retint - price range?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
retint - price range?

my tint is so bad on my driver side (has that ripple/wave effect) that I have to roll down my window to look to my left. I want to retint all the windows of the car. Approximately how much does it cost to REtint my car? I know usually tinting a brand new car is around 70-100 bucks but i'm sure it cost more for them to take off the current tint, scrub off the goo, apply the glue again for the new tint.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I paid $180 for 5 windows on my 325i with lifetime warranty..
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I paid 150 for mine last year with life time warranty as well
Old 11-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
My TL already had back 3 done when I bought it. So I only had to pay around $70-80 for front two. Windshield alone was $80.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
guys, hes asking for a retint. you all listed pricing to tint a car.

It's gonna be more expensive because the labor involved taking off the old tint. I would advise you to take off the old tint yourself then taking it in to get it tinted.

if not, expect to pay a good amount on re-tinting.

you could probably find out how to take off the old tint from the interwebs. check the usual places, ie: Google, Youtube, etc.

My boy works for sunshield tint in stafford. Hit me up if you need some quotes.

Last edited by justnspace; 11-18-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
if you have the time and space.. remove the tint yourself... it isn't hard but can be a pain, esp for the rear window with the defrost... but since our doors are frameless, those are a breeze...

i can help you with the removal... and then bring it to a place for a new tint... otherwise you will have to pay more for them to remove the old tint...

do you have space to do this on your own?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justnspace
guys, hes asking for a retint. you all listed pricing to tint a car.

It's gonna be more expensive because the labor involved taking off the old tint. I would advise you to take off the old tint yourself then taking it in to get it tinted.

if not, expect to pay a good amount on re-tinting.

you could probably find out how to take off the old tint from the interwebs. check the usual places, ie: Google, Youtube, etc.

My boy works for sunshield tint in stafford. Hit me up if you need some quotes.
Thank you! I was thinking of doing it myself to save "a buck or two" I'm very near stafford. Where is sunshield again? I've seen that place somewhere but cant' remember for the life of me..

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
if you have the time and space.. remove the tint yourself... it isn't hard but can be a pain, esp for the rear window with the defrost... but since our doors are frameless, those are a breeze...

i can help you with the removal... and then bring it to a place for a new tint... otherwise you will have to pay more for them to remove the old tint...

do you have space to do this on your own?
I have space to remove it. I was thinking of using a hair dryer to soften the glue so that the tint may come off easier in one piece instead of tearing into smaller pieces. I was then going to use alcohol and get the residue off of the window. Considering the cooler/cold weather we're having, I'll have to use the hair dryer in the garage or something..? For sure, I'm not touching the back window b/c of the radio antanae and the defroster.

I was thinking of buying that blue mercedes tint and applying that to the car. I really don't like it on my black car but i'll go for it.. I think it looks a lot better on white.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLBaller
I have space to remove it. I was thinking of using a hair dryer to soften the glue so that the tint may come off easier in one piece instead of tearing into smaller pieces. I was then going to use alcohol and get the residue off of the window. Considering the cooler/cold weather we're having, I'll have to use the hair dryer in the garage or something..? For sure, I'm not touching the back window b/c of the radio antanae and the defroster.

I was thinking of buying that blue mercedes tint and applying that to the car. I really don't like it on my black car but i'll go for it.. I think it looks a lot better on white.
for the doors... go to $1 shop and get some cheap ammonia... mix a 50/50solution of half ammonia and half water into a spray bottle... in a WELL ventilated place, spray it all over the tint... be very generous with the stuff... but make sure any overspray onto the door panel is cleaned off... then take a large black garbage bag and cover the window with the bag... the bag works well because you can completely cover both inside and outside of the window... now park your car in the sun and let it bake...

you are essentially using the sun as heat, the black garbage back helps to attract the sun and the ammonia will begin to act like a 'steam' solution to help dissolve the glue... check it in a half hour by trying to peel the corner... it should come off smooth as butter in one piece... if not, add more spray if the tint looks dry and let it sit some more... after you get the tint off, you can use a clean razor blade to get off any residual glue and/or tint... at his stage i use isopropyl alcohol or even your ammonia solution works too...

this is basically the same method for the rear window... spray the ammonia/water solution... but this time just lay the black garbage bags, or a black tarp on top of the rear window on the outside... if you have a black tarp, it helps to also put it on the inside on the rear decklid so you create a sandwich for your 'oven'... for the rear you should bake for an hour before trying to peel off...

oh yea one tip... after you bake the car and are about to go into the car to check on the tint... open the door and look away for at least 10 seconds to let the fumes dissolve... you do not want to breathe that stuff in... it hurts and burns the eyes (i know, cause it happened to me too many times) make sure you are very well ventilated when you are inside the car spraying the ammonia... open all the doors while you are in there spraying and just close up everything when you are ready to bake...

if i was still in Tx i would help you out with this... before i moved back to NJ i bought the Vigor from my friend in Houston and the tint was dried and cracked... so i used this method to get it all off... took me about 2 hrs since i baked the whole car at once... wait for a nice sunny day and use that htown sun!!!

go to it!! and take before and after pics... i wish i did when i did it to make a writeup...

IMHO, i agree with you on the color of the tint....

black car - black tint...
white car - MB blue tint looks better...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 AM

^+1 watch the fumes!

oh and Sunshield operates out of a car washing business. let me get that number for you.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
^ thanks for the DIY info on tint removal... my windows on the merc are way too dark for me and I think a lighter, metallic tint with a sliver hue would look better than whats on there right now... I don't have a clue what my BIL was thinking when he tinted this car so dark!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Rick, try huper optik tint. I used their 35%. and it came out shiny silver-y. It matches my silver car perfect!
its pricey tho!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Rick, try huper optik tint. I used their 35%. and it came out shiny silver-y. It matches my silver car perfect!
its pricey tho!
If its as sick as you say, I might have to take the hit man! I just have been seeing silver R170's and their matchin tint is the bomb!

Thanks alot for the 411 bro!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Did you do the tint yurself? I have never done it and would hate to jack up some pricey film!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM

well, you might wanna take a look at my car or something first. from far away it does have a metallic look to it.

it was well worth the money!
no, I had it done at the shop i mentioned above. thats why it was pricey. it came out to 360 for all 5 windows. I'm thinking that your back window would cost less than my total.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

the darkness of the tint is also affected by the color of the interior... 20% on the TL and GS with tan interiors make it look like 35%... but with my grey interiors on the 3.2 and the Corolla, it looks darker...
Old 11-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

well, you might wanna take a look at my car or something first. from far away it does have a metallic look to it.

no, I had it done at the shop i mentioned above. thats why it was pricey. it came out to 360 for all 5 windows. I'm thinking that your back window would cost less than my total.
360 for 5 windows?!?! Kam: im doing your DYI suggestion!!!! lol I'm not going to risk f*cking up the rear so I'm letting the pros do that part lol Whats your name again? Minh??
Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM

yes, its because of the brand of tint. its called huper optik. its thicker than normal 3m tint.
it took 3 weeks to dry, I still had tiny bubbles after week 3. but they went away soon after.

because of the thickness it blocks out heat as good as 5% limo tint.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Safety Car

because of the thickness it blocks out heat as good as 5% limo tint.
suite!! So now there is a way for me to secretly give girls the rape stare and rub one out??

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 AM

thats a good idea...

yeah, my windows are really small on that slk... almost tiny...LOL... except the 2 sides... no way they could hit me for 360 on the slk... the 2 back windows are the size of a shoe...

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 11-19-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 AM

the darkness of the tint is also affected by the color of the interior... 20% on the TL and GS with tan interiors make it look like 35%... but with my grey interiors on the 3.2 and the Corolla, it looks darker...
good call!... my interior is red and black... not sure how much interior reflection that is gong to cause....
Old 11-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

360 for 5 windows?!?! Kam: im doing your DYI suggestion!!!! lol I'm not going to risk f*cking up the rear so I'm letting the pros do that part lol Whats your name again? Minh??
who me? Andrew...

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
good call!... my interior is red and black... not sure how much interior reflection that is gong to cause....
oh yea i know that interior... my cousin has your same exact car... i'd go with a 15-20% all around... if you want legal, do 35% fronts for TX if i remember correctly...

i don't know if i could ever spend $360 on a tint job... that is worth more than the car at this point...
Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM

suite!! So now there is a way for me to secretly give girls the rape stare and rub one out??

No, it has the same protection as 5% limo tint but at 35%. I have a dark interior, depending on the sun it'll make the tint look reflective/dark/or light. ive never seen a tint do this. but it makes my car look player

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
thats a good idea...

yeah, my windows are really small on that slk... almost tiny...LOL... except the 2 sides... no way they could hit me for 360 on the slk... the 2 back windows are the size of a shoe...
you can see my tint, while I play with your RC's.

who me? Andrew...

oh yea i know that interior... my cousin has your same exact car... i'd go with a 15-20% all around... if you want legal, do 35% fronts for TX if i remember correctly...

i don't know if i could ever spend $360 on a tint job... that is worth more than the car at this point...
Yikes, at first i felt stupid. but I guess its worth it
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Yikes, at first i felt stupid. but I guess its worth it
that is all that matters my friend... for me it is just personal opinion...