove this line and have the engine running a small suction will be felt.

Are you referring to the PCV valve ?
Old 03-09-2007 | 05:54 PM
大日本帝国

Better to put it through the PCV than the brake booster, and to clear the CEL just disconnect your battery for 30 seconds. I would first pour the SeaFoam into a cup, then dip the PCV into it. Let the car suck enough to sputter and *almost* die, but don't let it die out. Once the idle comes back up to normal, let it suck some more. Repeat till half your can is empty. Shut down your car for 5 minutes, then start it up and drive around the block. Best to do this when it's dark and there arent' too many people around so no one thinks your car is on fire, hehe. That happened to me.

~Cheers~
Old 03-09-2007 | 06:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Go90go
Better to put it through the PCV than the brake booster, and to clear the CEL just disconnect your battery for 30 seconds. I would first pour the SeaFoam into a cup, then dip the PCV into it. Let the car suck enough to sputter and *almost* die, but don't let it die out. Once the idle comes back up to normal, let it suck some more. Repeat till half your can is empty. Shut down your car for 5 minutes, then start it up and drive around the block. Best to do this when it's dark and there arent' too many people around so no one thinks your car is on fire, hehe. That happened to me.

~Cheers~
HAHA good to know

im waiting to seafoam.. until i have to get my oil changed... i may do the intake and gas though.. but am waiting to do it all at once so ican REALLY feel the difference
Old 03-11-2007 | 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Seafoamed twice already.
I feel a big difference.
I will monitor the mpg and see if there's any significant gain.
Old 03-11-2007 | 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Blanco

Do the intake and gas tank now, and the oil right before you change it.
You will feel the differance right away, and more each day!

Read the beginning of this thread for details and leave the seafoam to sit at least 15 miutes so solvent really works in- then a good freeway blast to clean it all out
Old 03-12-2007 | 04:25 AM
Advanced

Blanco

Do the intake and gas tank now, and the oil right before you change it.
You will feel the differance right away, and more each day!

Read the beginning of this thread for details and leave the seafoam to sit at least 15 miutes so solvent really works in- then a good freeway blast to clean it all out
I told myself "stop being a lazy ass and go get the stuff already!" so i drive to the Schucks autos and guess what? the ENTIRE section of seafoam is sold out! LOL maybe they been readin these threads too...
Old 03-15-2007 | 11:05 PM
Advanced

Guys PCV is the plastic 'L' shape valve connected to the top part of the engine right? So basically the Seafoam gets mixed in the crankcase with oil? When do I change my oil after the Seafoam clean? And how much Seafoam goes in the gas tank and how much gas should be in the tank? Just making sure I got everything right.