SRS Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 AM
1996 2.5TL procurer's car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS Light

So yeah my red SRS light have been lit up now for a while now. Do any of you guys know what it means exactely? Is it just to notify me that I need to get them checked (after a certain mileage?) or is it that they will not deploy at all if I have an accident?

My dealership said that they automatically need to be changed, but I don't trust them very much since a few fishy diagnosis/conclusions in the past..

PS: Used eBay airbags would'nt be the greatest idea.... right?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotfortier
So yeah my red SRS light have been lit up now for a while now. Do any of you guys know what it means exactely? Is it just to notify me that I need to get them checked (after a certain mileage?) or is it that they will not deploy at all if I have an accident?

My dealership said that they automatically need to be changed, but I don't trust them very much since a few fishy diagnosis/conclusions in the past..

PS: Used eBay airbags would'nt be the greatest idea.... right?
My srs also came on one time.

before you go and change anything out, I would pay the dealer to read the code and tell you exactly what is the problem. A regular ODB II code reader will not work for SRS.

If the light comes on, it will disable the air bag deployment in case of an accident.

Dealer charged me $80.00 to read the code.
They mentioned that the air bag was defective and wanted $900.00+ to replace it. I bought a good used airbag from a junkyard and put it in my self. That did not solve the problem.
I finally figured out that the cable reel, right underneath the steering wheel was bad. I paid $106.00 and got that from the dealer and installed it myself.

Everything is good now.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Call Acura of Canada and ask if there is a special extended warranty on the SRS system.
In the states- that light is often failure if an important sensor and the warranty is 10 years 150k miles. Because its a safety issue.
If the light is ON- the airbags system is OFF
You do not replace the airbags on time basis- if they are ever deployed-inflated, thats when you replace
Ebay airbads- ha!!- may as well fill it with newspaper and used shoes---this has actually been found in many salvage-recovered vehicles- airbags replaced with nothing but paper under the cover
IN addition- the airbags are specific to VIN numbers of car- the factory makes a small change to something- and now the parts are not interchangeable. They figured out that is good for their profits- and reduces some auto theft.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks alot for the precisions guys. Now I know what to expect!

meazz1: So what do you think was the original problem, the airbag itself of the cable reel? And what do you mean by defective? Like was the reel visually damaged or you figured out it was in cause by logic? When I turn my steering wheel fast, I can hear/feel a grindingish noise, I don't know if it's related.. Anyways thanks again for helping!

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Ebay airbads- ha!!- may as well fill it with newspaper and used shoes
I actually kinda like the idea of getting a pair of shoes thrown to my face under high pressure in addition of a head on accident!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks alot for the precisions guys. Now I know what to expect!

meazz1: So what do you think was the original problem, the airbag itself of the cable reel? And what do you mean by defective? Like was the reel visually damaged or you figured out it was in cause by logic? When I turn my steering wheel fast, I can hear/feel a grindingish noise, I don't know if it's related.. Anyways thanks again for helping!

I actually kinda like the idea of getting a pair of shoes thrown to my face under high pressure in addition of a head on accident!

I did this about 1 1/2 yr ago. Few days ago, I was hearing the light grinding noise as well. I removed the steering wheel, removed the cable reel and there's spring mechanism that turns on and off signal light. The grease around the spring somehow became completely dry. I regressed it and all is good again.

Now, I can remove the steering wheel, airbag with my eyes closed. I have done it some many time.(lol).
Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Nice that's good to know too, I might take a look for those springs this week to see if they need some greasyness.

But otherwise, did you isolated the cause of the SRS light? Was it the defective cable reel, or the airbag itself that was bad?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice that's good to know too, I might take a look for those springs this week to see if they need some greasyness.

But otherwise, did you isolated the cause of the SRS light? Was it the defective cable reel, or the airbag itself that was bad?
The cable reel was bad.

Now I remember, I read it in a forum somewhere when I was trying to fix my SRS issue, that if it was not the air bag, it could be a bad cable reel.

I would suggest, get it read by the dealer. That way you know where to start your troubleshooting from.

If it's the air bag, it's very easy to do, if you are somewhat DIY person.

Let me know.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U in Mtl, u Dealer would charge u about 500+ $, The warranty is only 5 years some xxx k, thata all they will say.