SH*T... my TL has rust! HELP before it consumes my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SH*T... my TL has rust! HELP before it consumes my car!!

I can't believe it... it came out of nowhere...

I was washing my a few days ago and noticed a little brown spot at the bottom left corner of my rear right pasenger side door... I thought it was dirt or something. So I washed and didn't give it a second look.

Just yesterday, I noticed that spot again... I thought to myself, "didn't I clean that?" So I go in for a closer inspection and felt it with my finger. "Wait a minute, that's not dirt... that's discoloration," I said to myself. I open the door as to get some more light on it and wondered how it happened. Then, when I looked around the door to see if there was any more, I saw it... RUST.:shakehead

It had already started at the very bottom of the inside of the door, hence why I never noticed it before. It's also on inside of the front, passenger side door but hasn't shown any sings on the outside.

I know this isn't my doing... I washed my car once a week during winter weather and I took care of it. The previous owners didn't do such a hot job but I never saw any rust on the car.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:44 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
get a new door! or just get it repainted. most body shops will strip it down, remove the rust, and leave it mint.

it may just be cheaper to get a new door though.

good luck
Old 07-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Hurricane Game

there is a big problem if it's coming from the inside-out. if that is the case, on any part of the car for any rust, then replacement of the metal is the only option. on way or another. a new door skin is probably what it will take (or a new door, whichever is most viable/cheapest, etc.). take it to a body shop and see what they say. there are chemicals you can put on it to slow the rust, but in the midwest.....rust is inevitable.

ps - that's another perk of moving to the SW, which is where i'm headed. moisture kills cars.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dubcnea
there is a big problem if it's coming from the inside-out. if that is the case, on any part of the car for any rust, then replacement of the metal is the only option. on way or another. a new door skin is probably what it will take (or a new door, whichever is most viable/cheapest, etc.). take it to a body shop and see what they say. there are chemicals you can put on it to slow the rust, but in the midwest.....rust is inevitable.

ps - that's another perk of moving to the SW, which is where i'm headed. moisture kills cars.
yeah this fuckin humidity in ne is killin me, i got a little spot at the top of the curve on the front passanger wheel well. i think im gonna take it to my friend's dad's shop and see what itll cost to get it repainted to slow it down...