rotors..help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005 | 01:01 PM
Racer

rotors..help please

hey guys i just started to change my rotors, front and back and back is all done n looking great, but i messed up one of the 2 screws taht hold the rotor (turned the screwdriver but the screw stayed in place . ummm not reallie sure wat to do now. any suggestions? also any other problems i mite run into with the front rotors? o and mods if this has to b moved then please do. thanks
Old 05-29-2005 | 01:11 PM
Hurricane Game

you can get new retaining screws @ the dealership. they are like $2 each. to get that one out....if it's just spinning, you may have to drill it out. but do so oh so carefully with a very small bit. don't mess up the outter threading.

what engine do you have? if you have the 2.5 TL, you might as well not even try. i mean, it can be done, but wow what a pain the ass. you have to have all the right tools. just a big pain. that's the sad thing. if you have the 3.2, then it should be like the back ones and not a big deal. but like i said....depends on which one you have.
Old 05-29-2005 | 04:39 PM
Safety Car

For stripped screws, here's what you do:

Firstly, stop what you're doing immediately. Take a screwdriver and put it to the screwhead. Give the screwdriver some very solid hits from a hammer. See if the screw turns with moderate force. If it doesn't then...

Secondly, if it's not so badly stripped, then go out and buy an impact driver from an auto parts store. About 10 dollars. The impact driver has oversized bits that really bite into a screw. You take a big mallet (preferably this takes two people) and hit the head of the impact driver. It will compress a spring and twist the head just a little bit while the force of the hammer also drives the bit into the screw.

If an impact hammer isn't cutting the job, you'll have to resort to more expensive options. Sears and places such as those sell special screw remover drill bits. Put them onto a portable drill and follow the instructions (since they all vary).

If this doesn't work (like you broke the screw remover bit into the screw), you're jacked. The screw remover bit is made of super hard metal that nothing else can drill through.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2005 | 10:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackjum
If this doesn't work (like you broke the screw remover bit into the screw), you're jacked. The screw remover bit is made of super hard metal that nothing else can drill through.

Good luck.

lol not quite there but yea i have a 3.2 so praying this will be the last prob i face. and i got the impact driver today jus hadnt had a chance to use it yet. u guys said exactly wat i thought i jus needed to make sure i wasnt makin this stuff up in my head and go n start askin the guys at pepboys for some sort drill that takes out screws n wat not. but yea ill get up nice n early and try the impact tom. thanks all
Old 05-30-2005 | 06:08 PM
Racer

ok so i tried the impact and after about 100 blows my hand got tired and the whole neighborhood woke up muahahahha but then i was real pissed and went midevil on its ass by using a turbo torch and heating up the screw, came out like it was butter
Old 05-31-2005 | 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Cheap impact drivers have a super stiff spring in them. It's possible the head never even turned unless you hit it really good. Take the impact driver apart and cut a few coils off the spring.
Old 05-31-2005 | 07:23 PM
Racer

i will do that if i ever buy one.....but i dont think my cuz would want me messin wit his..thanks tho