pics of sub box, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 03:34 AM
Hurricane Game

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics of sub box, etc.

so i decided to build my own box. VERY interesting thing to do, especially if you've never done it before. small piece of advice for anyone out there who is thinking of doing it: don't put angles in it. maybe i'm dumb, but it took me a long time to figure the cubic feet of this box. i wasn't a wiz at geometry, but damn, this was horrible. anyways, then the angles of the wood on the side that have to butt up to each other....not easy to do. second piece of advice: have all the right tools before hand. i spent so much time taking wood back and forth to work, and borrowing tools, etc...this box took me weeks to complete (and i had to totally redo it once!). don't try to get off cheap either..you pay for in the end.

so anyhoo....i then needed a place for my amps, and this is what i came up with. i'll post more pics tomorrow after i fix it (third tip, very important: measure twice, cut once). i thought i could snug this box up in btwn the angles pieces in the trunk, hence the shape. and i could....but not with these new sides on it. plus, i couldn't get it into the trunk without taking off one side, so that is what i have to fix now. i also ran short on carpet, so ack! i'll take pics tomorrow and you guys can tell me what you think. but this was last night before i mounted amps, etc.

oh, and btw, take into consideration the parts of the trunk that come down into it when you close the lid. jeez...what a hassle

Old 03-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good, definately should have just kept the box square though, unless you were planning to put it in a corner and needed to put some angles in. The boards you are putting the amps on might look nice if they layed down a little bit, so like when you open the trunk they are facing you and not your crotch. You have a good setup there already though. I'm just jealous that you have a sub and I don't.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:04 PM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

piece of advice for anyone who plans on building a box: When you decide to make your box, recess the sides of the box by an inch. It will make carpeting the box MUCH easier and look much cleaner. You can hide stuff there and cover it up with a new piece of carpet when you do that side.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Instructor

i have that same sub...2 of them and it hits pretty hard. I am actually looking for someone who can make me a box to the right spec for my w6. Why don't JL make boxes to sell?? Who else knows about their subs than them?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Hurricane Game

so you have RF DVC Powers and a w6? i have two as well, but only wanted one in this car at the moment. it works out pretty well. here is the 'in the car' pic. it's alright, i have a little work to do, but overall this is about it:

Old 03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Hurricane Game

heh, the carpet on the ride side.......i hadn't had a chance to fasten that down yet...so disreguard that as for now and pretend it looks like the left side.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Instructor

I don't have power dvc. I have the one like yours..punch. I gave it to my little brother so now its in his cl. He is powering it with the old PPI amp (the one thats made in america). I used a RF 800a to power those bad boys but they could handle a lot more power but that was enough bass for me. I am using the same amp, 800a, to power my W6. I just need a regular sealed box made to spec for the sub. None of that custom show car setup.

You should have built a box to fit both of your 12s in the trunk and mount the amps on the side of the trunk...standing up of course. It would look so clean and more bass for you.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Hurricane Game

actually that is a RF DVC Power, not a punch. i do have another one, but adding another sub only really adds another 3 dbs. i have a box for both of them already with an amp rack and everything, but i didn't wanna use it. i would have even less trunk space than i do now. plus the rack is on the back of the box, and since these seats don't fold down, i wouldn't have been able to adjust any of the settings on the amp.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Hurricane Game

ok, i see where you saw punch. just to clear it up, here is a closeup of the middle of the sub

Old 03-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Instructor

man i hate it that our seats don't fold down!!! I think honda accords seats fold down...i think? if ours fold down, our music would sound a lot better i think
Old 03-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Hurricane Game

hehe. you can still get a different cabin pressure change by just opening that little plastic access piece to the trunk. it isn't like folding the seats down, but it will change the pressure in the cabin part of the car, making the bass a bit deeper, etc.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted to do the same set up only i got 2 types but i dont have a strong enought amp to power them yet.
anyway, good job
Old 03-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Hurricane Game

thanks after only 2 months of work i finally can 'enjoy' it lol
Old 03-21-2005, 08:10 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by dubcnea
hehe. you can still get a different cabin pressure change by just opening that little plastic access piece to the trunk. it isn't like folding the seats down, but it will change the pressure in the cabin part of the car, making the bass a bit deeper, etc.

Take out the rear speakers, it'll do the same thing and won't be noticeable.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Hurricane Game

that is also true. my holes are filled with speakers even though i know some people think 6x9s are worthless with good fronts and subs.