Newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie questions...

Ok I posted this over in another section and was directed here.
I'm 0 for 1

Here I'll stick it here and appreciate any help..

Newbie questions for g/f..(getting a 96 2.5 TL)

Anyhoo, I have a few questions...

I believe my g/f has found the car she wants. It's a white 96 2.5 TL. It's an auto(are they all?) with 62K miles.
I'm relatively familiar w/ cars as I do all my own work. I'm just unfamiliar w/ Acuras. Is there anything in particular I need to look for? Any problem areas? Are these 5 cynlinders reliable?

And what about performance? I know she's already got me lookin at a spoiler and new rims for her.. But is she pretty much stay w/ 175 horsepower(I think that's right?) If there are mods how well do they respond to them?..

Well thanks for any help and sorry for the newbie questions. I've already got quite a bit of good info from this site, but she is probably gonna buy this car tomorrow so that's why I posted...

Again, thanks.

Sam
Old 11-13-2001, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

sup man, welcome to the board, hehe both you and your gf to answer some of your questions, our engines are besically indestructable. as long as you maintain it regularly, it should last you decades. Performance wise unfortunately we only have a few mods to choose from. There's your basic intake (CAI or short ram) and exhaust. more advanced would be the ignition system, fuel system, NOS, and computer chips. all are out there....but for a price. you both will definately enjoy the 1st gen TL. been driving mine for five years and still feels like a new car.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:34 AM
Safety Car

while all the Americans and Europeans spent the last 15 years coming up with umpteen different new engines, The Japanese, Honda in particular, kept the same few and simply made theirs better. The result is an engine that will run great as long as you want it to. They are tough to find, but there are civic owners who baby their cars and do not beat on them, and with proper care Ive seen then run smoothly and quietly at 250,000 miles with no end in sight (as long as that body holds up). you made a very good economical purchase, we get nearly the same performance as other luxury cars at half the price and probably get more reliability.

good luck bro
Old 11-14-2001, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please tell me you arent gonna buy it at Acura of Columbus. They are the absolute worst Acura dealership.

Your G/F will be happy with the tl its a nice comfortable ride.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Cool :)

Thanks for the posts guys. She got the car tonight and loves it. This car is immaculate. I've searched and could not find one scratch or nick. Here is the pic the dealership (Honda East) had on the internet which is how I found it. I dont know how long this will work:

We'll have other pics shortly..

It appears I am already searching for a spoiler. We'll also be getting rims sometime soon Any help with the spoiler would be great. I found the link on the site w/ one that is already painted. Anyone have this or know anything about it?..

Well thanks again.

-Sam
Old 11-14-2001, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: :)

Originally posted by SamZman
Thanks for the posts guys. She got the car tonight and loves it. This car is immaculate. I've searched and could not find one scratch or nick. Here is the pic the dealership (Honda East) had on the internet which is how I found it. I dont know how long this will work:

We'll have other pics shortly..

It appears I am already searching for a spoiler. We'll also be getting rims sometime soon Any help with the spoiler would be great. I found the link on the site w/ one that is already painted. Anyone have this or know anything about it?..

Well thanks again.

-Sam

I saw that tl last week when I was at Lindsay acura . Just happen to of drove buy Honda east. Good luck to you.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

i got my spoiler for 100 bucks off ebay, it's the wings west one. and got it painted for 75 bucks at a local body shop. if you want genuine acura stuff, definately buy it from this site.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hi samzman: welcome to the board. as for performance, unx is right, our 1st generation TL is limited to aftermarket goodies. 2nd gen has many more for some odd reason.. Your girl made a good decision on the purchase. is it a 2.5 or 3.2? i think you mentioned something about 5 cylinder so i guess she got a 2.5. the thing about 5 bangers is that if anything goes wrong with the engine, it'll cost a lot to fix due to the rare 5 cylinder engine but you shouldn't get any engine problems if you take good care and maintenance for it. Besides, our cars are built in JAPAN...100% too so we're in good hands.

as for spoilers.. im not a big fan of spoilers, especially on luxury 4 door cars but if its what your girl likes...hey, go for it! just spoil her hehe you might get some ahaha just kidding! as for wheels....I wouldn't go for wheels that are made for racing or ones that look "sporty" Try getting some big chrome ones...but thats just my taste in rims for luxury cars but as i said before...whatever floats your boat.

heres an idea what your girls car can look like without a spoiler and some nice big chrome wheels..
Old 11-15-2001, 01:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no spoiler and with some ballin chromy chrome!!
Old 11-15-2001, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Thanks

She likes the spoiler that is in your parts section. The smaller factory one,nothing huge. I also like the clean look, but I think the small spoiler also looks nice, and it isnt that expensive.

You're definitely right about rims. I definitely wont get sporty rims for the TL. The ones in your pic are sweet but I wouldnt get something quite that gawdy for her

unx979,

So are you happy w/ the Wings West spoiler? They sell that one in the parts section in here. How is the fit? Do you have any pics?...
Old 11-15-2001, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeah the fit is perfect. you only need to drill four premarked holes in the trunk. not that hard. make sure you unhook the 3rd brake light first. i tried to hook up both the brake lights and it blew a fuse. and i couldn't start my car cause of that. long ass story. anyways here's a side picture, i didn't get one from behind. sorry.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:23 PM
Instructor

nice

Very nice pic!

Thanks for posting the pic and for the tips.. I'll probably be ordering it shortly

-Sam