Re-wiring FOG lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re-wiring FOG lights

Ok, I know this probably IS a re-post, but I just searched the forum and couldn't find anything on it so I'm gonna ask it anyways. Does any one have wiring instructions for re-wiring the fog lights to come on with the Parking lights, or simply with the switch regardless of the lights being on. I just basiacally want to know what wires to use cause I'm lazy and don't feel like figuring it out on my own! If not, I will have to, but if anyone has done it and could send me instructions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:48 AM
All about JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me a little time today and ill post up a pic. Im sure that someone will get the directions up before i get the pic, but the pic will provide a visual.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Great, thanks 98.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
yes intructions would be nice.. to have the fogs as city lights or something.. teh yellow = sexay
Old 08-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Banned

Weird, I know we had a thread about it.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Hey Cornflake... well yeah its not a re-post but it falls in about the same catagory as this thread in the pics section and in that thread there has a link that has about the same subject... click here to see... Anyways, some info / Instructions on how to re-wire our lights will be cool... hopefully someone has detailed instructions because i sure can use them... I don't know about the turn signal staying on when the parking lights are switched on... in my opinion its kinda ... ... but everyone there own right... The fog light thing would be cool though...

†§pôôkÿ†
Old 08-20-2004, 10:28 AM
All about JDM

Ok, instructions. Pics later sorry for the delay.

Remove the panel that is right under the steering wheel. THere are two screws holding it in and three tabs. Unscrew and pull it off, it'll snap out pretty easily.. After that there is a thick cluster of wires. Find the cluster of wires that contains a solid red wire with silver dots, directly beside a red wire that has a blue line running down its middle, and it also has silver dots on it. Use a quick splice to splice them together. Put the panel back on and youre done.

The cluster im talking about doesnt have the back tube covering the wires. The bundle/cluster is in plain view.

This is for a 2.5 now. I think it was different on my brothers 3.2, like instead of a red and blue it was a red and black or something. Ill take pics as soon as i can find my camera. And ill ask him about his wires too.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Ok, sweet, I have a 3.2 so if you could find out for sure, that would be great!! So that allows them to come on with the parking lights, or just simply with the switch? And with a quick splice you mean simply splice the two together, don't cut either of them? (ie a' la 3m quick crimp) Thanks man!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Instructor

I have a 2.5 and when i spliced the two wires, the fogs came on with the parking lights, but when i turned off the parking lights the fogs would still stay on constantly. Any ideas why this is happening?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:30 PM
All about JDM

I dont think that there is a way to avoid that. All you have to do is push the fog light button to turn them off and on. Its not really that much of a hassle, just make sure you turn them off when you shut your car off so you dont run your battery out. The 3.2 doesnt have that problem when the lights are off the fogs are off. For 2.5s they stay on even with the car totally off no key or anything if the button is pushed in. I dont know why that happens though. 3.2 is the same in regards to the wires.

Here is the elusive post.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...ght=fog+rewire

hope it helps!

Driving during the day with the fogs on looks so bad ass!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Instructor

thanks for the info 98, can't believe i didnt try pushing in the button! *smacks forehead*
Old 08-21-2004, 02:03 AM
Attorney- Will Sue 4 Food

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I know is mine are out and I cant find out why, I have given up ALL IS LOST
Old 08-21-2004, 12:03 PM
All about JDM

Originally Posted by oulaw29
All I know is mine are out and I cant find out why, I have given up ALL IS LOST
Did you follow the directions in the post? ThaHipnotic folowed them and it worked. Maybe you spliced the wrong wires. And Cornflake, I think it is called quick splice, I used a red one. Its like a sandwhich, you place the two wires side by side in the quick splice, close the cover of it and squeeze it with pliers. Be sure not to cut through the wires all teh way though, and if it doesnt work, open it up to make sure that the insulation was actually cut and the copper wire is making contact with the metal insert of the quick splice.

It looks like this, i used a red one cause of the gauge rating

oulaw, try checkin if the splice cut the insulation all the way and that the two wires are spliced properly. THat happened to my brother, they didnt come on because the wires werent actutally spliced.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Advanced

HOLY CRAP!! lol jk
directions are good...its not that hard...take that damn thing from the pic above (make sure its red)...feed the 2 wires through the 2 holes on the top, use pliars to close it, and then flip the cover and close it...All is not lost, double check ur connections...
-ALex
Old 08-21-2004, 07:49 PM
LDH
I

It's called a t-tap. its the safest/easiest way to tap a wire but it creates a lot of resistance and not letting all the power flow through. But it will work fine.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:55 PM
All about JDM

This is a t-tap.

There is a small difference but im sure it essetially the same. You can find the quick splice at autozone or DAP.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Cool, i'm thinking of doing this tonight... anyways... shouldn't this be made into a sticky next to the "Instructions to remove yellow foglight covers" that was posted by 96TL???

I wouldn't of been able to do it without these instructions... gracias...

†§pôôkÿ†
Old 08-24-2004, 10:37 AM
All about JDM

Here are some pics sorry took so long, ive been really really busy this week.
Kinda blurry im sorry, hard to get a good close up, but you can see the red wire with the silver dot, and the red wire with the blue line through it and silver dot.

Remove this panel:

Connect these wires:
I used a red quick splice cause of the size. If it doesnt work, check to make sure hte insulation was penetrated by the splice and that the wire are properly spliced.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, this is my first post, and I believe it can help everybody having problems with their fogs. After reading this thread, I went to where I work (local repair shop/gas station) and printed out some wiring diagrams for the 3.2 TL. There is a very simple way to make the foglights stay on always (as long as the lights are at parking and above.) All you have to do is take out the fog light switch, disconnect the bundle of cables, and use a paper clip or staple in the wiring clip coming from under the dash. The two terminals in the clip you have to connect are on the top row, third and fourth from the left (this is true only for the 3.2 TL, not sure about the 2.5.) Just stick the properly bent piece of metal into the respective terminals. Then reconnect the switch and replace everything as you found it. Now, I don't know how the switch will affect the operation of the light, tho I'm sure it won't, because my switch circuit was burnt out. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Racer

I'm so lost... I know I wanted to do this but now I'm not sure.

I wanted it so that my fogs would come on with my parking nights (so I still get the warning tone if I turn off the car but leave the lights on). But some posts say that the lights stay on even if the parking lights are off.

Maybe I'll leave it alone.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:24 PM
All about JDM

If u have a 3.2 then they will only come on with the parking lights and headlights. So if u keep the button pushed in it will come on with parking lights and headlights only. Not stay on all the time. The 2.5 however will stay on the whole time unless the button is pushed to the off position. I dont know why they do that, but the 2.5's and the 3.2's are different when it comes to the fogs.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there any way at all to wire it up so only the fog lights come on? I am assuming you would need a switch to do it, but has anyone tried?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Racer

Ok so this is really weird, i have a '97 3.2 and when I spliced the red with blue stripe and red with silver dot wires, my headlights came on and stayed on constantly even with the car off...any idea's?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:33 PM
TL no more!

It shouldn't do that. Make sure you have the right wire. When I was down there, I remember I saw a blue wire with the red stripe in the same vicinity of the red/blue. It literally took me 5 minutes to do. It's a very easy mod.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Racer

This sucks, i looked again and I think I was using a blue wire with a red stripe, so I found the one I should be using, hooked them up, headlights come on when they should, but the marker lights and the fog lights dont come on at all now. Does anyone have a sheet or know where to find one, so i can just look at the colors of the cables and try to figure out whats going on?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:52 PM
All about JDM

Check if your wires were spliced totally. Check to make sure that your bulbs didnt burn out. Check to make sure that your fog light button is pushed in. And finally check to see if you blew a fuse. Those are the only things that i can think of.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Racer

thanks man, i havent gotten a chance to take a look yet, but my headlights work and so do my blinkers so at least I'm legal. I think I blew a fuse from when I connected the blue wire with the red stripe with the hot wire. I'll check tonight, hopefully it was just a fuse, I just replaced all my marker lights and my H3C's. I dont want to have to pay for those again :boinkugh:
Old 07-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Racer

(Sorry for bringing this up.)

Ok, I tried this... and things are bad now.

I picked out the two wires, but turned on my parkings and fogs. I got no fogs. 5 seconds later, my warning tone stops... and finally, my parking lights/side markers don't work.

At least I have headlights and turn signals... but this is bad.:-(
Old 07-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Hrm, I bought the red quick splicers last night, but I am def not trying this until we get some concrete information.

I have located both the correct wires to use, from what people have said before...

But 2 of you I am sure used the before mentioned wires and have ran into problems.

I just want my fogs to stay on when the high beams are triggered.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Racer

Yeah, you probably should wait...

I also just noticed that my brake lights don't turn on with my headlights... only when I brake do they actually turn on. So I can't drive my car at night. Great.

I have a bad feeling that it's a short of some sort. I don't see why they wouldn't turn on even after removing the splicer. The wires weren't cut through or anything...
Old 07-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Damn man, that sucks.

Yea, It would seem if you removed the splice, everything would be fine.

Think it blew a fuse or something?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KelloggTL
Damn man, that sucks.

Yea, It would seem if you removed the splice, everything would be fine.

Think it blew a fuse or something?
If it's just a fuse... then it won't be too bad.

Does anyone know how to check a fuse? I have no idea... I've replaced them, but never checked one.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 PM
TL Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 982.5TL
If u have a 3.2 then they will only come on with the parking lights and headlights. So if u keep the button pushed in it will come on with parking lights and headlights only. Not stay on all the time. The 2.5 however will stay on the whole time unless the button is pushed to the off position. I dont know why they do that, but the 2.5's and the 3.2's are different when it comes to the fogs.

I successfully performed the fog light trick on my 2.5 TL, and I wired it in conjuction with my remote turn on lead on my Alpine CD player, so the fog lights can only come on when the key is turned to the accesory position, or on, of course. this way i won't forget to turn off my fogs, draining the battery. I love the fog light trick, it's the easiest mod ever, plus it looks sweet, especially with clear bumper lights. sweet!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Racer

I don't like the idea of splicing into another wire to share powers unless its to get a signal only. So I devised my own circuit. My design will allow the foglights to come on only when the car is in the ignition or running stages.

First off, I'd find out which wire is the foglight signal wire,and cut it in half so that now theres 2 sides. One going to the firewall and one going to the foglight switch.
Remember folks, this is just a signal wire going to the foglight relay.The foglight relay will be the one to supply the power to the foglights, not the signal wire.

Next, I'll be using the foglight switch side signal wire to send a signal to relay A. When relay A receives a signal from the foglight switch, relay A will then check if the ignition wire has power. If it does then it will send a signal to the foglight signal wire, the one that goes toward the firewall side. And that should turn the foglights on independently from the main light and also wont drain the battery if you forget to turn them off while the car is not running.

Another cool thing I'dlike to do is add one of those photo cell sensors to sense darkness and automatically turns on the light or vice versa.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ysidro
Another cool thing I'dlike to do is add one of those photo cell sensors to sense darkness and automatically turns on the light or vice versa.
There is already a sunlight sensor that you may be able to work with..
Old 03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
TL Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ysidro
I don't like the idea of splicing into another wire to share powers unless its to get a signal only. So I devised my own circuit. My design will allow the foglights to come on only when the car is in the ignition or running stages.

First off, I'd find out which wire is the foglight signal wire,and cut it in half so that now theres 2 sides. One going to the firewall and one going to the foglight switch.
Remember folks, this is just a signal wire going to the foglight relay.The foglight relay will be the one to supply the power to the foglights, not the signal wire.

Next, I'll be using the foglight switch side signal wire to send a signal to relay A. When relay A receives a signal from the foglight switch, relay A will then check if the ignition wire has power. If it does then it will send a signal to the foglight signal wire, the one that goes toward the firewall side. And that should turn the foglights on independently from the main light and also wont drain the battery if you forget to turn them off while the car is not running.

This is definitely the best way to do it. I was just lazy and did it the "simple" way.

That's a really nice plan for a relay. good job man.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i know this is a old thread to many confusion on the color to cut...so which wire to cut the color wire ..just need the color no write up..thanxs
Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

help with fog and parking lights please

Hi, I ran a search on the forum for DIY threads on splicing the fog light wire with the parking light wire in order to run the car's parking lights with the fogs. But I'm still confused about the splicing part. I followed the directions and have bought the red Tap-In Squeeze Connectors for 22-18 gauge wires. I have opened up the panel below the steering wheel and located the red wire with blue strip and red wire with silver spots. But I'm hesitant on using the squeeze connectors because I'm still not sure. Can someone explain that part a little more? Or maybe post a few pictures of how it's supposed to look. Thanks~

sorry for the long post
Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Boarder.97.TL
This sucks, i looked again and I think I was using a blue wire with a red stripe, so I found the one I should be using, hooked them up, headlights come on when they should, but the marker lights and the fog lights
dont come on at all now. Does anyone have a sheet or know where to find one, so i can just look at the colors of the cables and try to figure out whats going on?
welcome to acurazine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-clubs-meets-15/park-ave-meet-live-reports-36961/