steering pump problem big time!!!help pls

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering pump problem big time!!!help pls

-----Ok so lets see if i can make this come out clear. This is what happened. I took my car to my normal mechanic who has worked on nothing but imports for the past 30ish years (Benz/VW/Honda/Acura/BMW, etc.) Point is that i trust this man. I took my car to have the timing belt and water pump changed out along with all other belts. Probably paid too much was like 860.

------So i get my car back and my power steering pump or something linked to it will not hold power steering fluid. It is making lots of noise and the fluid in the reservoir is gargling. My mechanic tested it and put more honda power steering fluid in it and it just kept sucking it up and spitting it back out. He checked the hoses which are fine and the reservoir is A-ok. He suspects the power steering pump may be going out. When i drove it back it worked but was obnoxious the whole way back. He told me that he was baffled. Said that normally when the power steering pump goes out it just simply leaks and goes kapoot. He does not know what to recommend, since charging to replace the power steering pump when it may be fine is silly.

--------There are no close Acura dealerships or certified mechanics for atleast 100 miles. So a second opinion is out. He said he is calling an Acura place to see if they might know something. on top of all this, i believe my battery died because my car wont start, just clicks, and lights look weak. Bah Humbug this crap is pissing me off. To add to it my girlfriend telling me i am spending too much on my car. Well sorry for the long essay and rant. Please help if u guys can. Go90go, i hope you have the million dollar answer or colt45!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Lights diming with a click can be due to a loose positive cable. Now, about the pump, I've never heard of anything like that, but to you think it's possible that a couple hoses were reversed? Maybe the output from the pump is colliding with the return in the reservoir? Is there any fluid going onto the floor?

$860 is a good price, I think. I paid about that much, I think I paid $860 plus custom belts, though, so an additional $40 to Gates. That doesn't factor in the lightened and size-reduced crank pulley which ran me about $200+.

~Cheers~

P.S. OT, but I had to type this post three friggin' times. Japanese keyboards have their symbols placed in COMPLETELY different locations, i.e., an apostrophe is Shift+7...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Noise could be air sucked in from the suction return leg. Also I've heard of enough dirt obstructing the inlet screen inside the reservoir to cause suction return starvation, which causes same problem. Check hoses, connections, and reservoir carefully.

Your mechanic may be playing dumb here, if he damaged the PS pump during Timiing Belt R&R. Pump is not removed, but the PS belt must be removed which requires loosening the PS mount bolts/nuts. I don't see how he could have damaged, but it's a lot of coincidence.

good luck
Old 10-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He might have taken the reservoir out and has gotten the return hose switched.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Instructor

thanks for quick replies guys! Well it was the battery and i replaced it and that part is fixed. I talke to my mechanic, and he did not remove hoses, so the switched idea should be thrown out. i forgot to mention the fluid is bubbling over the top basically. the power steering pump itself seems to fine. I talked to him and he had called the Honda dealership and talked with their head mechanic who has heard of things like this before. It is something to do with a seal and hose. I post more when i know the specifics
And Go90go why do u have a japanese keyboard, does it get that much use....kinda makes me feel lazy for not being bilingual.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I was typing on the JDM laptop. I'm on another Japanese laptop right now, but one with a US keyboard.

I remember when I used to tell everyone to swap batteries first. That would've solved the problem, hehe.

~Cheers~

P.S. What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

P.P.S. I am more than trilingual, .
Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Instructor

haha good joke! Well it ended up being the return hose from reservoir, the hose and o-ring had caused air to seap in or something like that. My mechanic did his homework and called a Honda dealership to figure out problem. Ended up costing a whopping 87 bucks. It is very nice to have my car back, was riding my bike around mostly and borrowing girlfriends car.

p.s. go90go , keep the car forever! (different post i realize)
Old 10-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
So- cars you want to run forever need maitenance and when they do - every 50 or 100k, its a few things, thats just owning a car!
You would spend WAY more making payments on something that goes down in value every month- pretty much like girlfriends!
Use the chart of level of pleasure on the vertical versus amount of cash spent- where does the TL compare to the girl.
You will have that TL long after shew gets tired of being second in your life to a car!!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
After any belt change its possible they are too tight or too loose
plus they stretch as they break in