oddity with brakes..go figure

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005 | 04:48 PM
Hurricane Game

oddity with brakes..go figure

so i finally got my new rotors and pads on, etc. they are nice and even though, with other stuff, i paid out the ass, i'm satisfied with the performance. well, as i was showing them to a co-worker of mine, i mentioned that backs were not x-drilled and what not. as i peered into the passenger side area behind the rim, i noticed a rusty looking rotor. i said to self "hmm" and went to the other side. that rotor was silver, etc. i went back to the passenger side and the rotor looks like rotors that have been in the rain, or thru something wet, then set for a few days. sooooooo, this means one of a few things:

a. caliper on pass. side is shot (probable)
b. brake line to that side is crimped, broke or damaged (possible...but no leaks so maybe not)
c. pads are non-existant (as far as i could see....there are some)
d. my luck sucks hardcore (probable)
e. A and E (most probable)

i'm thinking that i will have to have this fixed sooner than later. i don't notice any pull to the driver's side either. i'm assuming this is due to the fact that the fronts get the brunt of the braking pressure, not that backs. however, i'm sure that letting it go could easily cause my new several $$ rotors in the front to warp due to uneven braking. is there anything that will go right for me and my car? lol....did someone here put a hex on me? if so....please forgive and release it
Old 03-29-2005 | 08:17 PM
Hurricane Game

does A. sound right?
Old 03-29-2005 | 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

can u take a pic??? if u say that it is rusty does it shake when u brake at high speeds?? there is no way that it is B or C cause all ur brakes would be shot if there was a fluid leak and there would be pull... if the caliper is shot then it wouldn't brake and cause steer... i wanna see a pic... maybe its dirt??? was it raining???
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:06 PM
Hurricane Game

it wasn't raining....lemme snap a pic quick if it's not raining now. you may or may not be able to see it...lemme do it quick.
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:09 PM
10th Gear

haha, i think for answer E, you meant both A and D. Where is this rust on? If its on the side and the hat (i think thats whats it called), then you should be okay. Is it on the the contact area? when i first bought my car, it had sat for a long time and some spirited driving took that right off in no time. oh, or maybe the rotor was replaced in the past with something aftermarket? i had some third party calipers that rusted entirely within 3 months, no joke. joys of being in new england.
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:12 PM
Hurricane Game

k, here is pic:

passenger side:

driver's side:

i just took these. the car has been sitting for a few hours. it has not rained, and i have not washed it, etc. so something is un-right.
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:14 PM
Hurricane Game

Originally Posted by pufftom101
haha, i think for answer E, you meant both A and D. Where is this rust on? If its on the side and the hat (i think thats whats it called), then you should be okay. Is it on the the contact area? when i first bought my car, it had sat for a long time and some spirited driving took that right off in no time. oh, or maybe the rotor was replaced in the past with something aftermarket? i had some third party calipers that rusted entirely within 3 months, no joke. joys of being in new england.
hehe...yes i did mean D. and i'm not sure what has been done to the car. i know it did sit for awhile on a lot or something. the guy that just did my brakes agreed with me on that. this was the exact same today, so none of the braking i did in my errands removed it. it could be crap caliper. *sigh*....why the money pit? lol
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

i thought that u got aftermarket rotors... u ddin't put them in??? i would think that the resurface of the rotors would clean them out if u brought them somewhere... did they resurface or replace the whole rotor... if it is a new rotor, maybe they didn't clean off which brake cleaner before installing???
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:10 PM
Hurricane Game

these are the rears. i got new fronts only.
Old 03-30-2005 | 11:24 AM
10th Gear

there appears to be plenty of pad, more than likely your caliper is froze up. It is wierd that the abs light isnt on, maybe it is burned out in the dash because that should throw a sensor...
Old 03-30-2005 | 07:35 PM
Hurricane Game

well, looks like another trip to midas or some such...grrrrr
Old 03-31-2005 | 08:29 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Definately a seized caliper. It's possible not to feel pull with a busted rear caliper. I had to replace one of my rears, caliper was about $120 I think, been a couple of years.
Old 03-31-2005 | 05:41 PM
Hurricane Game

how did you do it? i am going to try it myself....guy @ Midas was a retard. he knew so little, i laughed whole time. anyway.....hard to do? directions? pics? or should i just bend over and bare it again? heh.....i don't want these front rotors to warp! too much invested in those. any suggestions would be SUPER helpful
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:33 PM
Ex-Mod

Originally Posted by dubcnea
how did you do it? i am going to try it myself....guy @ Midas was a retard. he knew so little, i laughed whole time. anyway.....hard to do? directions? pics? or should i just bend over and bare it again? heh.....i don't want these front rotors to warp! too much invested in those. any suggestions would be SUPER helpful
It should be pretty easy. You will have to bleed the system though. Start with the caliper furthest from the master cylinder.
Old 03-31-2005 | 07:16 PM
Hurricane Game

it does say the directions which to do it in the chiltons i have. but i've never had to change one.....i'm assuming i just crimp the line and change it out

guess i'll have to change rear pads too.....blah!