Recently bought a '98 2.5 TL, and I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:53 PM
cwb
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently bought a '98 2.5 TL, and I have questions

Hi. I have some questions about my "new" '98 2.5 TL. I may revive this thread from time to time if I think of other questions, but here are the ones I can think of now.

1. The car only has about 55,100 miles on it, but the spark plugs haven't been replaced, nor do I believe a tune up has been done. Also, my mechanic said that the starter is just showing signs of "weakening." Should I replace these things and do a tune up right away, or can I wait a bit?

2. On the dash, it says "premium unleaded fuel only." The manual does recommend premium fuel but says you can get by with regular unleaded. Since I'm poor, I'd rather not fill up with premium every time. Will this be a problem?

3. Does the stock CD player play MP3 or CD-R discs?

4. I noticed that the driver's side door handle feels quite a bit looser than all of the other door handles. While that's understandable, I don't want it to break off. Should I look into replacing the driver's side door handle, and how much would it cost?

5. (Here's a multi-part question) I've never had an automatic climate control system, so I need to know if using it is relatively economical. Also, is it normal for air to be blowing from only the side vents in "full auto" mode? Finally, can I change the selection from "normal" to "recirc" in the "full auto" mode? It doesn't seem like I can, and maybe that's by design.

6. Can I get a replacement valet key from an Acura dealer? I didn't buy the car from an Acura dealer, and it didn't come with a valet key.

7. Anything else I need to know about owning this vehicle (good points, bad points, best way to keep it in good condition, etc.)?

That's all for now. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
1. Replace the spark plugs around 90 or 100K miles. The starters in our cars seem to have issues, occasionally they wont start on the first try.

2. You can get by with regular with no problem. You lose about 5 to 10% of your power doing so.

3. CD-Rs only

4. Not sure.

5. Don't worry about economy with the autoclimate. It will affect your mpg by maybe 5% at the most. Yes it is normal for it to do so at auto.

6. Yes you can. Not sure what the price is.

7. Good points, the 2.5 handles GREAT and has a respectable amount of power.

Bad points aren't too bad but some can be a nuisance. The wind noise at 65 mph or more can be irritating and the windows sometimes roll up slowly. That can be fixed with WD-40. Also that starter issue I mentioned above.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lets not forget the burnt bulb of the D4 in the gauge!

cwb: our car is a great car. its 100% built in japan whereas the later model TL is built in the US so our cars are like a rock. 55K miles on a 98 car is very low. if the previous owner tampered with the mileage cord to cheat of some miles, you might want to think about getting a tune up. they say to get a MAJOR tune up (includes, plugs, wires, all the belts, engine flush, transmission fluid flush, radiator, etc..) at like..90k or something. i got mines done a little early at 70k and the car felt brand new! it restored all the power and the gears shift smoothly. its awsome
Old 01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
cwb
2nd Gear

Thanks to both of you for your responses. However, I'm wondering if anyone can answer this question that I asked above:

**I noticed that the driver's side door handle feels quite a bit looser than all of the other door handles. While that's understandable, I don't want it to break off. Should I look into replacing the driver's side door handle, and how much would it cost?

Also, I've got some more stereo related questions. I'm almost positive I'm going to replace the factory radio and speakers when I get the money. Can anyone recommend any good aftermarket stereos and/or speakers that would fit in my car? I had an aftermarket Blaupunkt in my previous car (a Ford Contour) and it was a pretty good unit. I'm not just limiting myself to Blau, though. More related questions: Since the factory radio is one of those big ones, do I have to get one comparable in size? If not, where do I get those things that would fill in the "hole" left in the dash?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

CWB:

Good choice on your 'new' car. I have a 97 2.5 TL w/ 151K+ miles on it and here are some things I've done, experienced, etc. to report to you:

1. Definitely check out to see if the water pump/timing belt replace has been done. Get it done before about 90K or so. I got mine done at 75K and will get my second one this spring. Do it before it costs you an arm and a leg (this is a very well konwn problem on our cars).

2. Get all the recall work done our cars--go to the National Highway Safety Administration website and you can search under your car. The dealership has to do all the work for free because they are recalls; I believe there are three or four recalls--get them done quick before your miles are too high.

3. Car handles really well and is a fast ride. The engine feels best between 70 mph and 100mph--seriously. The 5 cylinder is a strong engine and it is a good aggressive drive.

4. After the factory brakes go, get some good aftermarkets--I got a new set of Brembo's all the way round and Axxis pads and the brakes are incredible.

5. Definitely get rid of the stereo...I don't know of any recommendations as I use my iPod in my car, but others out there have spent lots of money on their TL's--just search in these forums and you are bound to run across people who have done lots of mods.

6. I'd recommend going to synthetic oil--I've been using it since I got the car in 2000 (w/only 29K on it) and I have had no problems at all. Get the K and N air filter for our car too--worth it.

Enjoy the ride--even though it's 'old' you still get looks from people and the ride is immense, especially if you do highways alot. I've done 7 cross-country's with me and me dog in the back and the car loves the highway--you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that will pass you on the highway--at least that's been my experience (as I drive really fast anyway).

Great car, great choice, just be current with all the work and maintenance and you will have a great car for another 200K or so.

best.
-beno