Springs, once again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003 | 07:50 AM
giggity giggity giggity

Question Springs, once again...

Since springtime is soming up, I am thinking about gettin' the eibach prokit. I don't have rims yet, but those will come later in spring, when there is no chance for snow. Question is, would I have to get an alignment, camber kit, shocks, anything more if I get the prokit? I have a 2.5 if that makes any difference. I have looked at previous posts and some people say yes to everything I listed, some say yes to some of te things I listed, and some people say no to everything. I just would like a answer that pertains to me in my situation. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2003 | 08:09 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up Eibach Prokits

I have a 98 TL 2.5 and I installed Prokits on my car. You will not need a camber kit. You shold get an alignment after installing them to assure that everything is within specification. After I did mine, I found that my rear wheels had very slight camber (top of wheels tilt inwards). Rather than buying a $30 "shim kit" from the tire place, I used 1/8-3/16" washers to push out the suspension arm on the rear wheels. How did I know to use 1/8-3/16" washers? I asked the guy at the tire place to give me the specifics of the shim kit he was trying to sell me. He told that the kit comes with two "shims" for each rear wheel...a 1/8" thick shim and a 3/16" thick shim. So figuring out which wheel had the worst camber, I used one of the heavier thickness washer from my garage (3/16" thick) and a lighter one (1/8" thick) for the side that wasn't so bad. Email me if I've confused the hell out of you. Otherwise, good luck!

Conteez

PS...You'll like the ride with the Prokits. However, I would recomend changing your shcks/struts while you have everything off the car, if you have the $. Go to something more durable and heavier duty because the stock (OEM) ones will wear quick (because of the lessened travel due to the shorter Eibach spring). They'll be fine for a while, but in the long run, you'd be better off changiing them initially. I've had my OEM struts with the Eibachs for 6 months and I wish I was smarter when I went with the Eibachs.
Old 03-01-2003 | 11:52 AM
tre
Racer

i have the prokit and i didn't need any type of camber kit - and he is right, the prokit rides awesome, you will love how much better your car handles.
Old 03-01-2003 | 10:29 PM
Safety Car

well i just came back from a TL/CL meet. i found out that if you drop your car say....1.5" or more then you must get a camber kit but if the drop isn't that much (1.5" or less) then an alignment will do.

tre, how long have you had your prokit?? you dont notice any worn out treads on one side of your tire???

conteez: how did you know your back tire was still out of alignment?
Old 03-02-2003 | 09:45 AM
Advanced

Hey TLBaller

I knew my rear camber was out of tolerance after I had an alignment done. The alignment report that the shop prints out gives you the allowable "spread" or tolerances AND it gives you, of course, your readings. So what I did was simply ask the mechanic what "shim" he would use on each side to correct the camber....either the 1/8" thick shim or the 3/16" thick shim, or both put together. After he told me it would be one shim per side, I told him I'd think about coming back to buy the shim kit. Then I went to Home Depot or Lowes to buy big enough washers to fit around the bolt that hold the rear arm to the car. Again, these washers pushed that arm out just enough to correct the camber. BEAR IN MIND, I was also told that if I had to use both shims (1/8" + 3/16"= .3125") I would have to rplace the bolts with longer ones (which are included in the shim kit). So if you have to use .3125" worth of shims, you might as well buy the $30 shim kit, so you don't have to search the world for the right bolts.

If I was real concerned, I could've taken it back to be re-aligned. That way I'd be sure that my camber problem was resolved. However, I felt like it was cool. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2003 | 09:46 AM
Advanced

Lightbulb Oh Yeah....I forgot!

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention, I have been doing tire rotations myself and have NOT noticed any uneven tire wear.
Old 03-02-2003 | 01:51 PM
Banned

I ordered the Goldline 1.5" drop kit. Still waiting for it.
Old 03-02-2003 | 11:44 PM
Safety Car

conteez, okay after years of being into modifying cars, this is the 1st time ive heard of a "SHIM kit" where can i find this kit? i'll take your word for it b/c we both have 2.5 tl's and we both...or im going to get... the prokit that drops the car 1.2" so ill take your word for it b/c you said your mechanic showed you "actual" data