Rim size question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004 | 02:20 PM
Instructor

Rim size question

hey wassup fellaz.. how ya doing...... i have a question... i searched for it.. but i couldnt find it..... i wanted to ask..... what size rimz can we fit on our cars without modifying the suspension or lowering the car..... i want to put 18 inch chrome... but im n0t sure if they would make the suspension go bad or anything..... would i need wheel adapters?? any feedback would be hightly appreciated.... thanks alot!
Old 10-11-2004 | 10:14 PM
Safety Car

any 4 lug (4x114.3) will fit your car..w/o changing suspension. Your car might look like a low rider but as long as the wheels are 4x114.3 then you can fit whatever size wheels you want.

18 will make your car ride rough and not as smooth as the stock size, 15" or was it 16"? if our stock size is 16" then 18's will be okay. if its 15" then the ride will be a bit rough. they say the highest size wheel you can go is a max of 2" more than stock size to keep that smooth stock ride.
Old 10-12-2004 | 02:16 PM
Instructor

i have a 96 3.2TL.... isnt that a 5 lug... i jus went back and counted!! lol... righ now im runnin on the stockers.. but someone offered me a great deal on some ARELLI KAZMIR'z and i was thinkin b0ut it....18'z w0uld fit without any type of modification to the suspension.. sorry. i didnt post which model i had in the previous post... but thanks again
Old 10-12-2004 | 02:54 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

18's will fit, preferably with a 225/40/18 tire (this will keep approx. same tire diameter). Recommend MINIMUM +40 offset, especially if you plan on lowering later, if so, go for +42 or 44. Mine are +42 and that's part of the reason I haven't lowered it yet is I am afraid it's gonna rub something fierce when I do drop it.
Old 10-12-2004 | 03:32 PM
Racer

yeah i have 19s and they rub when people are in the back if i go over bumps. but i also have it dropped an inch and the finders shaved.
Old 10-12-2004 | 04:56 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

w/o modifying the suspension... you can fit 4 lug 18x7.5 for the 2.5 TL's and 5 lug 18x8 for the 3.2's, correct me if i'm wrong... it wouldn't make the stock suspension go bad but your car will be as high as a tuck...lol... and it will look funny like my car does right now... lol... click on signature to see my car or should i say 2.5 TL Truck...lol... the adapters will only be needed if you get a 4 lug design which i know you won't because there is a limited selection on 4 lug wheels and they make that kind of wheel in a 5 lug anyways... Oh and one more thing on the wheels... offset has to be FWD type... i'm not sure about the numbers on the offset but i've seen it somewhere in the "tire, wheels, suspension" part of the 1st gen forum...

About ride quality, to my knowledge, i think the size of the rim doesn't matter but the size of your tire does... like if you have 18" rims on your car with a 50 series tire...your ride won't be rough because the tire obsorbs most of the shock... and your suspension should obsorb the rest, but not all... if you ride on 35 series tires... your tire will obsorb very little and the vibration will transfer from the rim to the suspension making the suspension take all of it, which isn't much so you'll feel a pretty big jolt from the little pebble on the road...
Old 10-12-2004 | 10:28 PM
Racer

Im curious to know what everyone here thinks about 20" rims? What mods have to be done in order to comfortably fit a set onto a TL.
Old 10-13-2004 | 08:03 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by spooky3ce
w/o modifying the suspension... you can fit 4 lug 18x7.5 for the 2.5 TL's and 5 lug 18x8 for the 3.2's, correct me if i'm wrong... it wouldn't make the stock suspension go bad but your car will be as high as a tuck...lol... and it will look funny like my car does right now... lol... click on signature to see my car or should i say 2.5 TL Truck...lol... the adapters will only be needed if you get a 4 lug design which i know you won't because there is a limited selection on 4 lug wheels and they make that kind of wheel in a 5 lug anyways... Oh and one more thing on the wheels... offset has to be FWD type... i'm not sure about the numbers on the offset but i've seen it somewhere in the "tire, wheels, suspension" part of the 1st gen forum...

About ride quality, to my knowledge, i think the size of the rim doesn't matter but the size of your tire does... like if you have 18" rims on your car with a 50 series tire...your ride won't be rough because the tire obsorbs most of the shock... and your suspension should obsorb the rest, but not all... if you ride on 35 series tires... your tire will obsorb very little and the vibration will transfer from the rim to the suspension making the suspension take all of it, which isn't much so you'll feel a pretty big jolt from the little pebble on the road...
That is sort of true about the tire size Spooky, but keep in mind if you go with an 18" wheel, you need to keep a lower profile tire to keep the overall diameter the same so your speedo works properly. Generally speaking, every rim size you go up, take 5 off the sidewall (from 205/65/15 a 205/60/16 would have the same OVERALL diameter.) This is a PLUS ONE size rim. Also, every 10 CM you add to te width, take 5 off of the sidewall, if we now go to a 215 size tire on that same rim, it should now be a 215/55/16. This is not always EXACTLY accurate, but it will give you the best way to keep your speedo as close to accurate as possible. Now keep in mind too that if you wanted a 50 series on an 18" wheel and wanted to keep stock diameter, you would have to go with a 205/50/18, and I don't think any exist. By the same token, even though the SIDEWALL ASPECT RATIO is a 50, it will still have just about exactly the same physical height of the 225/40/18, and the sidewall actual physical measurement will still be the same, so it will still ride pretty rough. The ASPECT RATIO is a ratio of the sidewall diameter to the width of the tire, so it does not mean that all 50 series tires have the exact same sidewall. Therefore they will not all ride the same, but yes, in GENERAL, the higher the sidewall, the smoother the ride. there's my essay for the day! lol
Old 10-13-2004 | 12:46 PM
Safety Car

i have a 2.5 and i can fit an offset of +40...dropped and NO rub