Steering wheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005 | 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Steering wheel replacement

I looked, but really did not see what I need.
So, here it is..

I have a 97 2.5 TL, my steering wheel looks ugly with screatches. I need to buy / replace it. If I buy a used one, is it easy to do? Is there any write up or anybody recently have done one ? I know with the air bag, it is kind of tricky.
Any one know any place I can purchase one for resonable price ?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2005 | 06:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by meazz1
So, here it is..

I have a 97 2.5 TL, my steering wheel looks ugly with screatches. I need to buy / replace it. If I buy a used one, is it easy to do? Is there any write up or anybody recently have done one ? I know with the air bag, it is kind of tricky.

Thanks guys.
Ok, I forgot to mention that I bought those leather steering cover and let me know how it looks. I am not sure this is waht I want, it does not give the real stock look.

Here are some pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...23343498&idx=0

( this is first time hosting pic, let me know).
Old 07-23-2005 | 08:08 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

1st... Imageshack.us

2nd... That looks pretty cool... the "wood" (looks like wannabe wood or a darker tanned color...) looks pretty cool on the sides... sure its not crooked??? might be the angle...

I like it...
Old 07-23-2005 | 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

They make a replacement leather kit for the steering wheels...rather than a ring that just slips over the steering wheel and usually looks ugly, they make these leather strips you fold around the steering wheel and then have to"stitch" the pieces together, It gets really tight on the steering wheel and looks pretty "stock" look at any auto parts store...only the go for like 30 bucks
Old 07-23-2005 | 11:18 PM
Instructor

go here and u'll find everything you need to know about steering wheel, well for the wood part.
Old 07-24-2005 | 02:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spooky3ce
1st... Imageshack.us

2nd... That looks pretty cool... the "wood" (looks like wannabe wood or a darker tanned color...) looks pretty cool on the sides... sure its not crooked??? might be the angle...

I like it...
ok, I tried imageshack and here it is, let me know.

thnx

http://img349.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=f323aae01yh.jpg
Old 07-24-2005 | 10:55 AM
Str8 Rida

damn you TL-ridaz....u juz made me want that wood wheel all over again!!!! i had totally 4got about it now look whut you've done....ahhhh i juz cant pay $600 i wish i could ebay it or have surfing scotty sell me his *hint* *hint* ok sorry..meazz1 I kinda like that look its not so bad it would be my second choice from tha "real" wood 1. as long as the color matches closely..the pics wouldnt enlarge for me so i couldnt see them clearly
Old 07-24-2005 | 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeathaFace
damn you TL-ridaz....u juz made me want that wood wheel all over again!!!! i had totally 4got about it now look whut you've done....ahhhh i juz cant pay $600 i wish i could ebay it or have surfing scotty sell me his *hint* *hint* ok sorry..meazz1 I kinda like that look its not so bad it would be my second choice from tha "real" wood 1. as long as the color matches closely..the pics wouldnt enlarge for me so i couldnt see them clearly

lol...just letting people know there are other options. I had to choose $600 on wood steering wheel or hid. I went with HID instead, and believe me it's well worth it.
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:51 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Instructions

So, here it is..

Thanks guys.
The procedure is very easy. Disconnect battery and drain all remaining power in the lines by pushing the break or something.

Remove screws that that hold the wheel's trim together….the trim that covers the wires, exc. Inside your wheel.

Disconnect all wires to air bag, cruise, and horn.

Remove air bag

Purchase a "Sheering Wheel Puller" from AutoZone and remove steering wheel. Follow instructions closely.

Buy a pimped wheel and reverse above instructions...then admire your end result.... http://groups.msn.com/TLPhotos/shoeb...oto&PhotoID=12

HID would be really nice, but I love my wood wheel.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2005 | 05:00 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by LeathaFace
I'd love to help you ya out bro, but I love mine too much to give it up He's another shot of the wood wheel and my new chrome wheel(s)...just for kicks...I know, I know...

Wood:
http://groups.msn.com/TLPhotos/shoeb...oto&PhotoID=13

Chrome:
http://groups.msn.com/TLPhotos/shoeb...oto&PhotoID=19
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for all the instructions.
Old 07-26-2005 | 09:15 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
I'd love to help you ya out bro, but I love mine too much to give it up He's another shot of the wood wheel and my new chrome wheel(s)...just for kicks...I know, I know...

Wood:
http://groups.msn.com/TLPhotos/shoeb...oto&PhotoID=13

Chrome:
http://groups.msn.com/TLPhotos/shoeb...oto&PhotoID=19

I notice there are no cruise controls on that wheel... they dont sell wheels with the cruise control things?
Old 07-27-2005 | 06:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I just noticed it too, no cruise control, damn !!
Old 07-27-2005 | 08:21 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by DJBLAST
I notice there are no cruise controls on that wheel... they dont sell wheels with the cruise control things?
NO No.....there is. I just took the picture w/o it 1st b/c I thought it looked a little more clean. Are you kidding?!? I love my cruise! I used it every day! I probably wouldn't have bought one either if it didn't have a bracket for it...or I'd just make my own. Oh...and final cost (after you send in your wheel is only $400. You have to pay an up front $200 core deposit that gets refunded to you. FYI
Old 07-27-2005 | 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

NO No.....there is. I just took the picture w/o it 1st b/c I thought it looked a little more clean. Are you kidding?!? I love my cruise! I used it every day! I probably wouldn't have bought one either if it didn't have a bracket for it...or I'd just make my own. Oh...and final cost (after you send in your wheel is only $400. You have to pay an up front $200 core deposit that gets refunded to you. FYI
Ok, I am convinced, I am thinking of getting one.
I hope I don't mess it all up trying to do the work myself.
Old 07-28-2005 | 06:33 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Ok, I am convinced, I am thinking of getting one.
I hope I don't mess it all up trying to do the work myself.
You'll do fine. It took be about an hour to get it off w/o any instructions...just flying by the seat of my pants. Feel free to write w/ any questions
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

You'll do fine. It took be about an hour to get it off w/o any instructions...just flying by the seat of my pants. Feel free to write w/ any questions
Thanks for the offer.
If I come accross any issue, I will seek help from the good folks here.
Old 07-30-2005 | 09:50 PM
Instructor

did your SRS turns on when you take out the steering wheel?
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:11 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

yes, it did. I should have mentioned that. I have a buddy that worked for my local acura dealer who reset the code for me. If you guys do this procedure, take it to a body shop or something...call around 1st. I think it's about 25.00 to reset it at most places.
Old 08-01-2005 | 08:32 PM
Racer

HI,
yeah...
I emailed the new steering wheel seller and he now wanted $450.
I looked really nice except that in the pictures you guys posted.
Does the color of the new leather steering wheel with the wood and the old air bag unit color match?
Old 08-02-2005 | 08:49 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by Ysidro
HI,
yeah...
I emailed the new steering wheel seller and he now wanted $450.
I looked really nice except that in the pictures you guys posted.
Does the color of the new leather steering wheel with the wood and the old air bag unit color match?
The new leather is....new leather, so it's not as dark as our leather trim. I bought some tanning lotion that is really dark and that changed the color to match pretty close. The wood is a pretty close match, too (color), however it's (mine at least) is real wood grain so the wood pattern doesn't match but only us, the owners would probably notice.
Old 08-02-2005 | 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Has any one tried this?

I called them up and they charge $260.00 to do the steering wheel. They remove all old leather and reupholsted with new leather. $450.00 for leather and wood combinations.
Only catch is, you have to ship your wheel and it takes about a week.

http://www.american-stitches.com
Old 08-03-2005 | 08:51 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

So, here it is..

Thanks guys.
The whole airbag thing is a myth! Just unplug the battery (just to be safe) and unplug the clip. The airbag unit (the big square like part of your wheel that says "Acura" on it comes out w/ two bolts. VERY easy. I did this myself w/o and instructions which means that ANYONE can do it...and I did it in about 20 minutes. Just unscrew the little trim parts, disconnect the cruise and airbag wires, un bolt the airbag, un screw the cruise control screws, get a steering wheel puller and you're done. The wheel is off and goes back on just as easy.

Af far as a new wheel, I looked and looked on ebay for one but they are pretty rare. I think a new wheel from Acura runs about $300.00. I'd spent the extra $150. or whatever for a new wood one! Double check before you buy, though.
Old 08-03-2005 | 08:58 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Has any one tried this?

I called them up and they charge $260.00 to do the steering wheel. They remove all old leather and reupholsted with new leather. $450.00 for leather and wood combinations.
Only catch is, you have to ship your wheel and it takes about a week.

http://www.american-stitches.com

Sounds like a pretty good deal, only I paid $400, plus a $200 deposit (that got reimbursed to me) and they sent out a new wheel and then I sent mine back to them. So about the same deal only I wasn't out of a car for a week...
Old 08-04-2005 | 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

I found a couple of places (salvage yard) that have the 1997 2.5 TL steering wheel. I called them and the they assured me that the wheels are in very good conditions, no scratches or cut.
I bought one for $75.00 shipped.
Once it gets here, I will have the honor of chenging it out myself.

Surfingscotty, do I need a torx T30 bit bolt remover and a steering puller ? and that's it ?
Old 08-04-2005 | 11:33 AM
Racer

hi,
Do you mean, you'd found a place that sold you the wooden part for the steering wheel and you're going to DIY?

I was thinking alot about this wooden steering wheel thing for a few days now.
And realized $450+$250 refundable is too much for me. It probably be months before I can get my $250 back.
Back in 2004, the thing was price at $395 I think in this forum. Yeah, now I would buy it at that price. But at $450, I rather get a new Amp and subwoofers where its more practical.
I'll still find a way to get it for cheaper thought. Like find some vender that would sell me the wood part or just have to find one at a salvageyard and moddify them.
I analyzed the my steering wheel and noticed, to mod, I just need to unsow the leather part. take out the cushion, and get a dremel to cut the meat piece to fit the wood. Or if the wood is thin, I can just wrap the wood around the metal part. Apply Epoxy glue and stitch the leather back up.
Ah just a theory.
Old 08-04-2005 | 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ysidro
hi,
Do you mean, you'd found a place that sold you the wooden part for the steering wheel and you're going to DIY?

I was thinking alot about this wooden steering wheel thing for a few days now.
And realized $450+$250 refundable is too much for me. It probably be months before I can get my $250 back.
Back in 2004, the thing was price at $395 I think in this forum. Yeah, now I would buy it at that price. But at $450, I rather get a new Amp and subwoofers where its more practical.
I'll still find a way to get it for cheaper thought. Like find some vender that would sell me the wood part or just have to find one at a salvageyard and moddify them.
I analyzed the my steering wheel and noticed, to mod, I just need to unsow the leather part. take out the cushion, and get a dremel to cut the meat piece to fit the wood. Or if the wood is thin, I can just wrap the wood around the metal part. Apply Epoxy glue and stitch the leather back up.
Ah just a theory.
I am talking about the OEM. These are all used wheel came out of salvaged TLs.
Old 08-05-2005 | 03:54 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

I found a couple of places (salvage yard) that have the 1997 2.5 TL steering wheel. I called them and the they assured me that the wheels are in very good conditions, no scratches or cut.
I bought one for $75.00 shipped.

Surfingscotty, do I need a torx T30 bit bolt remover and a steering puller ? and that's it ?
If I remember correctly, (Seeing as how I did this several months ago) all you need is a phillips screw driver, a basic socket wrench set (I think I justed used one socket but I can't remember which one it was...very common metic I believe) and the puller. The puller (about $20.00) was the most ticky since I've never used one before. I kept cranking, and cranking until the upller strated to bend. I was like, "OH S***!" and backed it off and the wheel came right off. It's cake, dude. Very easy and once you do it once you'll be able to knock it out in like 10 minutes...if you ever had to do it again. Remember your SRS light will come on and will need to be reset. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2005 | 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

If I remember correctly, (Seeing as how I did this several months ago) all you need is a phillips screw driver, a basic socket wrench set (I think I justed used one socket but I can't remember which one it was...very common metic I believe) and the puller. The puller (about $20.00) was the most ticky since I've never used one before. I kept cranking, and cranking until the upller strated to bend. I was like, "OH S***!" and backed it off and the wheel came right off. It's cake, dude. Very easy and once you do it once you'll be able to knock it out in like 10 minutes...if you ever had to do it again. Remember your SRS light will come on and will need to be reset. Good luck!
thanks guy, I will try it next weekend.