Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007 | 12:49 PM
3rd Gear

Overheating issue

I have a '96 3.2 with 124K that i just purchased recently. I've noticed some of the common problems with the car already (d4 light, slow windows, cd player issues), but my biggest problem is the fact that the car overheats. The first time driving the car, it went for about 5 mins of driving before i noticed the temp guage starting to go above the halfway point. I have had several acuras, so i know that the temp is usually just above 1/3 from cold to hot under normal operation. I pulled over and the gauge went all the way to hot. I looked under the hood and noticed that neither cooling fan was running. I went back in the car and turned on the a/c and noticed that now both fans were running. As i have stated, i have owned several acuras, and i remember that in my '90 legend, there was a fan a/c control module mounted somewhere under the dash. I had a similar problem with the legend, and when they replaced that module--no more overheating. I was wondering if the tl had a similar module and if not, what could be the cause?
Old 05-21-2007 | 02:36 PM
Htown slab rider

one of your relays might be out, could be a blown head gasket which basically means the engine is about to die....or a bad thermostat....i'm leaning more towards the blown head gasket though since i've had ta similar issue
Old 05-21-2007 | 04:01 PM
大日本帝国

^ DO A COMPRESSION CHECK! It sounds like a BHG to me, and my BHG caused me to break a wrist pin and blow my motor. Fix it now before you share my fate...

~Cheers~
Old 05-21-2007 | 07:09 PM
3rd Gear

overheating issue...

Yes, i have thought of the head gasket, but i wouldn't go to the most expensive solution first. Like i said before, the cooling fan wasn't working unless i hit the a/c button. Without the a/c button on, and the water temperature high enough to start boiling, there should be some signal that is sent to the radiator fan. Even with a brand new head gasket...hell...a whole new engine, without the radiator fan going, any car will overheat. I just wanted to know if there's anyone who is knowledgeable of the electric switches and relays involved with the cooling fan. But thanks for the advice on the head gasket.
Old 05-22-2007 | 02:28 AM
大日本帝国

Check to see if your t-stat is blocked. It's possible that it's stuck closed, not allowing coolant to flow through the entire system. If it is something like your Legend, it'd be the first I've heard on a 1G TL.

~Cheers~

:EDIT: Re-read post. Check the fan fuses in the engine bay.
Old 05-22-2007 | 03:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

is there any crud stuck under your radiator cap? that would show signs of a BHG
Old 05-26-2007 | 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

I had the same problem recently, car kept overheating. I was also loosing antifreeze so i had the rad replaced, including cap, thermostat and it still overheated and lost fluid. Took it to a shop and the mechanic said there was a module deep inside the dash, 200 dollar part and 400 in labour to replace. After he replaced it, the problem persisted... took it to a different shop and they said it was deff the headgasket. I just got the car back today after a week... They did the HG and Timing belt. It has not overheated at all and seems to be runing fine. Tho i sould mention, i did not have the white smoke/smell, antifreeze in my oil or vice versa. I guess it was a pinhole or something.
Old 05-26-2007 | 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sebbiefresh
I had the same problem recently, car kept overheating. I was also loosing antifreeze so i had the rad replaced, including cap, thermostat and it still overheated and lost fluid. Took it to a shop and the mechanic said there was a module deep inside the dash, 200 dollar part and 400 in labour to replace. After he replaced it, the problem persisted... took it to a different shop and they said it was deff the headgasket. I just got the car back today after a week... They did the HG and Timing belt. It has not overheated at all and seems to be runing fine. Tho i sould mention, i did not have the white smoke/smell, antifreeze in my oil or vice versa. I guess it was a pinhole or something.
how much was the hg fix?
Old 05-27-2007 | 01:58 PM
WDP- lovin' every minute!

ive been having the same damn problem first my a/c cooling fan was out.... (the one that runs after car is turned off to cool engine) if ur car doesnt do that ur relay is most definitely out! ( right next to the radiator right hand side) --- and next to theantifreeze reservoir (plastic white thing that holds extra antifreeze... it was 15 bucks i think and the problem was gone but now my car is leaking alot of damn antifreeze i found out its the water pump, which has to be replaced along with timing belt to get proper tension..... if your cooling fan ( right hand side) is not starting when your car is running, try moving the cable thats attached sometimes i hear the flaps are prone to getting stuck and a good lil whack will get it started....... last you can try replacing 2 fuses that run htat baby... one in the fuse box under hood----- 30amp green i think it was check the diagram and there was another orange 20amp that was replaced on the drivers side footwell nxt to the brake. thsoe 2 were replaced and we were up and running........

P.S --- there is another relay for the cooling fan (right hand side) not to be confused with the A/C fan (left hand side) the one for the cooling fan is attached to the silver/tin looking can nxt to the radiator reservoir ( attached to bottom of lil rail holding it to chassis). id suggest replace the relays and all possible fuses before even thinking of going expensive!! good luck