Steering Wheel Removal Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:35 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Steering Wheel Removal Help!?

Since the new thread by Cali2.5TL was posted about the replacement wood steering wheels for our cars, I was wondering if anyone here know how to successfully remove the steering wheel/air bag without getting knocked out by it, or screwing anything up.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:17 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

got my new wheel in the mail today! It's sick! It doesn't match perfectly with our phoney wood trim, but it looks sweet...real wood. Anyway, since I haven't gotten any help on the removal I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow after work. I'll post photos later
Old 10-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just make sure you disconnect the battery, and go slow, and best of luck to you with it. Gonna take some pictures after?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck!!! everything goes fine...

now for the Jinx... Everytime i try something on or for the car it goes bad... lol... so whatever is left of my luck i give to you... God Speed my friend... let the force be with you...
Old 10-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Racer

all im gonna say is that your a brave sould...i wish u all the luck in the world
Old 10-13-2004, 09:21 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Dude, That doesn't help!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:34 AM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heh...I posted the instructions on the other thread. Let me copy it from the other thread. Hold on...

EDIT: Here ya go!!

Here ya go!! Straight from the service manual.

Steering Wheel Removal

Airbag Removal
SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations, precautions, and procedures in the SRS (section 24) before performing repairs or service.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable, then disconnect positive cable.

2. Remove the access panel from the steering wheel lower cover.

3. Disconnect the connector between the airbag and cable reel.

NOTE: Some SRS system connectors have a spring loaded lock. To release the lock, pull the spring-loaded sleeve toward the stop. Then pull the connector halves apart. Be sure to pull on the sleeve and not on the connector half itself.

4. Remove the covers.

5. Remove the Torx T30 bit bolts, then remove the airbag assembly.

6. Disconnect the connectors from the horn and cruise control switches.

7. Remove the steering wheel bolt.

8. Loosely install the steering wheel bolt to the column shaft, then install a commercially-available steering wheel puller to the steering wheel to remove it.

9. Remove the steering wheel bolt and steering wheel from the column shaft.

CAUTION:
• Do not tap on the steering wheel or the steering column shaft when removing the steering wheel.

• If you thread the puller bolts into the wheel hub more than five threads, the bolts will hit the cable reel and damage it. To prevent this, install a pair of jam nuts five threads up on each puller bolt.

Good luck!!! Don't forget to post some pics!!! Just remember to wait about 5 minutes after disconnecting the battery for the SRS system to discharge before starting anything.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:04 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Okak, just got it installed! It looks and feels great! The wood part of the wheel is a little thicker than stock which gives you German built feel, but it's cool! I'll take photos soon!

As for the above post, everything is pretty acurate, except step 4. You need to remove the cruise control set up by pulling (pretty hard) on the rear cover that goes over the cruise contol buttons. Under neath are two screws. You might not need to take off the cruise, I'd try not to. The Torx bit is visiable (didn't notice until I began putting everything back together) and you can probably unscrew it and keep the cruise intact. (The wheel went back together perfectly except There are no screw whole to hook the cruise back to the wheel. (This is why I recommend trying to keep your hands off the cruise set up) I installed it at night so I'm going to take another look tomorrow during the day to see where I messed up)

I bought my steering wheel puller at Auto Zone for $20.00 Don't crank on it too much though. I over did it a little (and because I was installing it at night I couldn't see that...) and bent the screws that it comes with. They came out okay, though. If the wheel doesn't pop off after it get's pretty tough to turn, back it off and the wheel should fall right off, just as mine did.

Don't worry about the air bag, it's no sweat. It's all packed into a little bundle that is very easy to remove/install. Just those two torx screws hold it in.

Once the wheel is off, just transfer the wires and plastic insert into the new wheel and run your wires accordingly.

Hope this helps. It's pretty easy to do. It took me a little over two hours because I was very careful trying to figure out how to use the puller, and was working at night. It would probably take me about 45-1 hour now in the day light. Good luck! Post if you have any questions.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:33 AM
Racer

Hey Scotty,

POST PICTURES PLEASE!!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:56 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

I got a woody!

Okay, here's the finished project!
http://www.msnusers.com/TLPhotos/sho...oto&PhotoID=12

http://www.msnusers.com/TLPhotos/sho...oto&PhotoID=13

I figured out the cruise control problem. There is a little metal frame that mounts to the wheel that I over looked (in the dark). I"m going to take the air bag out again and reinstall the cruise.

feel free to post/pm me with any questions.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Racer

Scotty,

I just have to tell you that your Wood Steering Wheel looks GREAT!!!!!!

You have made up my mind for me...I am buying this steering wheel. I can't get over how much it changes the look of our cars. I was going to get a wood looking cover, but it looked so cheap IRL. Anyway, thanks for the pics!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Air Bag Warning!

Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
Okay, here's the finished project!
http://www.msnusers.com/TLPhotos/sho...oto&PhotoID=12

http://www.msnusers.com/TLPhotos/sho...oto&PhotoID=13

I figured out the cruise control problem. There is a little metal frame that mounts to the wheel that I over looked (in the dark). I"m going to take the air bag out again and reinstall the cruise.

feel free to post/pm me with any questions.

For those of you who are going to change out your wheel yourself, be aware that the SRS light will come and stay on, which means your air bag won't work. You have to have the code reset. A body shop, dealer, or car customizing shop can probably do this for you. I think it's about $50.00 or so. Luckily I have a friend at the dealer who reset it for free! I hooked him up with like $10.00 or so after he refused me like 20 times. Small price to pay for someone being cool, you know? So try and find some who helps you out, write a letter of recommendation and you're set.

My buddy also said that like 6 guys walked by the car (while in the drive up service garage) and each did like tripple takes checking out the wheel! You ought to get one, guys! Very classy.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Instructor

No need to go to dealer to have it reset

My SRS light came on bout last year, it was so annoying. I took it to the dealer, they said it'z $150 just to inspect. And I asked a few mechanic they said to disconnect the battery and then connect it again. Well, I did search online and it told me to use the paper clip to reset the SRS. I don't exactly remembered how to reset it, but I'll look into it and post some directions for u guys. If you find anything online sayin using the paper clip. You should try it, it works for me.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Instructor

No need to go to dealer to have it reset

My SRS light came on bout last year, it was so annoying. I took it to the dealer, they said it'z $150 just to inspect. And I asked a few mechanic they said to disconnect the battery and then connect it again. Well, I did search online and it told me to use the paper clip to reset the SRS. I don't exactly remembered how to reset it, but I'll look into it and post some directions for u guys. If you find anything online sayin using the paper clip. You should try it, it works for me.