No longer does it use oil...just burns it...yay.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:18 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No longer does it use oil...just burns it...yay.

Ok, so my car finally hit the point where it burns oil and not just use it like other cars... It has almost 105k miles on it...any suggestions on how to fix this ... if it can be fixed...? Or should I use the oil made for 75k+ miles? I have to put oil in it like every other week (i drive alot, being a mobile DJ, driving to VA a whole lot)
Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check for leak first ...

?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

Are you getting any smoke when you accelerate really hard? I'd do a compression test and a leakdown to see if your rings are holding. If they're ok, it could be your valve seals. Either way, if you don't know how to do it yourself, it will be expensive to get it fixed.

Like whatwasthat said, make sure it isn't leaking first though.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much oil are you putting in every other week?

I don't know what to tell you about your problem really. I had a small oil leak, it was <$50 to fix, it was a small leak where the oil filter housing meets the engine.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Im almost positive its not a leak, no oil leaks from the engine, smoke only comes out when there is a low amount of oil in the car... I think it burns the oil because its what my uncle (he knows a bit about cars) told me, when your mileage reaches 100k+ the engine starts to burn...

I will get it checked, though.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That isn't true, that when the milage gets to 100K+ it starts to burn. I am just shy of 140,000 miles and have no issues at all with oil usage. I don't know how much I would trust someone who generalizes things like that. My father is like that, and tries to sound like he knows more than he does. It caused some issues with my old car, and he has some with his truck.

I would bring it to a mechanic, have them run tests which others have mentioned, and see what they say. It may be a seal in the engine, in my Volvo, it was the rear main seal that went bad on me, and I believe my fathers truck had issues with a valve/head seal, something to that effect.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 AM
2003 Acura MDX

:surrender OK, ill take it to a mechanic when/if i have time, thanks for all the feedback. :gheywave: lol
Old 08-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
After my whole engine fiasco and having to buy a second head from a third party, i ended up burning oil. Just did an oil change on Friday and put in some Bahrdall No Smoke along with my Mobil1 10W30... Had a good run on the highway with a friend on Sunday night and he asked me what I did cause there was NO smoke anymore. SO apparently this stuff works quite well. Hopefully won't have any ILL effects from it, but so far so good. Engine typically wear with higher mileage if they have not been maintained or if they have had some sort of catastrophic problem that was not attended to in time (overheating at some point, low oil at some point) in the past. Also, I know the 3.2 Heads are notorious for valve seals after 120000 miles, which is what I attribute mine to. I will be getting my heads redone in about a uyear or so and will also be honing out the cylinders and replacing the rings. This SHOULD fix ANY oil-burning problems I may have.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:01 PM
2003 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by Cornflake
After my whole engine fiasco and having to buy a second head from a third party, i ended up burning oil. Just did an oil change on Friday and put in some Bahrdall No Smoke along with my Mobil1 10W30... Had a good run on the highway with a friend on Sunday night and he asked me what I did cause there was NO smoke anymore. SO apparently this stuff works quite well. Hopefully won't have any ILL effects from it, but so far so good. Engine typically wear with higher mileage if they have not been maintained or if they have had some sort of catastrophic problem that was not attended to in time (overheating at some point, low oil at some point) in the past. Also, I know the 3.2 Heads are notorious for valve seals after 120000 miles, which is what I attribute mine to. I will be getting my heads redone in about a uyear or so and will also be honing out the cylinders and replacing the rings. This SHOULD fix ANY oil-burning problems I may have.

I have a 2.5, not a 3.2... but ill probabbly take it to a performace shop and tell them to get to workin on my engine lol
Old 08-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Racer

Oil probably leaking into the combustion chamber. Take out spark plug and see if you find oil on it.